For All You Canton Fans - Reference 7K Review

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Pretty good measurements.

I've noticed A4L has been out of any Canton Reference or Vento speakers lately...

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
AC4L no longer is a distributor. Another company took over and they charge at least twice as much across the board.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Canton Speakers are not cheap. Dunno what the A4L deal was, exactly, but when I was auditioning Speakers at a Dealer in Marin, he had some Cantons... Lovely...
Not exactly affordable. ;)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
This or last year Canton silently changed the size of their 7" (180 mm) woofers/midranges to 6.8" (174 mm) across their various lines, even for models discontinued years ago like the Vento 886 (new version is 886.2, which I own). This includes the Reference series, at least the current ones.

That said, the Canton specs on their homepage is nearly worthless but at least I believed they got the size of woofers correct.

Discontinued years ago: https://www.canton.de/de/produkte/archiv/vento-886-dc

Current model: https://www.canton.de/de/produkte/hifi/vento-serie/vento-886.2-dc

Current model: https://www.canton.de/de/produkte/reference-k/reference-7-k

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those sure look like the pair I found on Craigslist out here for $2450.

00s0s_3aGNNOzI7mXz_0oA0CI_1200x900.jpg

The image alone jumped out and bit me. Aside from a cosmetic ding on the back of one they're gorgeous speakers, Canton Reference 7.2DC. Older version of the same speaker?

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
AC4L no longer is a distributor. Another company took over and they charge at least twice as much across the board.
That's true, but if this review and measurements are to be believed, the Reference 7K, at $6,995/pair, and its stable mates may still represent a pretty good value for a premium speaker, compared to similarly sized premium models from other manufacturers. For example, similarly sized Focal models in their Kanta and Sopra lines are priced way higher, especially after Focal's recent ~25% price increase.

And B&W is apparently jacking up their 800 series models by ~20%. The similarly sized 804 D4 will go for $12,500/pair and the smaller 804 D4 will cost $8,000.

To me, the 7K competes with those brands aesthetically, so it comes down to whether or not those competitors sound quality is worth nearly twice the price. Also, I like the way the tweeter is placed below the mid driver since my ear level on my sofa is only about 33 inches above the floor.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic

View attachment 49934

The image alone jumped out and bit me. Aside from a cosmetic ding on the back of one they're gorgeous speakers, Canton Reference 7.2DC. Older version of the same speaker?

It could be, but the bass and mid drivers look to be different. I think they both have the ceramic tweeter.

Yes, that set you found is strikingly good looking.

Here is the Reference 7K:

1630027198258.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It could be, but the bass and mid drivers look to be different. I think they both have the ceramic tweeter.

Yes, that set you found is strikingly good looking.

Here is the Reference 7K:

View attachment 49939
I kept squinting between the 2 to look for differences and am having trouble telling them apart. They both have the double roll surrounds on the drivers too.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 49934

It's the previous model and Canton refreshes their Reference line every 5 years or so.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I kept squinting between the 2 to look for differences and am having trouble telling them apart. They both have the double roll surrounds on the drivers too.
Better pics and description here:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis