FM antenna? Can I use TV's?

M

Moonlight

Audioholic Intern
Hi

I read somewhere recently that the same antenna shouldn't be used for both TV and FM radio.
I have my coax RG6 TV antenna cable connected to a Belkin Pure AV powerboard which then connects to a Strong twin tuner SD PVR.
There is a loop out for the antenna. Can I simply connect an RG6 coax cable
from here into my Pioneer receiver's antenna in for FM radio?
Is this the usual method or not recommended?

Cheers

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, Moonlight. I can't think of a reason not to give it a try. It won't hurt anything. It just might not give you the reception that you want, which I believe is what led to the statement from the other source that you shouldn't use the same antenna for TV and FM radio. Antennas are designed for certain frequencies or frequency ranges. However, the FM radio antenna that came with one of my receivers (just the straight thin wire kind) pulls in digital TV signals quite well. So, my advice is to just give it a go and see how well it works for you.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with Adam. The FM radio band falls between channels 6 and 7 on the VHF band, so a VHF antenna will usually work for FM as well.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I've been doing this for years with great results.

But, some antennas have a built-in FM trap that might put a damper on things. Try it and see how it works.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If it's a simple 'rabbit ears' antenna, it will work fine but you may need to change the length, depending on where you are in relation to the transmitting tower. If you're really close, you don't need much more than a cheap dipole- anything more will usually overload the tuner.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I have a splitter on my roof antenna and I use it for FM as well as TV. It works great.

In the bedroom, I use some old rabbit ears and they also work well.

Jim

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a rabbit ears from an old Sony20" TV that's connected to the off-air input of my DirecTV H20 receiver and it works fine. The antenna is laying on top of the receiver, as short as possible and the two arms are at about a 75 degree angle to each other.

Could the fact that I'm less than 1/2 mile from the tower have any effect on this?

Signed,

Glowing in the dark

basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
Yes, you CAN use a TV antenna for FM reception, though the performance won't be as good as a dedicated FM antenna.

TV antennas have compromises built in.. they generally combine VHF lo and VHF high bands and many also have a set of UHF elements. All of this it tied together and the efficiency is greatly compromised. Also, there is no elements cut for the 3-meter FM broadcast band. You must rely on the VHF-lo elements, which are designed for 54-108Mc. This has directional selectivity limitations:

Because the wavelength of the signal is too small for the VHF-lo elements, the antenna's front to back ratio (it's ability to select signals directly in front of it, but reject signals from behind) is very poor to nonexistent. So a TV antenna is not much good for FM "DX" listening, where one must be able to, say, reject Hartford, CT, in order to get Boston, MA, just 20° east.

TV antennas tend to have many lobes, scattered around the azimuth plane, looking sort of like a starfish pattern, at 88-108Mc. The behavie psuedo omni-directionally at these frequencies. You'll pick up lots of stations in a metro area or suburb, but you'll also have a lot of non-local stations with co-channel interference from other non-local stations. For instance, you might be trying to receive a station in Patterson, NY, 23 miles away, but receive interference from a New London, CT station on the same frequency, 72 miles away off the back of the antenna beam. A dedicated FM antenna will deal with this much better.

It all depends on how important FM reception is.
If you ask me, personally, the FM band is not worth the price of a tuner anymore. It's garbage "music" for the kiddies and all heavily processed til it there's only 1/2dB of dynamic range left.
I only have an FM tuner for one reason, because I host a radio show and need to monitor the FM station that carries it, so I can relay it over my web site's audio feed for international listeners. Otherwise I would have sold the tuner by now.

Hope this helps..

X

XeoNoX

Enthusiast
If you are talking about using a separate VHF antenna that was designed for TV on your FM/AM radio that won't hurt anything and will work better than no antenna.

Now if you are planning on using your FM/AM radio antenna on your TV then make sure you do not hook up a TV and a VHF radio to the same antenna unless you plan to RECEIVE only (when doing this do note that in certain geographical locations you may get more interference doing this than in other areas)
Also note that if you use certain Radio antennas that send/receive on your TV that transmitting 25 WATTS into the RF input of TV will damage the tuner in the TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis