Florida Audioholics Get Together

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
This is my favorite thread I have ever followed on this site. Good company, amazing gear and by the looks of it an amazing spread of food put forth by majorloser and loserwife. Like the song goes "these are a few of my favorite things". Job well done!

Last edited:
loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
Nick handles a lot of our general sales inquiries and is a pretty knowledgeable guy. He also handles the shipping. Pick an XPA-5 up recently? Carry several up and down the stairs on an average day...ouch.
Guess who did all the unpacking and packing of the gear (just kidding Dann):p

dann g.

dann g.

Enthusiast
Guess who did all the unpacking and packing of the gear (just kidding Dann):p
Ha!

That reminds me of unloading a truck last year...middle of July...HOT. Chris, who at the time was hired for summer help, myself and Lonnie...unloading and stacking a LOT of amps...

Chris had only been around 2 weeks or so, I guess. During a break, we were all sitting there, sweating and breathing hard...I looked at Chris and said, 'Dude, I don't care if I ever see you again, I'm just glad you're here today.' We all laughed and went back to work.

I do ok, but I'll say this...I wouldn't arm wrestle Nick.

majorloser

majorloser

Awol

Mazer has yet to show his face. Says he's working.

So I guess I can sell off these SVS bookshelves to recoup some of my expenses. :rolleyes:

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
man I was sure wishing I could have listen to the Krells and Onix tube amp. Dang Dang Dang. I know I know family waiting on me is no excuse.

engtaz

ricocetj

ricocetj

Junior Audioholic
man I was sure wishing I could have listen to the Krells and Onix tube amp. Dang Dang Dang. I know I know family waiting on me is no excuse.

engtaz
You and me both. Maybe next time!

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
How are you Matt? When do you think you will be back in the states?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
So, am I seriously the only one who had to cancel on this thing? :eek: Now I really feel like a schmuck. :D Man, after reading the follow-up posts and seeing the pictures, I really regret not being able to make it - Dave and Yvette, you both hosted a fine event from the sounds of it, and for the sake of all who did attend, I will extend my thanks to you both for doing so, even thought I couldn't make it. :)

Oh, and glad to see the Green Fairy stayed on the shelf... no telling what the outcome might have been if she had turned loose her evil. :D :D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and glad to see the Green Fairy stayed on the shelf... no telling what the outcome might have been if she had turned loose her evil. :D :D
With the amaze of equipment at Major's house, the possibility of broken equipment increases tenfold.

majorloser

majorloser

A few people asked about my "El Cheapo" bookshelf stand we were using for the bookshelf shootout. They are portable workbenches. They work out perfectly for comparing bookshelf speakers "side-by-side" since they are:

• Eaxctly 30 inches high.
  • Can be adjusted in width to handle very large speakers.
  • Have a bed large enough to handle either three normal sized speakers or two larger speakers.
  • Can handle more weight than most cheap bookshelf stands.
  • Are very sturdy.
  • Can actually be used as a workbench when not needed for speakers. :rolleyes:

In this case I was using some black rubber drawer liner to pad the top and prevent damage to the speakers. I guess you could cover them with a tablecloth if you want to take pictures. But I've been using them for a couple years and they work out well for temporary stands for comparisons.

Here's the link to Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47844

I had also purchased three sets of the Sanus 30" stands for the GTG for use with the Emotiva 7.1 system, but they're not as sturdy and you can't get two speakers very close to each other.

What I need to find now is a decent portable and cheap equipment rack. Probably something along the lines of a pro rack or stand. And I need to come up with a good A/B switch. Something with gain pots would be nice. Remote control would even be sweet. Unfortunately the "remote control" person (jvgilow) in the picture above doesn't come to my house very often and the wife won't do it for me either.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
And I need to come up with a good A/B switch. Something with gain pots would be nice. Remote control would even be sweet. Unfortunately the "remote control" person (jvgilow) in the picture above doesn't come to my house very often and the wife won't do it for me either.
You might be able to use this in the same manner as the Philips one I had at your house for stereo audio (use as 1 IN 4 OUT instead of 4 IN 1 OUT). No gain pots, but I've read negative things about using potentiometers at speaker-level for level-matching speakers. The switching should really be done line-level before the amp, then adjust the channel gains to level match (like we did at Lollapaloser '08).

I know from user reviews that you cannot use the other RCA in/outs (component video etc) for audio switching, because the Monoprice switcher doesn't pass them straight-through like the audio.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10112

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi,
For the first time in my life, I wish I lived in Florida in July. It sounds as if that was a great gathering. I remember reading about the one Warp Drive put on in Wisconsin a while back which sounded equally enjoyable. I might have to get off my butt and try to organize something like that for the midwest. Of course I am not sure how many people live near me for something like that to happen.

Pheaton

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Great people, Great Hosts, standup vender, and it was real nice to get to talk to Gene in person.
I had a blast.

engtaz

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis