Floorstanding speakers around 2000$

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Experts,

I need your opinion before waste a considerable amount of money... :)

I need to replace the front and central speakers of my 7.2 system with floorstanding model. I do not only watch movies, but I listen music as well (rock, reggae, electro & similar)

I was impressed by the Klipsch RF-82 II and the central RC-62 II.
I tried the monitor audio silver and didn't like, and the B&W are out of my budget.

The room is 5mt by 7mt.

What are your recommendation?

Thanks!!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am assuming that you already have 2 Subs via your 7.2 configuration. If you have a 2K budget for Fronts and Centers I can make a recommendation based on having these speakers in my bedroom:

GoldenEar Triton 7: List $1398.00 Should be able to get these down to $1100 from a dealer
GoldenEar SuperCenter XL List $799.00 Again should be able to get at least 15% $680.00 off list from dealer

I have been very impressed with the sound quality of these speakers, so much so that I am considering the soon to be released Triton 1s for my main system when they come out in June

- These do not have built in subs
- Not the prettiest speakers but they sound great

GoldenEar Technology Triton Seven Loudspeaker Reviewed
GoldenEar Triton Seven Home Theater Speaker System - HomeTheaterHiFi.com
Triton Series | GoldenEar Technology | A Passion for Sonic Perfection

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I need to replace the front and central speakers of my 7.2 system with floorstanding model. I do not only watch movies, but I listen music as well (rock, reggae, electro & similar)

I was impressed by the Klipsch RF-82 II and the central RC-62 II.

What are your recommendation? Thanks!!
I prefer the JBL Studio 5 series over Klipsch - check out JBL in your country
Studio 590 | Professional-quality 250-watt Floorstanding Speaker | JBL US

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/Studio-580/STUDIO 580_JBL_US?skuId=STUDIO 580BK_JBL_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly&sCatId=cat140013

Studio 520C | High-frequency 150-watt Center Channel Speaker | JBL US

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just audition as many brands as you can even if they are out of budget just to get a feel. If the Klipsch still sound better or as good as other brands even more expensive, then buy the Klipsch. You never know. You may end up thinking the Klipsch are better than $5K Revel, KEF, B&W. It's about preference.

Revel, KEF, RBH, B&W, PSB, Paradigm, etc.

Last edited:
S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Thanks to all!!! I will take a look to the JBL and Goldenear at my local shop here in Japan.

My budget is 2K for left/right + 1K for the central.

AcuDefTechGuy, I did listen 6K to 10K speakers to get the difference, and they sound of course better :) but unfortunately I can't afford...

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
Agarwalro,

almost all the big brands: there are Deli, JBL, fostex, bose, yamaha, audio technica, elac, sony, pioneer, victor, focal, onkyo, tannoy, denon, audiopro, dynaudio, vienna acoustic, piega, sonus faber, alr/Jordan, pmc, cambridge audio and kenwood, plus what you mentioned. These are the "easy to find" and available for demo: probably digging in internet something more...

no goldenear for example... I will try them next week in Singapore but no dealer here...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you auditioned the RBH SX-6300 towers?

Or KEF R-700?

Or Revel F206?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
"air/Jordan" does Michael Jordan make speakers now :)...On a side note you are correct no Golden Ear Dealers in Japan, but they do have one in Singapore according to their website. So many choices, take your time and try them all :)

A & L Audio Station ( S ) Pte Ltd.

1 Coleman Street #02-35.
Singapore, SINGAPORE

Phone: +65 9220 1630
http://www.alaudio.com.sg

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
there are Deli, JBL, fostex, bose, yamaha, audio technica, elac, sony, pioneer, victor, focal, onkyo, tannoy, denon, audiopro, dynaudio, vienna acoustic, piega, sonus faber, alr/Jordan, pmc, cambridge audio and kenwood, plus what you mentioned.
Lot of good brands in there and even some I don't recognize. I think in the $2k range, it will be best if you can do in-home demo.

Here are a few to try,
Dali Ikon 6 or 7
Kef R Series Tower
Dynaudio DM 3/7
Focal Chorus 826W (these may be over budget, but close enough that it warrants a demo)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can you get the Revel F206 for 2K, every dealer I was looking at when I picked up my 100s were selling them for like 3k a pair?
All depends on the dealer for sure. :D

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy,

looks like no RBH here. I did listen the KEF and didn't like, the sound is a little bit "close" for my taste. Didn't try the Revel, will keep in consideration (can't find in my usual shop but they have a Japanese website, so should be available somewhere....)

Cos,

don't know, just copy/paste the brand list :) :)

Agarwalro,

I didn't like the Dali, same as the KEF... Dynaudio was one of my option :) will try the focal chorus

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy,

looks like no RBH here. I did listen the KEF and didn't like, the sound is a little bit "close" for my taste. Didn't try the Revel, will keep in consideration (can't find in my usual shop but they have a Japanese website, so should be available somewhere....)

Cos,

don't know, just copy/paste the brand list :) :)

Agarwalro,

I didn't like the Dali, same as the KEF... Dynaudio was one of my option :) will try the focal chorus
What is the best sounding speakers you've heard thus far?

S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy,

What is the best sounding speakers you've heard thus far?
B&W 803 SD, my absolute favourites :) just little over budget...

3db, no PSB here unfortunately... thanks for the recommendation

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy,

B&W 803 SD, my absolute favourites :) just little over budget...
What is the "SD"?

Is it the 803D2 (2nd Generation Diamond) or 803D1 (1st Gen Diamond) ?

Preference is a very interesting thing for sure.

I love the sound of my B&W 802D2 also. But you know a lot of people think B&W speakers suck. :D

A friend visited my abode recently and he didn't even want to "waste" his time listening to the 802D2. :D

But you prefer the B&W 803 over KEF R-700 and Monitor Audio.

Preference. :D

How did the B&W CM speakers sound to you?

Last edited:
S

stonemarten

Junior Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy,

What is the "SD"?
"SD" code is what they use here...

How did the B&W CM speakers sound to you?
today I had some time and went to the shop: the CM10 and 9 sound fantastic, but again over budget... :mad:

I tried also

- Dynaudio DM 3/7 and X38 (special offer at 1700 $): didn't like
- Monitor audio bronze and silver: don't kill me :), but I think that the bronze sounds better than the silver... nice speakers
- Klipsch again and still like them but the CM are way better

Focal 826W and JBL 5905C were not available: will try soon

I'm starting to think that maybe I have to wait a little bit more and buy the CM9, or just give up and keep what I have today...

I read that some people recommend to buy drivers (like scan speak) and DYI: what's your opinion? I have some knowledge in wood job (I can build the box) but 0 on how to do the crossover...

thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis