Floor Standing v/s Bookshelf

Y

yoda_on_coffee

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hello People ,

I was at an audio store today abd the guy there told me that
for front channels the decision between floor standing
speakers and bookshelfs on a stand is just an aesthetic one.
How true is that ? I always assumed that floor standing
speakers sounded better.

Also has anybody here tried fluance speakers .. The link is
www.fluance.com . The specs look good and so are the prices .. but they look too good to be true. What do you guys
say ?

Y_O_C</font>

<font color='#000080'>That's absurd to generalize like that. Floorstanding speakers will typically deliver more low end than bookshelf speakers - but everything has to be examined on a case-by-case basis.

The part where aethestics comes in is whether or not you have the room, budget or the WAF to support floorstanding speakers.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Floor standers are great in 2 channel mode when connected to a high powered amp and in a huge room requiring SPL but in case of HT, you need imaging and that is where bookshelf size front, center and surrounds come alive, the low end in this case being handled by a competent sub and it can be in pair. A floor stander would never give you pin point imaging like the bookshelfs and are also a pain logisticaly with the wife acceptance factor being very low. The bookshelfs are very easy to place and are prone to less influence from room acoustics.</font>

Y

yoda_on_coffee

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks guys ...

Yamahaluver .. what is SPL ?</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>SPL= Sound Pressure Level.  A non gearhead woulda just said &quot;volume&quot; or &quot;how loud it is.&quot;

I think if you plan on using a sub, the choice between bookshelf and floorstanders can in large part be an aethetic one.  That said, it is true in general terms that bookshelf speakers tend to image better d/t their small front baffles, while floorstanders tend to play louder without strain and sound more &quot;open&quot; than bookshelf d/t their larger size/internal volume.

I tend to view using stands (mandatory for a bookshelf used as mains) as a PITA.  I'd rather spend the money on larger speakers than stands, but that would depend a bit on the individual speaker.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Best for you money (Bang for buck) would be to consider Definitive Technology&quot;s BP2004TLs.  250w RMS 10&quot; in sub built into each. and excellent build quality.  My personal fav, along with Mackie's HR824, which I finally got a chance to hear cause a fellow student brought his in for a presentation (they filled a comp lab thats around 60'w by 40'd and 15-18' ceilings.

Just my 2 cents</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Another alternative would be the PM700s from Definitive if you are interested in bookshelf speakers with extra kck. a nice plus is they come in cherry as well as black which is a WAF repelent LOL.</font>

S

singhal2

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>yamahaluver what is imaging that u talked about......i saw the mission m72 which i had kinda liked(bookshelves)....and then i auditioned the infinity and yamaha and i was amazed at the sound quality(floorstanders),but i heard them more with music and only one dvd(terminator)..... i guess floorstanders sound much better overall audiologically and the bookshelves have their advantages so far as space etc is concerned,but then indiviual speakers are different.....and also it would be nice if u could simplify the explanation as a whole !!!!!! i am an absolute newbie !!!!!!!!!!!

thanx

singhal2

P.S this request is for the administrator, i think it will be a good idea to have a separate section where &nbsp;one can add the commonly used short forms like SPL,LOL,PITA, and tons of others,sometimes it is just too difficult to understand what is being conveyed.......it will help newcomers especially..</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
singhal2 : yamahaluver what is imaging that u talked about......i saw the mission m72 which i had kinda liked(bookshelves)....and then i auditioned the infinity and yamaha and i was amazed at the sound quality(floorstanders),but i heard them more with music and only one dvd(terminator)..... i guess floorstanders sound much better overall audiologically and the bookshelves have their advantages so far as space etc is concerned,but then indiviual speakers are different.....and also it would be nice if u could simplify the explanation as a whole !!!!!! i am an absolute newbie !!!!!!!!!!!

thanx

singhal2

P.S this request is for the administrator, i think it will be a good idea to have a separate section where  one can add the commonly used short forms like SPL,LOL,PITA, and tons of others,sometimes it is just too difficult to understand what is being conveyed.......it will help newcomers especially..
Hi,

Unlike 2channel stereo music, in HT one needs to hear the original directionality of the program material so for instance if in the movie you see the door close on your left side then the sound should only come from the left side and reach your ears. Shoudnt come diffused and with floor-standers that is the problem.

The reason you liked floor standers is because of the bass content compared to the bookshelfs, add a sub to the bookshelfs and see the situation equalize.

BTW: Try and audition the Yamaha NS-100.</font>

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>There is defenetly a difference between floorstand speakers and bookshelf... been the former much more &quot;full range&quot; since it produces more bass than the later.

For the front channel, when there is no WAF issues I think its a no brainner going for floorstanding, for a high end HT setup.

My 2 cents
</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Sorry about the &quot;slang&quot;. &nbsp;But you won't find PITA in the glossary; it's short for &quot;pain in the arse&quot;!
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis