Floor speaker spacing

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Hello. Looking for some advice on my floor speaker placement. Should I spread floor speakers out a little more?
The room is 17ft in width. The floor speakers are about 2.5ft from the side wall and about 10in from the back wall.
IMG_7698.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How far from each other are they, on center?
Photo, to me, looks a little wide... but...

I would likely pull them into the room further, if mine... at least 18" from front wall to back of Speaker, more if possible.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How far from each other are they, on center?
Photo, to me, looks a little wide... but...

I would likely pull them into the room further, if mine... at least 18" from front wall to back of Speaker, more if possible.
Ummm... a little math done... ;) 12' apart seems too wide to me, but so much depends also on seating distance and what not... I would likely try them a little closer, again if mine.

As always, YMMV, and personal preferences and experience in your own room trump all. :D

BTW... get some padding and area rug down infront of those speakers to break up the Floor Bounce, some. ;)

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
Ummm... a little math done... ;) 12' apart seems too wide to me, but so much depends also on seating distance and what not... I would likely try them a little closer, again if mine.

As always, YMMV, and personal preferences and experience in your own room trump all. :D

BTW... get some padding and area rug down infront of those speakers to break up the Floor Bounce, some. ;)
the measurement is 5ft from center speaker to each tower. We're currently sitting at least 12-14ft back from the speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems fine to me altho I might also pull them more into the room (and floor coverings)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I just can not emphasize enough that we still fail to correct the bad advice we give on this forum that speakers be placed far too close together. Optimal spacing for mains is actually in the 12 to 14 ft. range if the room allows. You get a much better sound stage that way.

The next issue is that most designers set BSC for speakers to be optimally placed 10 to 14 inches from the side and back walls. So if your room is 14 foot wide placing the speakers 12 ft. apart would be optimal.

If you can't space your speakers at least 8 ft. or more apart then you are probably better off without a center speaker. Those distances are from the centers of the drivers.

My mains are 12 ft. center to center apart, which makes them 6 ft. from the center speaker. I think the fact that I now have a bigger room, is the main reason image and depth of soundstage has improved so much.

The advice most give on this forum about this issue is just wrong, and really wrong at that.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, what they all said.:p Points for not putting those things smack up against the sides of the entertainment center.:eek: What you have there is a nice room for placement options. Play with it and enjoy. I would move them forward and also out about a foot with a bit of toe-in but that’s just me and opinions are like a$$holes… lots o’ both ‘round here.;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would also lower the display so the bottom edge is just at the same height as the top of the center. I would except off screen panning to improve as well as comfort. Why is it so high?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well, the nice thing about speaker placement is that you can muck around all you want for free. I still don't feel I have it quite right after 10 years. :D
People may not be aware of that speaker's particular design. It is likely heavily influenced by positioning relative to back and side walls.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it looks pretty good. Sounds like you have pretty close to an equilateral triangle, but could maybe pull them out into the room a bit more. Agree with TLS' sentiment about having speakers far enough apart. We do see some pretty tight layouts sometimes, but we also work within the confines of our spaces. Mine are 10' apart, each 5' from the center channel and I'd spread them a little further apart if I didn't have room boundaries preventing it.

Aaron Kwekel

Aaron Kwekel

Audioholic
I would also lower the display so the bottom edge is just at the same height as the top of the center. I would except off screen panning to improve as well as comfort. Why is it so high?
Plan on upgrading in size eventually so I don't have to move the mount. Looking at the 77" LG Oled.I currently have the 65inch oled

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I just can not emphasize enough that we still fail to correct the bad advice we give on this forum that speakers be placed far too close together. Optimal spacing for mains is actually in the 12 to 14 ft. range if the room allows. You get a much better sound stage that way.

The next issue is that most designers set BSC for speakers to be optimally placed 10 to 14 inches from the side and back walls. So if your room is 14 foot wide placing the speakers 12 ft. apart would be optimal.

If you can't space your speakers at least 8 ft. or more apart then you are probably better off without a center speaker. Those distances are from the centers of the drivers.

My mains are 12 ft. center to center apart, which makes them 6 ft. from the center speaker. I think the fact that I now have a bigger room, is the main reason image and depth of soundstage has improved so much.

The advice most give on this forum about this issue is just wrong, and really wrong at that.
Agree, if space permits, move the speakers wider and set in your fav position and listen. I gave up on doing measurements and just started moving my speakers until I found a spot that they sounded best to me. Currently my mains are about 11.5 ft from each other, with a slight toe in. .OF course everyone's room is different so play around with position until it fits your taste.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis