Floor speaker sideways

J

jdelaute

Audiophyte
I'd like to put a floorstanding loudspeaker on its side. What effect will this have on the sound? Is it adviseable?

Thanks,
JD

J

jamie2112

Banned
No its not advisable.What are you trying to do ,use a floorstander as a ctr?.Won't a bookshelf speaker do? It would be helpful to explain why you are setting a speaker on its side.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd like to put a floorstanding loudspeaker on its side. What effect will this have on the sound? Is it adviseable?

Thanks,
JD
This is a bad Idea IMO.

1. It places a boundary on one side of the speaker Limiting dispersion.

2. It unaligns the Tweeter and midrange speakers so that they don't arrive at the appropriate time. It also introduces nulls in the listening room.

3. It's gonna be hard to make it look good in most cases.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks,
JD
No, it's not advisable. Lobing effects may occur only at or around the xover points, but if you have any sort of directional lens/waveguide/phase-diffusor, then absolutely don't do it.

J

jdelaute

Audiophyte
Jamie,
My living room has vaulted cielings with a small loft underneath one side. The loft is about 9 feet off the ground and is essentially unused space. The living room floor is hardwood and I use it as a dancefloor. Dancefloors have an oval shape, so I could put the speakers in the corners without them getting in the way. However there is a lot of feedback in this forum saying not to put speakers in corners.

I don't know enough about speakers to say whether a bookshelf speaker would work. The floor speaker has a sub, a woofer, a midrange, and a tweeter so I assumed it would have a response(?)\quality of sound much better than a bookshelf speaker. Also I do not currently have a bookshelf speaker.

Anyway the loft seemed like a good place to put speakers so I thought I would ask.

Cheers,
JD

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Jamie,
My living room has vaulted cielings with a small loft underneath one side. The loft is about 9 feet off the ground and is essentially unused space. The living room floor is hardwood and I use it as a dancefloor. Dancefloors have an oval shape, so I could put the speakers in the corners without them getting in the way. However there is a lot of feedback in this forum saying not to put speakers in corners.

I don't know enough about speakers to say whether a bookshelf speaker would work. The floor speaker has a sub, a woofer, a midrange, and a tweeter so I assumed it would have a response(?)\quality of sound much better than a bookshelf speaker. Also I do not currently have a bookshelf speaker.

Anyway the loft seemed like a good place to put speakers so I thought I would ask.

Cheers,
JD
You'd be better off in the corners than in the loft on your side.

It's not ideal, but no one here has an ideal room. It's impossible. So we get as close as we can with the given parameters.

I must suggest 4 bookshelves mounted throughout the room for your needs. corner load a sub in 2 of the corners. And that would be great for dance.

2 Pairs of Behringer 2030p's would fill the bill. :)

i know you probably don't have that option, but hey just tossing it out there. those speakers would cost you around 250 for all of them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Jamie,

Cheers,
JD
What are those speakers? They sound like a hangover from the sixties or early seventies, before dome tweeters appeared. I have a strong suspicion they are not good speakers and a lot worse than a decent modern bookshelf design.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
What are those speakers They sound like a hangover from the sixties or early seventies, before dome tweeters appeared. I have a strong suspicion they are not good speakers and a lot worse than a decent modern bookshelf design.
Take a picture for us.

J

jdelaute

Audiophyte
The speakers are 25 years old, based on a design by Oracle Audio Technologies, but actually homemade with phillips drivers. I haven't purchased them yet, but I was planning to do so. I guess now would be a good time to change my mind :)
lansing.craigslist.org/ele/1276652340.html

Still, what I have right now are two KLH speakers with 10" woofers and a tweeter. They sound terrible, but perhaps that is because they are up on the loft. I figured that for $50 the oracle design speakers would work better... or at least would have some midrange?

I can look into the bookshelf monitor speakers. I think $200 I could spend, but not $500. For that reason maybe powered monitors would be better?

In the meantime I will try putting my existing speakers in the corners, instead of on the loft, and report on how that sounds.

Sorry to make this question about the speaker types; I know the forum's theme is actually about placement.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The speakers are 25 years old, based on a design by Oracle Audio Technologies, but actually homemade with phillips drivers. I haven't purchased them yet, but I was planning to do so. I guess now would be a good time to change my mind :)

Still, what I have right now are two KLH speakers with 10" woofers and a tweeter. They sound terrible, but perhaps that is because they are up on the loft. I figured that for $50 the oracle design speakers would work better... or at least would have some midrange?

I can look into the bookshelf monitor speakers. I think $200 I could spend, but not $500. For that reason maybe powered monitors would be better?

In the meantime I will try putting my existing speakers in the corners, instead of on the loft, and report on how that sounds.

Sorry to make this question about the speaker types; I know the forum's theme is actually about placement.
Putting any speakers in a loft 10 ft of the ground is a bad idea. The tweeters need to be at ear height.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned

in those craigslist pics the bottom speaker looks like the surround is deteriorated and gone ! do you plan on replacing the drivers ?

J

jdelaute

Audiophyte
in those craigslist pics the bottom speaker looks like the surround is deteriorated and gone ! do you plan on replacing the drivers ?

no I don't, thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to find something else.

L

logoei99

Audiophyte
From where you buy your stand speaker? I want to know about it. I have read reviews of stand speakers from some blogs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
From where you buy your stand speaker? I want to know about it. I have read reviews of stand speakers from some blogs.
Okay, first off this thread is 11 years old, lol.

Are you shopping for speakers? Where are you from? Budget? Ideas?

*Edit: At least the site you linked includes SVS Ultra towers! :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Floor standing and stand speakers are not the same thing....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis