Flaky behavior my new HT system

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
So I recently put together a 2.1 system with a 4k blu ray, 4k TV, and 4k AVR taking advantage of the Black Friday sales (sony ubp x700 blu ray, sony xbr x900 TV, and Yamaha RX A 1070). I've been super happy with this system.

The other day the blu ray player went on the fritz. The background went red and it would not play a 4k blu ray appropriately. Everything was tinged red and no detail. Plus it wouldn't play the DTS HD audio but it would play audio from other languages which used a different code. Just weird.

I figured if all else fails, just reboot so I shut down the HT system, removed and reinserted the HMDI cables, and then powered everything back up. Everything is back to normal. What the heck? Should I return the blu ray player or is this some sort of HDMI handshake issue or what? Can it be the AVR? When I was having trouble with the blu ray video and audio, I was also having trouble with the audio from the cable box (it worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't) which is why I was thinking it was some kind of HDMI issue.

The blu ray and cable box are connected to the AVR with the appropriate monoprice high speed HDMI cable for the blu ray and an older HDMI for the cable box; the arc return between the TV and the AVR also uses an appropriate HDMI cable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard about the red thing, suppose it could be a handshake issue of sorts, altho that usually results in lack of video and/or audio. Maybe related to the connection, was each connection well made (not falling out or loose)?

If it stopped and stays that way you may have solved it without knowing exactly how. Might do something simple like a soft reset (unplug each unit from power for a bit).

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Well at least it wasn't this kind of red although I was imagining the worse when it was happening, :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just keep an eye on things for now, at least don't think there's any reason to return anything yet. Good luck! That was a hell of a wedding scene...knew something bad was going to happen but didn't quite imagine that one. Looking forward to the next installment in the series, or even the prequel.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Make sure you register the components, keep the receipt and make a note how long the warranty is.
You may also call the company for comment..

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I suspect an HDMI cable problem, especially the 'bargain' variety. Although I've not had the 'red' problem, for a time I was annoyed when the screen would go blank for a couple seconds playing a DVD or blu-ray. I've rearranged HDMI cables, so far so good.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I think it may be a cable problem as well since turning everything off and pulling out the HDMI solved it. Still I thought the monoprice certified 4k HDMI cables were supposed to be pretty good.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
When I set my home theater up just over 2 years ago I also had an HDMI cable issue which was causing me intermittent problems. Turned out the cable that came with my Oppo 103D was the culprit. I replaced it and haven't had another problem since....probably because I have a brand new 4K HDMI cable in the box just in case.;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting that so many cable issues with HDMI.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I agree with the others; it may be a cable issue, or perhaps it wasn't seated properly the first time. Handshake issues generally manifest themselves as either a works/doesn't work type of thing so it's unlikely to be that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis