FL 8385 CD Changer and other CD/DVD Changers

H

hsj

Audiophyte
I jst bought a HK FL 8385 CD Changer, primarily cos it had HDCD & Burr Brown processors. The analog output is much lower than the digi coax output at the same volume. I am using an Onkyo HTS 760 - which has the HT -R510 receiver. Also I din't find any difference between the Burr Brown DACs v/s the Onkyo DACs. Any ideas ? I tried both the analog/Digi coax output from my existing Sony DVD player, and the output level was the same though the sound quality was different. So it is not a problem with the receiver. Has anyone had problems with HK spinners ?

Any suggestions on which replacement CD /DVD changers I should go for ? I know this topic has been beaten to death, but here goes again .. with so new affordable CD/DVD combos on the market would a CD changer sound better than a CD/DVD changer. Like say the new Onkyo DV-CP802 or the Denon DVM 1815.

Thx !!!

annunaki

annunaki

If you are planning to use the HDCD decoding, you need to run it analogue. Very few receivers have HDCD decoding capabilities. It is also very difficult, if possible at all, to detect audilble differeces consistently between digital-to-analogue converters. I do not think you are experiencing a problem. What was it you were expecting to hear??

Dedicated CD players tend to sound better than dvd counterparts with CDs. However, some DVD/CD players have twin laser pickups, one for DVD, one for CD. Those can be excellent sounding pieces.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I would vote for separate units. I tried the Denon 1815 for a short time and found it wanting in build quality overall and just wasn't that impressed with it as a CD player (though video output was very good). I replaced it with a Denon 380 (and a 2900 for DVD's) and that turned out to be the better choice for me.

Mort

H

hsj

Audiophyte
Thx for the advice. I guess I was expecting to hear a vast improvement in the sound quality if I went the analog - BUrr Brown way which dint materialize. But my point is why should there be a difference in the sound level at the same volume between analog and the digi coax o/p.
Any suggestions for dvd/cd changers with twin laser pickups.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

My Denon DVD-2200 sounds much better with CDs than my DCM-380.

annunaki

annunaki

Don't fall into the "just because it is louder, it must be better" trap. Many people seem to confuse increased spls with sound quality.

Do extended listening with both analogue and digital coax. Making sure to equalize the average volumes with a hand held spl meter, note any musical differences or details you hear between the two.

There is almost always a difference in realative volume between the digital and analogue outputs.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Who are you talking to? If you're talking to me, the '2200 is not louder than the 380. But it does sound substantially better. It should for twice the price.

You make a point, though. The most basic rule of running a comparison is to level match the components you're comparing. A fraction of a dB makes a difference.

annunaki

annunaki

Sorry Rob, my statement was directed towards Hsj. I should have been more specific. :)

Remember though that most people will not perceive a change in overall volume until at LEAST 3db. However, some people do perceive dynamic differences in music at around 1db (depending upon frequency) or so. Which would seem to be an increase in sound quality, as the dynamics have increased slightly in level.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Oh, no problem. Yeah, you've gotta level match 'em, that's true. :)

H

hsj

Audiophyte
I spoke to HK tech support and this is what I found out. The analog o/p of the changer is 1VRMS as compared to the 2VRMS found on most of the other players. The reason for this being, HDCD can produce upto 6dB of gain depending on how they are encoded.. this also depends on the sound engineer. So to prevent any downstream components getting blown due to the surge while playing a HDCD CD the o/p level was reduced.
I am sure it would not have been difficult to filter the o/p level gain based on CD type recognition instead of setting it to 1VRMS as a one solution fits all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis