Fixing scratched finish on speaker?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
My dog flew down the stairs and crashed right into the stand, and knocked the speaker to the floor face down, scuffing the finish on the front baffle. Seems the magnetic grill was knocked off at some point during the descent and replacing the grill doesn’t completely cover the scratch either. Pretty sure I can’t completely return it to its original state, but I’d like to at least make it less noticeable. Any suggestions?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Black Sharpie pen?

In the past, I've used a product called Scott's Liquid Gold to repair mild scratches in finished wood surfaces. I use the liquid form, not the spray. A small amount, wiped on the scratch, apparently gently dissolves the clear finish and then dries, filling the scratches. I don't know if this would work on paint.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Black Sharpie pen?

In the past, I've used a product called Scott's Liquid Gold to repair mild scratches in finished wood surfaces. I use the liquid form, not the spray. A small amount, wiped on the scratch, apparently gently dissolves the clear finish and then dries, filling the scratches. I don't know if this would work on paint.
The finish is vinyl I believe. Sharpie would probably have a purplish, metallic glint to it that would look even worse. Don’t think the scotts would work.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The finish is vinyl I believe. Sharpie would probably have a purplish, metallic glint to it that would look even worse. Don’t think the scotts would work.
Scratched vinyl would be difficult.

Do a test with a Sharpie pen in a less visible area. Or use black shoe polish, or mascara. Apply the black stuff, and quickly wipe it off with alcohol or mineral spirits. Rinse & repeat several times. The idea is to stain the scratches and not the black vinyl.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Are the baffles removable? If so, I'd get rid of the vinyl on both and paint the grilles a matte finish or something like that or, find out if Klipsch would send you the vinyl kits for the fronts or tell you where to get it.

Screw that. I'd build two custom cabs patterned after the originals but with better finish just for the heck of it.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Scratched vinyl would be difficult.

Do a test with a Sharpie pen in a less visible area. Or use black shoe polish, or mascara. Apply the black stuff, and quickly wipe it off with alcohol or mineral spirits. Rinse & repeat several times. The idea is to stain the scratches and not the black vinyl.
That's a whole lotta scratches to try and cover with an applicator-device, but for the record, the ebony MinWax Wood Finish Stain Marker #2718 is true black without any purple cast and and covers at least as well as a Sharpie.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree with Mr Boat. Your best bet is to build new cabinets. You other option is to remove the vinyl, veneer and then finish the cabinets. In terms of cosmetic appeal that cabinet is wrecked without radical measures.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Have had good results with a Sharpie, but helps to wipe excess so it just covers the scratch. Auto scratch remover can help too, but would test before using on the front. If this does not suffice, could cover with black vinyl.

If you are not up for major woodworking , suggest contacting the speaker vendor. They may be willing to sell a replacement cabinet or some matching vinyl...

Ww

R

Rad_ken

Audiophyte
I would try the shoe polish trick or even a black wood stain. Apply in small amounts to a soft cloth first and rub with the “grain”, the rub excess off immediately with a clean cloth and check the result. It could take a few tries but might do the trick.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Every audiophiles worst nightmare. No dog here but I do have a 1 1/2 year old grandson who's fascinated by all of my speakers in the living room. I shadow him like a hawk whenever he's in there. I crack up that he'll turn around and smile at me before attempting to touch them. If he's trying to give me a heart attack he's succeeding beyond his wildest dreams. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis