Fix or replace? - Denon AVR-X3400H

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
So I think the subwoofer preouts on my Denon AVR-X3400H have finally given up the ghost. I noticed for a while that I was getting no sound from my sub at times (sounded like it was cutting out), then it started working again, now not at all. The sub itself seems to be ok. I'm getting a faint noise from the sub when trying to set the levels. I've also verified that all of my speakers were set to small and the sub appears to be setup correctly. I've ruled out the sub as the issue was occurring on two different subs.

I got the unit for free last year so no big deal there. Has anyone fixed one of these before, or is it time to upgrade? Thanks in advance!

jinjuku

jinjuku

You could try and take it to a repair shop and see if it's a cold solder joint. Don't know if D&M holdings publishes the repair and circuit guides. Could get luck and it's just a cold solder joint.

You can get them for $500 used and keep the current as a parts donor also.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I think the subwoofer preouts on my Denon AVR-X3400H have finally given up the ghost. I noticed for a while that I was getting no sound from my sub at times (sounded like it was cutting out), then it started working again, now not at all. The sub itself seems to be ok. I'm getting a faint noise from the sub when trying to set the levels. I've also verified that all of my speakers were set to small and the sub appears to be setup correctly. I've ruled out the sub as the issue was occurring on two different subs.

I got the unit for free last year so no big deal there. Has anyone fixed one of these before, or is it time to upgrade? Thanks in advance!
You might be lucky, but it is probably the buffer amp IC chip that drives the sub out, or may be the crossover chip.

It is not that old so parts should be available, but good luck finding a tech to work on it. Usually only authorized service center have access to the service manual, which is a disgrace. So you could get a quote from the service center.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

Did you try and move the rca to the Sub 2 pre out?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Denon is selling refurbished 4800s in their website for $1599 fyi. If it were me ,I'd confirm it's not the sub for sure.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
First, I would go into the menu and check the subwoofer level. I would also read the manual, if you haven't. Not fun, but helpful.

Try using the Option button with the On Screen Display to look for controls.

Save the configuration and do a hard reset, then reload the configuration before testing again.

file:///C:/Users/USER/Downloads/AVRX3400H_NA_EN.pdf

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Did you try a different RCA subwoofer cable? Unplug and replug?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did you test the sub particularly? If the sub has an auto-on feature, you've accounted for that? Cables? Both sub ports? Perform any resets of the avr?

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
So I just realized that both the Denon AND my Polk sub are likely going out. I had it running on a different Sony subwoofer before we moved, and it was having the same issue - just not as bad. I had thought it was that sub. Fast forward to now, and the Denon is hooked to the Polk instead of the Sony. Same problem but now worse. Changing the cable didn't help, all settings were correct. I brought a newer Onkyo from another room to replace the Denon, Polk sub is still acting up. Hooked up the Sony sub instead, everything works fine.

Now that I have to get another sub anyway, I'll test that one with the Denon. Hopefully it works. If not, it can make a great donor unit.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It sucks being an amateur at this stuff.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
So I just realized that both the Denon AND my Polk sub are likely going out. I had it running on a different Sony subwoofer before we moved, and it was having the same issue - just not as bad. I had thought it was that sub. Fast forward to now, and the Denon is hooked to the Polk instead of the Sony. Same problem but now worse. Changing the cable didn't help, all settings were correct. I brought a newer Onkyo from another room to replace the Denon, Polk sub is still acting up. Hooked up the Sony sub instead, everything works fine.

Now that I have to get another sub anyway, I'll test that one with the Denon. Hopefully it works. If not, it can make a great donor unit.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It sucks being an amateur at this stuff.
As an amateur you're taking the right approach. If you have the gear in the house to spare, best thing is to swap items and see what's at issue by process of elimination.

K

kmcorolla15

Audioholic Intern
As an amateur you're taking the right approach. If you have the gear in the house to spare, best thing is to swap items and see what's at issue by process of elimination.
Process of elimination works wonders! Moved the Denon to another room with the Sony subwoofer....and apparently it is now working fine. False alarm I guess!

Now the hunt begins for a subwoofer. :cool:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Process of elimination works wonders! Moved the Denon to another room with the Sony subwoofer....and apparently it is now working fine. False alarm I guess!

Now the hunt begins for a subwoofer. :cool:
Likely a cabling issue if moving things around fixed the problem. Here is hoping that it stays that way. ;)

Some good articles and reviews on Audioholics for subwoofers. If you state your approximate budget, members can make some recommendations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis