W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
This is probably an incredibly naive thought, but to get the five "full-range" channels for SACD/DVD-A, is it possible to marry each of five small speakers (thinking of CBM-170) with five El Cheapo subwoofers such as the KLH that can be had at Costco for about 90 dollars? Would this not be the equivalent of having speakers (such as the Paradigm tower) with a built-in sub? Of course the SW channel would get a proper sub (I have an SVS).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
why bother?

Just use 5 full range speakers if that's what you are after. Since the LFE is still pumped thru the SVS, all those ratty little subs will do is to pollute the upper bass/lower midrange and kill whatever imaging there is.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I've seen this done before, but they didn't use cheap subs and the subs were not used to handle the real deep bass. It was a 7.1 system with 6 M&K-MX700 (two - push pull - 8" drivers) subwoofers (on all channels but the center channel) and then it had two MK-350s to handle the deep bass. The result was awesome, but it could really only be done properly with good subwoofers and thus is extremely expensive to do correctly.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Waveform said:
This is probably an incredibly naive thought, but to get the five "full-range" channels for SACD/DVD-A, is it possible to marry each of five small speakers (thinking of CBM-170) with five El Cheapo subwoofers such as the KLH that can be had at Costco for about 90 dollars? Would this not be the equivalent of having speakers (such as the Paradigm tower) with a built-in sub? Of course the SW channel would get a proper sub (I have an SVS).
Yup. That's entirely possible. Commendable? Am not so convinced. Since you already have a proper sub, doesn't the bass management features in your player or receiver take care of the bass requirements for SACD/DVD-A?

Those speaker towers with built-in subs are rather fashionable these days. But I am sure there are internal networks in those speakers than provide seamless integration between their passive and active drivers. You could do the same between a satellite and an active sub. But I think a better alternative would be to have just one SW for the rears. And from the rear SW, you connect the rear satellites. Let me see, $90 for one SW comes to $360 for all fours or $450 including the center. Perhaps you can be much better off with one $500 sub for the rear that can give a more powerful, musical and less distorted bass than each of these "el cheapo" subs can deliver. Just my thoughts.

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
markw said:
Just use 5 full range speakers if that's what you are after. Since the LFE is still pumped thru the SVS, all those ratty little subs will do is to pollute the upper bass/lower midrange and kill whatever imaging there is.
The reason of course is cost. The CBM-170 is well reviewed and has a ruler-flat frequency response down to 90 Hz. The cross-overs on the sub could be set at the 80 - 100 Hz region thereby avoiding muddying the midrange. These subs are probably O.K. down to about 45Hz, which is fine, because the LFE crossover could be set to take over here. This works out to less than 300 bucks per "speaker", and be quite unobtrusive (even if I could afford 5 full -range speakers such as the Paradigm 90P - which I cannot- I don't have a room where I could put 5 tower speakers and not completely dominate the decor and be unacceptable in terms of WAF).

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There are some very expensive SACD & DVD-A players that lack bass management. I believe Sony still advocates 5 full range speakers plus a sub. Actually, with SACD all 6 channels are full range. The 6th is normally used for a LFE, but there's no requirement that it be so used. David Chesky, I think, uses 6 full range channels. Don't quote me on the last part, though- I can't recall for cerain.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Oh btw, I agree that I'd rather have less bass than have five crappy subs. Those KLH ones are pretty lame- basically down there in B(l)ose territory. ;)

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
Rob Babcock said:
There are some very expensive SACD & DVD-A players that lack bass management. I believe Sony still advocates 5 full range speakers plus a sub. Actually, with SACD all 6 channels are full range. The 6th is normally used for a LFE, but there's no requirement that it be so used. David Chesky, I think, uses 6 full range channels. Don't quote me on the last part, though- I can't recall for cerain.
Yes, it is kind of frustrating waiting to see if Sony will ever allow digital signals in the clear (e.*. Denon Link 3rd edition) to enable correct bass management in the digital domain.

As for the quality of the subwoofers being the deal-breaker, there are possibilities other than the KLH such as Wharfedale PowerCube 8 ($200), JBL Northridge E150P (< $ 200), Advent ASW-1200 ($ 140), Sony SA-WM250 ($100).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis