First time separates system, help connect

R

Rae

Enthusiast
Greetings,

I am upgrading from my first integrated (Denon AVR890, Bic PL 200, Pioneer, AJ SP-FS52 x2) to my first separates system.

I have been fortunate to find several used items but even reading a bunch on the forums and watching videos on YouTube I can’t find exactly how to wire everything. A diagram would be so helpful if one exists, I suppose I’m not sure of the exact verbiage to search for.

I will be using:
Zu Audio Dirty weekend speaker x2
Bic PL 200 II
Schitt vidar amp
Schitt freya s pre amp
Gishelli labs J2S DAC
WiiM Pro AirPlay 2
Teac TN-300SE turntable

I am not sure if there is anything else I need but this is what I have so far. I may add an EQ in the future but want to begin listening without it first. I upgraded to sparkos on the RCA on the DAC so won’t be using XLR for now.

If anyone can guide me on how to connect this properly I would much appreciate it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which connections particularly are you having trouble with? Except for the sub looks pretty straightforward. What is a Sparkos upgrade?

R

Rae

Enthusiast
Which connections particularly are you having trouble with? Except for the sub looks pretty straightforward. What is a Sparkos upgrade?
I don’t know why this audio stuff is a mystery to me, maybe it’s my generation but I don’t know the order to connect these things. I don’t fully understand the meaning of in and out on each device.

I have the pioneer speakers in my garage on a Yamaha rs-202, took 5 minutes to setup. I wish this was that easy for me.

Sparkos SS3602 opamp on the RCA.

I am still waiting on the DAC to be built and the freya in the mail so I don’t have all this in front of me yet but once I get it, I’m not sure where to start plugging everything into each other

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So you're really young? :)

Just think about it logically. Your speakers will still connect to the amp with speaker wire. Might review this http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

The pre-amp would be connected to your amp with rca cables.

You'd connect digital sources like your Wiim streamer to your dac, looks like you have a choice of optical or coax so get an appropriate cable. The dac would connect to your pre-amp via rca cables to one of the analog inputs.

You'd connect your tt (using the internal phono stage) to one of the analog inputs on the pre-amp.

Since your gear isn't particularly sub friendly looks like you would use one of the pairs of SE outs on the pre-amp to connect to the L/R inputs on the sub with rca cables....

Like speaker wire, I wouldn't spend money on silly cables, just appropriate ones. Why did you change opamps?

R

Rae

Enthusiast
So you're really young? :)

Just think about it logically. Your speakers will still connect to the amp with speaker wire. Might review this http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

The pre-amp would be connected to your amp with rca cables.

You'd connect digital sources like your Wiim streamer to your dac, looks like you have a choice of optical or coax so get an appropriate cable. The dac would connect to your pre-amp via rca cables to one of the analog inputs.

You'd connect your tt (using the internal phono stage) to one of the analog inputs on the pre-amp.

Since your gear isn't particularly sub friendly looks like you would use one of the pairs of SE outs on the pre-amp to connect to the L/R inputs on the sub with rca cables....

Like speaker wire, I wouldn't spend money on silly cables, just appropriate ones. Why did you change opamps?
I'm going to follow up here once I get all the gear! I'm not particularly young, I grew up in the 90s haha.

I actually had help here choosing my initial setup on this forum and it's served me well since 2017. My receiver might be starting to go (I've had issues with one optical output and moved to the second) this is why I chose to go separates this time around.

I actually purchased this TT in 2018. I received one and thought it was bad cause I couldn't get sound. Got a replacement, still no sound. After reading a bunch about separates, I believe I need to connect a ground or something. So 5 years later going to try this TT again.

I upgraded the opamps because the Dac Chip is AK4499 (an "upgrade" from AK4493), I read and watched many reviews of folks saying the sparkos makes a night and day difference.

If I wanted a true subwoofer input like the Denon had, how would I add that to the system?

Thank you so much for your help by the way.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm going to follow up here once I get all the gear! I'm not particularly young, I grew up in the 90s haha.

I actually had help here choosing my initial setup on this forum and it's served me well since 2017. My receiver might be starting to go (I've had issues with one optical output and moved to the second) this is why I chose to go separates this time around.

I actually purchased this TT in 2018. I received one and thought it was bad cause I couldn't get sound. Got a replacement, still no sound. After reading a bunch about separates, I believe I need to connect a ground or something. So 5 years later going to try this TT again.

I upgraded the opamps because the Dac Chip is AK4499 (an "upgrade" from AK4493), I read and watched many reviews of folks saying the sparkos makes a night and day difference.

If I wanted a true subwoofer input like the Denon had, how would I add that to the system?

Thank you so much for your help by the way.
LOL young to me, I grew up in the 60s/70s, and got my first audio stuff back then.

A ground wouldn't explain no sound at all from the tt. You might still have some analysis to do there....

I seriously doubt you could hear any difference due the opamp thing....much of the time in audio when people say night and day difference, it's not, often no audible difference at all...

No need to try and add a dedicated subwoofer pre-out, unless you just go with a pre-amp that can provide a sub pre-out as well as bass management....add on devices like those from miniDSP might do the trick of providing such. However, looking at your sub's manual (pg 7) it appears by using the high level inputs/outputs (with speaker wire) you can high pass your speakers, as it appears to have an actual crossover (rather than the usual low pass filter only labeled "crossover" many subs have).

You're welcome.

R

Rae

Enthusiast
LOL young to me, I grew up in the 60s/70s, and got my first audio stuff back then.

A ground wouldn't explain no sound at all from the tt. You might still have some analysis to do there....

I seriously doubt you could hear any difference due the opamp thing....much of the time in audio when people say night and day difference, it's not, often no audible difference at all...

No need to try and add a dedicated subwoofer pre-out, unless you just go with a pre-amp that can provide a sub pre-out as well as bass management....add on devices like those from miniDSP might do the trick of providing such. However, looking at your sub's manual (pg 7) it appears by using the high level inputs/outputs (with speaker wire) you can high pass your speakers, as it appears to have an actual crossover (rather than the usual low pass filter only labeled "crossover" many subs have).

You're welcome.
Is there a downfall to using high level opposed to the sub input/output? Id be willing to get an add on if it makes a difference.

I left the stock opamps on the XLR inputs to save some money and see if I can actually tell a difference. I'm definitely not an audiophile but it's entertaining to me to hear the little details you often miss if you don't have equipment capable.

I suppose it's backwards but I have worked 70-80 hour weeks for the last 13 years. I'm always in my vehicle so I have invested in sound quality and missed it at home. Now when I get a break and am actually at home while I'm relaxing, cleaning, cooking or whatever, a variety of music is always motivating me :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just hook up the sub with what you've got and see if you have any issues first; you might try both the rca using just a low pass on the sub (and likely get some duplication with your speakers for some of the lower bass); I'd prefer to have a high pass for the speakers myself so I'd probably start with the high level connection. It's not likely going to make a difference except for the high pass for the speakers.

Not likely you're missing any details with most electronics....capable is good. You see this? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/geshelli-jnog2-review-balanced-dac.34811/

I did plenty of long work weeks but am retired now....but have always had pretty good setup at home as well as the vehicles.

R

Rae

Enthusiast
I'd just hook up the sub with what you've got and see if you have any issues first; you might try both the rca using just a low pass on the sub (and likely get some duplication with your speakers for some of the lower bass); I'd prefer to have a high pass for the speakers myself so I'd probably start with the high level connection. It's not likely going to make a difference except for the high pass for the speakers.

Not likely you're missing any details with most electronics....capable is good. You see this? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/geshelli-jnog2-review-balanced-dac.34811/

I did plenty of long work weeks but am retired now....but have always had pretty good setup at home as well as the vehicles.
Sheesh, he didn't have much nice to say about the DAC. One of the reasons I bought it was made in USA and a smaller operation.

Here is one of the reviews that sold me on the upgrades.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sheesh, he didn't have much nice to say about the DAC. One of the reasons I bought it was made in USA and a smaller operation.

Here is one of the reviews that sold me on the upgrades.
I glanced thru that Passion of Sound guy's video, looks unconvincing. What do you find convincing about him? He seems to be into some audio nonsense about "sound quality" in dacs and components.

While technically its competent, it's not particularly special, I agree with Amir that the aesthetic/functionality is lacking a bit. Fairly pricey for what you get, too. The US content is what particularly? I'd think a lot of it is of foreign origin (like the power supply is marked made in China and suspect quite a bit of the componentry is, too.).

R

Rae

Enthusiast
I glanced thru that Passion of Sound guy's video, looks unconvincing. What do you find convincing about him? He seems to be into some audio nonsense about "sound quality" in dacs and components.

While technically its competent, it's not particularly special, I agree with Amir that the aesthetic/functionality is lacking a bit. Fairly pricey for what you get, too. The US content is what particularly? I'd think a lot of it is of foreign origin (like the power supply is marked made in China and suspect quite a bit of the componentry is, too.).
I liked that he said it competes with anything in the price range, it’s modular, the warranty (someone mentioned they bought a used one on eBay, geshelli replaced bad board for free, just paid shipping). Mulitple people in the comments mentioned it was better than the bitfrost, ares II and other DACs for them. It’s basically a starting point for me. It’s a solid DAC that I’ll always have and can maybe upgrade from later if need be. I was also trying not to buy everything schitt, just to try other brands.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I liked that he said it competes with anything in the price range, it’s modular, the warranty (someone mentioned they bought a used one on eBay, geshelli replaced bad board for free, just paid shipping). Mulitple people in the comments mentioned it was better than the bitfrost, ares II and other DACs for them. It’s basically a starting point for me. It’s a solid DAC that I’ll always have and can maybe upgrade from later if need be. I was also trying not to buy everything schitt, just to try other brands.
You should try wading thru this perhaps https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/serious-question-how-can-dacs-have-a-sound-signature-if-they-measure-as-transparent-are-that-many-confused.9245/page-388#post-1893022

The use of a dac as some sort of sound shaping device is just wrong. That's not its job.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dang looking up that Geshelli stuff has yielded a lot of content in my youtube feeds from various "reviewers". Looks like a cult.

R

Rae

Enthusiast
Dang looking up that Geshelli stuff has yielded a lot of content in my youtube feeds from various "reviewers". Looks like a cult.
Hahahaha they might be a cult.

update:

I received everything and the guy who sold me the vidar amp actually contacted me to be sure everything was fine. He ended up helping me make sure everything was plugged in properly. He’s been an audiophile since the 80s, we’ve stayed in contact via text so this is really cool for me.

I ended up purchasing a blemished svs sb16 ultra subwoofer (they sent me a brand new sub with no blemishes). I ended up ordering a y split rca cable for the sub instead of using high level outputsI'm on my first listen right now so won't comment yet but I do think the sealed enclosure is better for my living room. I’ll be moving the acoustech sub to the basement with the old Andrew jones 5 channel setup, port will shine down there I think.

I am enjoying the DAC (I think you’re right, I didn’t need to upgrade internals). Eventually I’ll compare it to the DAC in the wiim streamer but I am currently comparing Spotify to Tidal (just subscribed today).

I’m running the freya on its highest gain setting, have volume set around 3 o clock (it’s weird I need to have the highest gain and Volume to give it drive but there is plenty of headroom) and controlling volume from the wiim app. The vidar and the zuu are magical, I’m listening to George Jones White lightnin, right now. I close my eyes and suddenly I’m at a little juke joint and the stand up bass player is swinging that thing like a cute blonde.

Since the freya doesn’t have a phono input, do you know what I need to get to use my turntable?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General

When it comes to all this DAC nonsense, the human brain must have some sort of "Justified" lobe that produces audio hallucinations when the purchaser realizes they just spent 400 dollars and up on 10 bucks worth of chips with knobs and switches in a two dollar case. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hahahaha they might be a cult.

update:

I received everything and the guy who sold me the vidar amp actually contacted me to be sure everything was fine. He ended up helping me make sure everything was plugged in properly. He’s been an audiophile since the 80s, we’ve stayed in contact via text so this is really cool for me.

I ended up purchasing a blemished svs sb16 ultra subwoofer (they sent me a brand new sub with no blemishes). I ended up ordering a y split rca cable for the sub instead of using high level outputsI'm on my first listen right now so won't comment yet but I do think the sealed enclosure is better for my living room. I’ll be moving the acoustech sub to the basement with the old Andrew jones 5 channel setup, port will shine down there I think.

I am enjoying the DAC (I think you’re right, I didn’t need to upgrade internals). Eventually I’ll compare it to the DAC in the wiim streamer but I am currently comparing Spotify to Tidal (just subscribed today).

I’m running the freya on its highest gain setting, have volume set around 3 o clock (it’s weird I need to have the highest gain and Volume to give it drive but there is plenty of headroom) and controlling volume from the wiim app. The vidar and the zuu are magical, I’m listening to George Jones White lightnin, right now. I close my eyes and suddenly I’m at a little juke joint and the stand up bass player is swinging that thing like a cute blonde.

Since the freya doesn’t have a phono input, do you know what I need to get to use my turntable?
Congrats. You need a phono pre-amp, also called a phono stage. Which cartridge type do you have? Moving magnet (mm) or moving coil (mc)?

R

Rae

Enthusiast
Congrats. You need a phono pre-amp, also called a phono stage. Which cartridge type do you have? Moving magnet (mm) or moving coil (mc)?
I have teac tn-300se. It’s belt driven with audio technica AT95E cartridge. It says mm. I am not sure what that is but that’s what the specs say hehehehe

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have teac tn-300se. It’s belt driven with audio technica AT95E cartridge. It says mm. I am not sure what that is but that’s what the specs say hehehehe
Moving magnet type most all phono pre -amps will work with, mc is more specific. Something like an ART is a good value, altho aesthetic isn't for everyone....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Schitt Mani 2 would be a good alternate choice for the ART preamp as a moving coil cartridge output booster . It's price is however close to double that of the ART model.

Last edited:
R

Rae

Enthusiast
Moving magnet type most all phono pre -amps will work with, mc is more specific. Something like an ART is a good value, altho aesthetic isn't for everyone....
The Schitt Mani 2 would be a good alternate choice for the ART preamp as a moving coil cartridge output booster . It's price is however close to double that of the ART model.
I looked at both and ended up ordering the schitt mani 2 just cause I have a few other schiit pieces already. They seem very well built. The vidar especially, small footprint but it sure is hefty. 3-5 week backorder, not sure when it will be here but will report back if I can get the TT going.

Thank you both!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis