First HT Receiver & System

G

gregj

Audiophyte
I'm putting together our first HT. Just picked up a Sharp LC37GD6U and we're really happy with it. Also bought a Bose 3-2-1 System and after a few weeks we took it back. Decided we wanted the real thing. So what I'm looking at is the new Sony AVD-C700ES, the AV Receiver/Amp with the built in 5 disc DVD/CD. Hoping to get this for about 750 or so. For surround speakers I'm looking at the Boston Acoustics 515 System, the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 80 or the MK K Series. I think the MK sounds the best and they do cost a bit more. The BA and the Def Tech both soung good, but are certainly different from one another.

I know I'm probably taking a bit of a shortcut with the Sony all in one receiver but we have some space concerns and all the ES equipment seems to be regarded well...and there's the 5 year warranty.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

GJ

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Check the NAD combo unit. It retails at $1000 I think. You may be able to find it discounted at places like spearitsound.com or dmc-electronics.com. It should handidly outperform the Sony.

Get the speakers that sound best as long as they are not way out of your price range. You'll never regret it.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
I don't think the AVD-C700ES is the same caliber as the older ES line. I'm sure it's a good sounding unit and would be perfect if you have space limitations. You should look into the NAD unit or even separates as they don't take up much more space.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis