D

duff

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I've been reading everywhere that there is no digital output for DVDA, and I've clearly seen it on the backs of DVDA players.  Now I'm seeing that there has been since September?  
http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/1202/13.firewire.shtml
Have I been under a rock while people have been talking about this?  Does it really help solve some of the DVDA issues?  Anyone have thoughts on this?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>It is only a matter of time before IEEE-1394 (Firewire) interfaces will be the way we connect all of our audio and video hardware together.  Firewire has been used with DV Camcorders for several years now, and works perfectly with DV, which has both high-quality video plus two tracks of CD quality audio.  DV does not use the full bandwidth of the 1394 interface, so high quality high data rate audio is a walk in the park.  Firewire is even used for broadcast telivision and by the movie industry, so it's widely accepted, and pretty well sorted out.

I look forward to the day when I can replace all those analog and digital interconnects with a single 1394 cable for each component (and apparently that day is getting a lot closer).

Thanks for posting the link.  Interesting development.

Chuck</font>

<font color='#000000'>Good scoop!

I wonder what impact 1394b will have?

See the next generation of FireWire here:

1394b FireWire 800 Specs

I had been under the impression that it wasn't a technology issue holding back DVDA manufacturers - but a legal one. The technology (optical or coax) to send DVDA and SACD to the receiver has been there, but I was under the impression that lawsuits and legal mumbo jumbo was holding the manufacturers (and quality of sound) back.

Looks like a huge hurdle was over come...

[Edit: spelling]</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>To the best of my knowledge hawke is right. There are no plans that I know of to add a digital output for SACD or DVD A for &quot;fear&quot; of unauthorized duplication.
Quite frankly this is the last place I would really want to duplicate from. I would much rather dump the disc in a burner a copy it directly.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>There is a bit of competition in the computer world, between USB and Firewire.  The 1394b appears to be a response to USB 2.0.  The entertainment industry seems to be leaning heavily toward Firewire, while the computer industry (so far) seems to be more focused on USB.  Ultimately, it will probably be the home automation community that defines the standards we'll all end up using.  That may well mean that we end up sending both control and data (audio, video, and all our other &quot;data&quot;) from one piece of gear to another through the power cord and house wiring.  Some day we may be able to plug in a source device, and plug in an amplifier, and not have to bother with any other interconnects at all.  However, there are a number of problems that need to be solved before that can actually happen.  Some major companies are now dumping lots of money into this aspect of the &quot;convergence.&quot;

While it's true that it is easier to drop an optical disk into a burner and make a copy than it would be to use any kind of interface to the audio gear, that entirely misses the point of the Firewire interfaces.  They are intended to transfer both data, and control signals, between components.  They will entirely replace analog interconnects and multiple digital interconnects in the foreseeable future.  At least that's the way the big entertainment companies think it's going to play out.

Legal issues have been involved, and it is hard to separate the facts from the propaganda.  Be that as it may, Firewire is a good interface, and quite capable of doing the tasks the industry has planned for its future.

Chuck</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis