Finding good sub location made easy

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi All
Have any of you struggled with subwoofer placement?
I have and I have room mode soft ware and analyzer
Here is a down an dirty way to place your subwoofer for good performance and all you need is your ears.
#1 Place you subwoofer at the exact place were you sit (A long RCA cable may be necessary)
#2 with the subwoofer placed at your listening position activate the internal test tone
generator of your receiver for the subwoofer or use Avia’s subwoofer test signal or other software based test tones
#3 With the subwoofer rumbling with the test tone walk or crawl around the room If your sub has a phase switch try it in the 0 and 180 position
As you are doing this you will notice the subwoofers pitch and volume will change It does this because it is interacting with the room
#4 Take note of the spots were the subwoofer sounded the loudest and smoothest there are always more than one spot
#5 place the subwoofer in most convenient spot were it sounded best and recalibrate to
reference level
#6 As a general rule of thumb placing a subwoofer on the
front wall 1/3 in from a side wall will give you a smooth
responce and corner loading will give you the most SPL
finding out what corner or what side of the room is up to you
That's it your done &nbsp;now your subwoofer will not have to work as hard to hit reference levels as it is working with the room gain if it sounds a little boomy
try pulling it out away from a wall a little at a time

**The directions above assume you have your receiver or
preamp's speaker selection correct for your speakers and subwoofer
Cheers Ray</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Yea I know
I am a day late and a dollar short
GDS e-mailed me to let me know he wrote an artical last year covering this.I had allready wrote this when I received his
e-mail so I posted it anyway   they are a little different
so read both and have fun  
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Ray;

I like your twist on this subject. &nbsp;Perhaps we can merge our two articles for the benefits of all Audioholics &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis