FINALLY...AV room becoming a reality!

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
Well, our house is finally completed! I've spent the last 2 days in our new AV room hanging speakers, a screen, installing components, etc...BUT...since I do not have the experience or knowledge to do the wiring, I have to wait on my installer, and it's absolutely killing me.

The only thing I've changed in my setup was using the Sim2 HT-300 E-Link projector. I was gonna go with the Sim2 X-3, but the cost was prohibitive. The E-link was new in the box and I got it for $6,500.00. I watched it in action before I bought it and the picture qulaity is amazing. Deep blacks, red reds and no artifacts, at least none I could see. It's also quiet. I realize it's only a single chip DLP, but man it rocks.

Can anyone recommend a decent, not overly expensive speaker cable?

Oh yea, what is the first movie we should watch on the new system???

Tabcon

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
TABCON said:
Can anyone recommend a decent, not overly expensive speaker cable?
Oh yea, what is the first movie we should watch on the new system???
Tabcon
How long is the longest run?
Perhaps 14ga or 12ga. Check out monoprice.com

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
The longest run will be about 18 to 20 feet. My installer said he wants to bi-amp the speakers. I'm not exactly sure how that works ,but it may require more wire to do it.

Thanks for the site(s).

Tabcon

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

TABCON said:
The longest run will be about 18 to 20 feet. My installer said he wants to bi-amp the speakers. I'm not exactly sure how that works ,but it may require more wire to do it.Thanks for the site(s).
Tabcon

14ga will be fine for that run. I would question that bi-amping info. I seriously doubt you will gain anything unless you do an active crossover and bypass internal crossovers.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
TABCON said:
Well, our house is finally completed! I've spent the last 2 days in our new AV room hanging speakers, a screen, installing components, etc...BUT...since I do not have the experience or knowledge to do the wiring, I have to wait on my installer, and it's absolutely killing me.
Geez, man!!

You did the hard part. Connecting the wires is almost as easy as plugging in a lamp.

My 2 cents...

Open your owners manual, and do it yourself. Is it that hard to connect a digital coaxial/optical cable from your DVD player to your receiver....etc, etc.etc..

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
LOL-

I already had everything installed last night, all except a ceiling bracket for the projector. Right now it's on top of a ladder.

My installer ran 16-2 speaker wires. Is this okay? I really wanted at least a 14-2 cable, maybe even 12-2. Actually, I can't see how this system could sound any better than it already does. My wife and I watched a little Nemo this morning and like the review of the Axiom speakers here states, they definitely have a "wow" factor...very impressive.

The Sim2 is not fully installed yet, so the screen is not quite filled yet. After we hang it back a few more feet, it should be just right. The color and black levels in Nemo were simply incredible. Still, a little tweaking of the projector may be required. While watching a James Taylor audio/music video, the people on stage looked a little squished.

Overall, I'm simply blown away by this system.

Tabcon

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker wire

16 gauge is pretty wimpy for a high end HT like yours. Normally 14 or 12 AWG is preferred but your runs are pretty short so 16 should be adequate.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

TABCON said:
LOL-
I already had everything installed last night, all except a ceiling bracket for the projector. Right now it's on top of a ladder.
My installer ran 16-2 speaker wires. Is this okay? I really wanted at least a 14-2 cable, maybe even 12-2. Actually, I can't see how this system could sound any better than it already does. Tabcon

Yes, 16-2 will work for 20ft distances, not to worry.

B

Buckeye_Nut

TABCON said:
I can't see how this system could sound any better than it already does.

Overall, I'm simply blown away by this system.

Tabcon
Congrats on your fine new system, and enjoy. Have you done anything to treat your room acoustics yet? You'd be surprised how large of an impact a "room" upgrade can make. I'd highly recommend it if you have not already done so.

Enjoy your new setup!!

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
Thanks Buckeye.

I don't know too much about acoustics, but while building the room, I used insulation on all the walls, floor and ceiling. The room is carpeted with sisal carpet, the one window is covered with curtains and the furniture is overstuffed cotton covered chairs and sofa. The walls and ceiling are just plain dry rock.

Any suggestions on how to improve acoustics?

TAbcon

B

Buckeye_Nut

Packing insulation inside your walls will help keep the inside of your walls from resonating at loud volumes(which is good), but your worst nightmare are room reflections and broadband absorption is the answer. Carpeting, drapes, and furnishings will absorb a small slice at the high end which is a plus, but they do little or nothing for lower frequencies.

What you need is bass absorption(bass traps) in the corners, and absorption panels at the first reflection points(ideally front,back, sides where room layout allows). Four inch thick acoustic panels will work wonders for your room in this regard.

http://gikacoustics.com/index.html
Something like these..........

The more people read about the subject, the more confusing it gets, but knowing the basics for positioning(traps in corners...etc, etc)is all you really need to know. Once you hang them, you'll be suprised how much better your room will sound. Most people get overwhelmed when they research the subject and simply give up, but simply hanging panels at the first reflection points and corners will do the trick.

You wont believe how much better your room will sound. After 10 years of HT without treatments, I recently took the plunge, and it was a revelation to say the least. I used the KISS formula, and let someone in the ecoustics business position the panels, and all I had to do was hang them. I didnt get too hung up on the technical stuff. I just wanted to know where to hang the darn things to make my room sound better.....LOL For me, the process was a simple one, and the improvement was remarkable.

See this section for discussion on the topic.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10
There are people in this forum who really know that they're talking about on this subject(unlike me). I am merely a newby who has seen the light and experienced the differences first hand. I can go into detail and describe the differences, but you'll find a lot of that discussion in the above forum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis