Feedback on living room theater design

hutt132

hutt132

Audiophyte
Hello. I'm planning on constructing a new home, and came up with the layout below.
I plan to have the theater with a 120" screen set up in the living room which is 17' x 19'.
I'm still deciding on the ceiling height. Not sure if I want to make it 10' or have it slightly vaulted.

The dashed lines represent where the 7.1 system will be set up along the walls.
The first reflection point for the FR speaker should be between the two windows, so I could add a sound dampening panel there (and curtain around the windows). The FL reflection point should be mitigated by going into the kitchen area.

What are your opinions/concerns on the layout below? I may be able to accommodate slight changes to the dimensions.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

IMO, 17 ft. for the front-to-back dimension is too small to accommodate both a 120” screen and a 7.1 system. 7.1 systems require a good bit of distance behind the seating (i.e. a longer, rectangular-shaped room), as the speakers are supposed to be... behind the seating. I’m guessing with a screen that size, the seating is going to be near the back wall.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I would design a flat ceiling. Keep your back wall 3 feet (at the very least) from your seating.

hutt132

hutt132

Audiophyte
IMO, 17 ft. for the front-to-back dimension is too small to accommodate both a 120” screen and a 7.1 system. 7.1 systems require a good bit of distance behind the seating (i.e. a longer, rectangular-shaped room), as the speakers are supposed to be... behind the seating. I’m guessing with a screen that size, the seating is going to be near the back wall.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Where the dashed lines intersect in the picture is where the seating will be (11' from screen). I like sitting close up, if that's considered close.

I would design a flat ceiling. Keep your back wall 3 feet (at the very least) from your seating.
Seating will be positioned about 4' from the back wall. The dashed lines in the picture represent where the speakers will be placed, and the intersection is where the seating will be.

I'll try to incorporate a 10' ceiling of you say flat is better than vaulted (rest of house will be 9').

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Personally I think vaulted ceilings are better. The further you can get from multiple parallel surfaces, the better.

I’d say 4 ft. back is too close for rear speakers. It will be extremely difficult not to localize them. In addition, at that close distance, you’ll only hear the one closest to you.

Eleven ft. from a 120” screen? I expect this is going to end up being like an IMAX, where the screen is so big you can only hone in on a portion of it, not the entire thing (as you’d have with a smaller screen). I personally don’t like that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis