Favorite Pianists/drummers/guitarists

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Hi!

I didn't see a thread like this. And after my last stupid stupid mistake, I didn't want to dig up old threads.

So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering what some of your favorite musicians are! I'm specifically interested in dummers, pianists, and guitarists.

Doesn't have to be ALL TIME FAVORITE. Just who are you particularly obsessed with right now? And why?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Drummers - my wife, and Peter Erskine. There are very few improvisational drummers around.

Pianists, John O'Conor, Malcolm Frager, George Winston

George Winston's Night Divides the Day album of The Doors music is probably my favorite popular solo piano recording. The man is awesome. O'Conor's performances of the 32 Beethoven Piano Sonatas are my favorites, and I'm such of a fan of that music that I own several different recordings of them. (No, I haven't gone for treatment yet.) Frager's recordings are rather rare, but his playing is remarkable and powerful.

In more popular music, Dave Grusin also did a solo piano album of arrangements of his own movie scores that is very interesting. (Now Playing)

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Oh but there are plenty of improvisational drummers around :)
Who is your wife, btw? Any recordings I should check out? Are you married to TLC or something crazy? ^_^

I'll have to check out those pianists.

For drummers, I really like Brian Blade and Kenny Washington. I love Kenny's swing feel. Just feels good to me. And Brian Blade plays such tasteful embellishments. Blade always seems completely on top of the song and in the pocket, hopelessly stuck to every band member. For some simply fantastic super-duper-high-energy drumming, I love Elvin Jones. There is a great recording of his playing on "Cousin Mary" from Afro Blue/Impressions (at around the middle of the song, he plays this weeiirrdd rock beat sounding thing, makes me geek every time).

For Brian Blade's funkier side (just as tasty) check out his recordings on Joshua Redman's "Elastic", which is just a fantastic album. I believe Kenny Washington has some good recordings with Ahmad Jamaal. Can't remember. I've seen him live a few times now, so that's where I'm coming from.

Geetar players?

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Drummer: Justin Faulkner - amazing. I saw him recently with Branford Marsalis. He stole the show. I haven't seen a drummer do that since seeing Simon Phillips with Jeff Beck (and Jan Hammer) circa early 1980's. I've been listening to Dinah Jams which features Clifford Brown on Sax and Max Roach on drums.

Guitarists, sooo many. Birelli Lagrene rates right up there. This guy can do everything from straight jazz, fusion (w/ Jaco), manouche, to even metal. More recently I've been enjoying Population Override by Buckethead and Idle Moments by Grant Green. Population Override is a great album, the music is so good you forget the he is shredding.

W

woensl.itis

Audioholic
Yea, Justin Faulkner is on the inner urge solo with kurt that i'm transcribing. He kills it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis