Favorite music related movies

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I recently started a similar topic on another site, and would like to get the AH membership's view. What are your favorite movies about or related to music? Just curious. There's a lot of really good flicks either about music or with music being a central element.

My favorites, and these aren't really meant to be in order:

1. This Is Spinal Tap- A true classic! This movie is just as "wet-your-pants-funny" to me today as the first time I saw it. The actors & director actually wrote and performed the music, and although it's a parody, I liked the music enough to buy both Spinal Tap CDs and repurchase the remasters. I highly recommend the movie and the CDs- it's great stuff!

2. The Committments- Even if you're not a fan of soul music, this movie is tremendously well written and acted. Almost all of the music is actually performed by the actors, and they've actually continued to tour as the Committments to this day (although not the entire cast). The music is good and the story compelling.

3. High Fidelity- While it isn't strictly about music, the movie is dead-on in it's portrayal of compulsive music geeks. Jack Black, particulary, is a genius, and the whole movie crackles with energy. Doesn't hurt that there's a bit of Rob Gordon in many of us, either!

4. Amadeus- Very well acted & written, with a brilliant performance by Holman as Mozart, with a very good supporting performance by Abraham. The look is gorgeous, the sound (at least on the Spec Ed) is sumptuous, and the whole movie is just beautiful.

5. The Red Violin- This is one I've long recommended as a great demo DVD, and a nice to all the "demo discs" full bombs, depth charges & other explosions; the soundtrack here is more subtle, but very effective. The look is great, and although the direction is very idiosyncratic, I think it works. The real star of the movie is the Red Violin itself, mostly played by classical star Joshua Bell. This one is a fantastic movie, IMOHO, even if sometimes hard to follow.

Guilty Pleasure Pick:

6. Rock Star- I know this one makes a lot of people cringe, but I was totally pulled in to the [uncredited] story of Ripper Owen. Jennifer Aniston is hot in that netting-dress, Walhberg is likeable & enthusiastic, and it's fun to see Pilson, Bonham & Wylde as his band. Despite the crappy reviews this is a really fun flick, IMOHO.

Any music flicks you guys are fond of?

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
1: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Yes I know it's cheesy, corn from the 70's but damn the music is good and the new DVD transfer is very good and in DTS.

1 1/2: The Blues Brothers. Needs no explanation.

2: Amadeus, Yes it is a fantastic film, the directors cut is even better.

3: Pink Floyd the Wall. Needs no explanation.

4: Little Shop of Horrors. Funny movie, funny music.

5: Spinal Tap. A classic.

Biggest disappointment. West Side Story, I thought it stunk. Also, Grease I think it stinks too, however, my wife loves it so you know what that means. Have pity on me :(

Still have not made it all the way through Fiddler on the Roof yet. I get about 90 min into it and something comes up.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"Streets of Fire" has always been one of my guilty pleasures. Where else can you find

Wilem De Foe (sp)chewing the scenery in leather overalls
Michael Pare doing his best tough guy information
Rick Moranis playing a greedy manager
Diane Lane playing a diva (lip synched, of course)

Songs by Jim Steinman, with his most Wagnerian writing since the first Meat Loaf album, performed by a killer bunch of studio musicians and singers.

Music by the Fixx and Dan Hartmann, Ry Cooderand, last but not least, my favorite group, the Blasters, who actually get some screen time.

Not to mention a lot of retro/campy sets rife with overhead trains, hot rods, old Studebakers and a biker fight.

Wotta way to spend a Saturday night with some friends, some pizza, some beer and some, well,.. you figger it out. :rolleyes:

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
The above are great movies. I second them all, especially 'The Red Violin', although the ending IMO is a bit chessy.

One I just caught on satellite was 'The Legend of 1900'. It's about a piano player who does not leave the ship he was born on. There is a scene between 1900 (yes, that is the characters name) and 'Jelly Roll' Morton having a piano duel to see who is the best jazz pianist which is worth the price of admission. Throughout the movie is some stunning piano music.

Alas, the ending is also somewhat cheesy on this film, but it is worth a rental if you can find it.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I always liked "That Thing You Do" which captured the feel of 1964-65 with many one hit wonders breaking. It gets a little tiresome hearing the song again and again but Tom Hanks makes it go about as well as it can.

I'd also like to branch out into concert movies which I prefer to collect over regular movies. My favorites:

1. The Last Waltz. About as good as it gets for the big performers of the 60s and 70s with decent sound.

2. Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense". One of the first recorded digitally and with a stage show designed for the movie shows them at their peak.

3. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones "Live at the Quick". Good sound, great performance from this eclectic bunch.

4. The Who "The Kids Are Alright" OK to great performances, great fun, lousy sound.

U

Unregistered

I particularly enjoyed the following music related films:

Chocolate – fantastic classical music

Red Violin – fantastic classical music

Stop Making Sense

White – by director Krzysztof Kieslowski. Great classical music soundtrack. Also check out the other two movies, “Red” and “Blue” of his trilogy.

The Piano – good classical music

Into the Minds Eye – great music and interesting visuals if you are a devout Thomas Dolby fan.

Allen

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
jeffsg4mac said:
Also, Grease I think it stinks too, however, my wife loves it so you know what that means. Have pity on me :(
Haha, on the flip side my wife bought me Grease! I like it, I like Summer Nights, and Hopelessy Devoted to You, plus the movies just fun.

Can't believe no ones mentioned Xanadu! Come on Magic is a great song, and Olivia is sweet!

But as far as a good "movie" I like Enigma's MCMXCa.d. DVD. It's actually the album, but they add video to the entire album, so its like a story, but its all music and about an hour long to boot.

And as the opening of the album says;

Good evening, this is the voice of Enigma.
In the next hour, we will take you with us into another world
Into the world of music, spirit, and meditation
Turn off the light, take a deep breath, and relax
Start to move slowly, very slowly
Let the rhythm be your guiding light

U

Unregistered

Regarding the Enegma DVD, what is on the video? I have always been a fan of their music.

Allen

A

allen garman

Movie Titled "Dummy"

I just watch this Indie type film about a Jewish guy living at home who is interested in ventriloquism. The movie had a decent cast and was funny.

What really impressed me about the film was its outstanding sound quality and music! I remarked several times during the movie about how impressed I was with the ambient sounds. Whomever did the audio on this film did a truly superior job.

As for the soundtrack, it was fantastic. I love it when songs are well matched to the scenes mood. The music was quite varied and even included an old Rolling Stones tune. Unfortunately, the soundtrack available on CD does not include many of the songs in the film.

I would like to hear some other audiophile’s impression of the audio quality and soundtrack.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
The BIOGRAPH

Not really off topic, but not actually HT either.

In DC there use to be a theater called the Biograph. They mostly showed a lot of very avante garde stuff. There are two that I remember most vividly.

The first was a bunch of shorts called "The Brothers Quay". Very weird films of mostly metal puppets in stop action animation. The music was extremely discordant and attacked you. Just seeing the films without the music would have been boring, but the combination was vivid, surreal, and spooky. I wish I could find a copy somewhere.

The second was entitled "War Requiem". Consisting of actual combat footage set to Ben Britten's War Requiem. Another attack on all senses.

Maybe some locals remember these and The Biograph.

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
1. Spinal Tap of course! I have the re-mastered DVD, THE BLACK ALBUM (on CD!) and BREAK LIKE THE WIND CD! I also have (on tape) the 1992 Tap Reunion tour. Funny, that I was never into hard rock, but I LOVE TAP!

***** School
Living in a HELL HOLE
Break like the Wind
Lick my Love Pump
Stonhenge
The Majesty of Rock
gimmie some money

"But these go to 11!"

"A Mighty Wind" is also pretty good, very funny, nothing at all wrong with the movie, very enjoyable, I bought the CD, but not up there with TAP!

(And, while not a music movie, BEST OF SHOW, also by roughly the same core group as TAP and MIGHTY WIND, is really funny too!)

The interesting thing about TAP and Mighty Wind, is that the actors wrote and actually play their own instruments. There is some real tallent

2. Almadus

3. I keep forgetting that THE BLUES BROTHERS has music! Along with Animal House, and Blazing Saddles, these are my three favorite comedies!

4. Victor Victoria. "THAT REAL-HOT-JAZZ"

I am going to have to go home and watch SPINAL TAP again tonight!

U

Unregistered

I rather like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!!

Also 1900 was excellent, about on par with Crossroads (not the Britney Spears POS).

O

outsider

Audioholic
Pink Floyd: The Wall

Cannibal! The Musical
(Trey Parker and Matt Stone's first production)

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Great stuff all around!!

I'd like to add Chicago. Although R.Z. is annoying beyond belief (to me) she is carried by the rest of the cast.

Moulin Rouge. A treat for eyes (N.K. - yum!) and ears

and bring Tapeheads over from the "Movies you've never heard of" thread. The sound and video quality don't hold up to a lot of the other stuff, but almost everyone I've made watch it has put it in their top 10.

Not exactly a movie, but as long as "Stop Making Sense" made the cut, Underworld's "Everything Everything" concert video blows my mind. I've seen them live in a *much* smaller venue and every bit of the energy is there.

H

Harry Smith

Audiophyte
Calling out music-related movies makes sense to me. That’s standard practice with dramas, comedies, sci-fi, and most other film genres. Music movies might as well have their own category, too.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Immortal Beloved, That Thing You Do & Almost Famous come to mind

Does "Walk Hard" count? :D

B

BWG707

Audioholic
As for a strictly concert movie "Stop Making Sense" was extremely entertaining. For a musical story movie I really enjoyed "The Five Heartbeats".

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Revive thy thread! This might be on my list:

Last edited by a moderator:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
  • Sweeney Todd
  • Fame (2009)
  • School of Rock
  • O Brother Where Art Thou?
  • Sister Act 2 (just for Lauryn Hill's performance of "His Eye Is On the Sparrow")

to name a few. I agree with the repeated mentions of the Blues Brothers as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis