Factory reset for a Yamaha RX-V800

P

popotoys

Audioholic
Hi

I think that my remote may no longer work and all I want is this reciever to be reset back to factory defaults as it is now in my garage. Does anyone know how to do a manual reset on this receiver to get it back to factory default settings?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If nobody comes up with it, go to the Yamaha site to look for a download........

Sorry, I forgot. They don't allow customers to access manuals and technical info, only dealers.

P

popotoys

Audioholic
Thx, I found a copy of the manual, but I cannot find anything related to reseting the device without the remote.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
If nobody comes up with it, go to the Yamaha site to look for a download........

Sorry, I forgot. They don't allow customers to access manuals and technical info, only dealers.
Hi highfigh,

If you go to Yamaha Canadian web site, you can dowload their manuals. :)
@ http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Manuals.jsp

Thx, I found a copy of the manual, but I cannot find anything related to reseting the device without the remote.
Most resets in receivers operates the same fashion.
>>> For the appropriate one for your Yamaha RX-V800, skip all these three options just below,
and go directly below my name (Bob), where it says "=====> Got it." :) <<<

1. Try this one: Plug your receiver in the AC wall outlet, turn it OFF (Standby), now unplug it from the AC wall outlet, wait about 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in.

2. If it ain't working, try this one: Turn your receiver ON and, while holding down the [VCR1] button, press the [STANDBY/ON] button. "Clear" might appears on the display and your receiver might enter Standby mode.
Hope it does.

3. Or this one: Switc off your receiver using the main power button on the front face. Hold the the Effect button and the Direct button, and turn the main power ON.

*** You can get a Logitech Harmony Universal remote control, that can have all the commands from your original Yamaha remote control.
I highly recommend the Harmony 550. It could easily be found for $40, even $30.

~ I'll do a search for you about that exact reset procedure, and we'll be right back. :)

Till then, rejoice,
Bob

=====> Got it. :)

> Be sure your receiver is in Standby Mode.

1. With your receiver in the Standby mode, hold on STRAIGHT (EFFECT) on the front panel and press STANDBY/ON.
* The ADVANCED sETUP menu appears in the front panel display.

2. Rotate Program to move through the menu and select "PRESET".

3. Press STRAIGHT (EFFECT) to select the desired setting.
RESET = To reset your receiver to its factory presets.
CANCEL = To cancel without making any changes.

4. Press STANDBY/ON to confirm your selection.
* If you selected "RESET", your receiver is reset to its factory presets and switches to Standby mode.

Last edited:
P

popotoys

Audioholic
Hi highfigh,

If you go to Yamaha Canadian web site, you can dowload their manuals. :)
@ http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Manuals.jsp

Most resets in receivers operates the same fashion.
>>> For the appropriate one for your Yamaha RX-V800, skip all these three options just below,
and go directly below my name (Bob), where it says "=====> Got it." :) <<<

1. Try this one: Plug your receiver in the AC wall outlet, turn it OFF (Standby), now unplug it from the AC wall outlet, wait about 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in.

2. If it ain't working, try this one: Turn your receiver ON and, while holding down the [VCR1] button, press the [STANDBY/ON] button. "Clear" might appears on the display and your receiver might enter Standby mode.
Hope it does.

3. Or this one: Switc off your receiver using the main power button on the front face. Hold the the Effect button and the Direct button, and turn the main power ON.

*** You can get a Logitech Harmony Universal remote control, that can have all the commands from your original Yamaha remote control.
I highly recommend the Harmony 550. It could easily be found for $40, even $30.

~ I'll do a search for you about that exact reset procedure, and we'll be right back. :)

Till then, rejoice,
Bob

1. With your receiver in the Standby mode, hold on STRAIGHT (EFFECT) on the front panel and press STANDBY/ON.

* If you selected "RESET", your receiver is reset to its factory presets and switches to Standby mode.

OK thx, I'll give it a shot tonight.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No sweat fellow Canadian. And it will work too, it is the right procedure. :)

Happy day,
Bob
Mornin Bob!!

Very similar procedure for the Yammy RX-V1800 too ;) Dam I miss this beast powering my speakers. Still unpacking the home from a move and need some electrical work done before I can wire back the magic.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Mornin Bob!!

Very similar procedure for the Yammy RX-V1800 too ;) Dam I miss this beast powering my speakers. Still unpacking the home from a move and need some electrical work done before I can wire back the magic.
Mornin 3db,

I was feeling quite lonely here all by myself. I was just about going to read an essay on Audyssey Room EQ, with very complex mathematical equations.

Yes, I believe the procedure is the same for many Yamaha receivers, including your Yammy 1800.
What? You've been moving? From where to where?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Mornin 3db,

I was feeling quite lonely here all by myself. I was just about going to read an essay on Audyssey Room EQ, with very complex mathematical equations.

Yes, I believe the procedure is the same for many Yamaha receivers, including your Yammy 1800.
What? You've been moving? From where to where?
Just moving from a townhome to a free hold with a finished basement with 5 killometers of one another. Not a biggy but still have to unpack me crap. *L*

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Just moving from a townhome to a free hold with a finished basement with 5 killometers of one another. Not a biggy but still have to unpack me crap. *L*
I'm sure you'll be out and running in no time with your 1800.

* By the way, because you just moved, you might try a reset.
Know how?

:rolleyes:

P

popotoys

Audioholic
Hi, no luck yet. I guess my main question is how do I know for sure the receiver is in standby mode. Is this automatic when you turn it off or is there a sequence to do it?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Standby just means OFF. Like not ON. (But still plugged to the wall oulet.)

Nothing automatic here, when you turn it off by pressing the power button on the front panel, it turn Off, which means it's in Standby mode.

I know, it sounds more complicated that it actually is.
Here: When ON, you can see the display working, right?
When OFF, the display is gone. Then it's on Standby mode.
Try it and follow the few simple steps already mentioned on my previous post, post #4, from the last smilie :), to the bottom of the page.
Do it now, and come back right away, I'll be right here, shouldn't take more than couple minutes.

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned

^^^ Here it is (in the quote above), to make things easier for you. ^^^

P

popotoys

Audioholic
^^^ Here it is (in the quote above), to make things easier for you. ^^^

Yeh, that's what I am trying. When I press and hold EFFECT and then press ON the display just shows what effect has been activated. :( No Advanced Setup. I am at work right now so we can't really go back and forth on this. I do have an older harmony one remote so maybe I'll add this reciever back to it and see if I can get to the setup menu. Since I placed the receiver in my garage, I need to confirm whether or not the speakers are set to large.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Yeh, that's what I am trying. When I press and hold EFFECT and then press ON the display just shows what effect has been activated. :( No Advanced Setup. I am at work right now so we can't really go back and forth on this. I do have an older harmony one remote so maybe I'll add this reciever back to it and see if I can get to the setup menu. Since I placed the receiver in my garage, I need to confirm whether or not the speakers are set to large.
The Harmony remote control won't be of any help for a reset.
Are you sure you did follow the few steps the correct way?

* You have to hold the EFFECT button, then press and also hold the POWER ON (STANDBY) button, till ADVANCED SETUP appears in te display.

P

popotoys

Audioholic
The Harmony remote control won't be of any help for a reset.
Are you sure you did follow the few steps the correct way?

* You have to hold the EFFECT button, then press and also hold the power On button, till ADVANCED SETUP appears in te display.
Well, it seams fairly straight forward. I do work in technology and I am kinda knowledgeable when it comes to stereo equipment.

These are my steps:

Press EFFECT - I have no STRAIGHT so I am assuming that it can be labled differently on different decks

While holding EFFECT, I turn the receiver on.

Is there a certain amount of time to press on the EFFECT button? I did this at least a dozen times last night LOL. Each time it only displayed what effect was being enabled.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Well, it seams fairly straight forward. I do work in technology and I am kinda knowledgeable when it comes to stereo equipment.

These are my steps:

Press EFFECT - I have no STRAIGHT so I am assuming that it can be labled differently on different decks

While holding EFFECT, I turn the receiver on.

Is there a certain amount of time to press on the EFFECT button? I did this at least a dozen times last night LOL. Each time it only displayed what effect was being enabled.
Ok, I do believe you. Sorry if I was talking like if you were younger, I did not mean any wrong.
You have to hold on the STANDBY button too, for about 5 seconds.

* At this point, I suggest that you call your Yamaha center service nearby, they should be able to help you out, that's their job.

Bob

P

popotoys

Audioholic
Ok, I do believe you. Sorry if I was talking like if you were younger, I did not mean any wrong.
You have to hold on the STANDBY button too, for about 5 seconds.

* At this point, I suggest that you call your Yamaha center service nearby, they should be able to help you out, that's their job.

Bob

No problem, I did not take it the wrong way. It's tough to write and make it sound how you want it. I'll try holding the STANDBY button longer as well.

One more question, the deck was unplugged for six months or so. Would it have reset itself because of this?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
No problem, I did not take it the wrong way. It's tough to write and make it sound how you want it. I'll try holding the STANDBY button longer as well.

One more question, the deck was unplugged for six months or so. Would it have reset itself because of this?
I cannot say honestly, that's why I believe that by calling Yamaha service dept. could be a big help an a simple solution. Just give them a call.
If you don't have the #, Google it.

* The toll free # is 1-866-211-9366

P

popotoys

Audioholic
I cannot say honestly, that's why I believe that by calling Yamaha service dept. could be a big help an a simple solution. Just give them a call.
If you don't have the #, Google it.

* The toll free # is 1-866-211-9366
OK thx buddy

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis