Exploring New Network and Streaming Possibilities

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
So, I am going through (another) life event and will be moving to a new place. Right now, my computer and desk are next to my 2 channel audio kit (very convenient setup) and to stream my music files (including a fair amount of DSD) Tidal and/or Qobuz via Roon, I simply ran a 3M USB cable from my desktop to the DAC built in to my integrated amp. The layout where I am moving to will separate my desk from my stereo (that is, if my space planning skills are correct – I could just lump everything in a non-aesthetically pleasing mass). At the closest, it will be diagonally across the room, at most, in another room altogether. When I put my system together, it was based on the proximity I enjoy now – I would have gone a different route and had different priorities if this had not been the case.

What I am looking to do is get the info from my desktop to my stereo in the best, least sound detrimental way possible (i.e., not Bluetooth). I can try to string a USB cable along the walls and over doors, but it will be way over 15’ (the max for unamplified). Meh, I don’t like that option. The easiest way to do it would be with a network bridge, so that the data is transmitted over Wifi, unaltered to my DAC for conversion. Pro-ject has this nifty little unit called the Stream Box S2 Ultra and it does just that:
1550684178788.png

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/stream-box-s2-ultra/

It has some nifty features, like being a Roon endpoint, but the major issue (for me, at least) is that it retails for $850. I am sure there is something similar for less, but I cannot seem to find it…

The next option would be to get a media player that can accept and decode all of the files mentioned. This Arcam CDS50 certainly fits the bill:
1550684222250.png

https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,HDA,SACD/CD-Player,CDS50.htm

It plays SACDs (yay!) will decode any music file fed to it and has Wifi built in to accept my media files. I know it will sound great as all of the Arcam product I have owned (when working) sounded awesome. Again, there is price to consider and $1200, it is rather dear. As I am on the lookout for a universal player, this may work instead and I would keep my Oppo for Blu-ray duties.

Another option would be to replace my Yamaha A-S801 with the R-N803.
1550684262860.png

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-n803/index.html

That way, I can still get my DSD files converted and enter the true streaming age! I was reading the product manual and this thing can do a lot of stuff. I am still confused as to how it reads the computer files – it all seems a bit convoluted when all I want to do is open up Roon on my iPad and away I go.

Lastly would be something like a Bluesound Node 2i, which seems to have a great OS, but unfortunately, does not do DSD:
1550684299831.png

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node-2i/

I have also been on the lookout the possibility of a network DAC that does DSD and will be equal or greater to the sound quality of the Yammy.

Does anyone in this fine community of misfits have similar setup requirements? If so, what products did you select in the end and how are they working out for you? As always, all recommendations, snide comments and slaps upside the head are most welcome! Help me spend my money!

Attachments

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I've read a lot of good things about the Bluesound Node 2i. How important is DSD streaming to you?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I've read a lot of good things about the Bluesound Node 2i. How important is DSD streaming to you?
Well, I have quite a few DSD files that I have invested in and they sound pretty great. If possible, I would like to have the capability. That, for me, would be the only drawback to the Node.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I have quite a few DSD files that I have invested in and they sound pretty great. If possible, I would like to have the capability. That, for me, would be the only drawback to the Node.
Ah - got it! I've been reading on some forums that the Node 2i may stream DSD, but it converts to PCM first.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis