Experience with RX-V2400 & VSX-55TXi?

X

x94blair3

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi, I've been researching a lot of AV equipment in the last month + in advance of moving into a house. &nbsp;I've not had a component style home theater before so it'll be from the ground up.

I've been looking at two receivers, the Yamaha RX-V2400 &amp; and the Pioneer VSX-55TXi because I've heard some good user experiences and they seem to have more than enough features for now and in the future as I get more comfortable. &nbsp;I'm also drawn to the auto-calibration feature of both units as it will help give me a starting point and make setup a little less overwhelming.

I'm considering Axiom speakers as I've read a lot of good things about them.

My question is does anyone have any experience with either or both of these receivers (especially with these speakers)? &nbsp;Every time I feel that I'm leaning towards one something comes up that makes me change my mind.

Also, a related note, how do you all audition this equipment? &nbsp;Here in Grand Rapids there is only one Yamaha dealer, he didn't know anything about the 2400 and confessed to not know much about any of them.

Then I hit another store to audition the Pioneer 55txi and they had it hooked up to some HDTV channel through satellite. &nbsp;They didn't offer a movie to test and when I mentioned that I should have brought in a CD to at least here that, he said &quot;Oh...well, unfortunately the CD player isn't connected correctly anyway. &nbsp;We found that out last night!&quot;. &nbsp;He seemed as clueless as the other guy.

Not to mention even if they were organized and able to offer a quality demo, it wouldn't really be a true test of what you'd expect at home.

Do most of you folks just wing it based on opinion and reviews? &nbsp;That seems to be the situation I'm stuck in.

Thanks,

Nick</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hi Nick!

Whenever I buy new equipment, I try to buy from a dealer that has a generous return policy. I bought my Yamaha RX-V2400 from Tweeter Electronics. They allow up to 30 days to return and gave me six months to upgrade should I choose to do so. They also discounted it $100. Before I bought the 2400 I bought a Pioneer Elite receiver and auditioned it for 3 weeks before I brought it back (full refund) and got the 2400. If something comes out that I like better than the 2400 in the next six month, I'll trade up(they allow full purchase price on trade ups). The bottom line for me is: buy, try, and return if necessary. I've auditioned a lot of equipment using the &quot;buy, try, and return&quot; axiom.

Sorry about you experience with your local retailers. Unfortunately, there are many folks with stories like yours. If you don't mind taking a hit on return shipping, there are a lot of good internet companies with excellent customer service and great return policies i.e, Axiom Audio.

BTW, the Axiom speakers (great speakers IMHO) will work fine with the Yamaha and Pioneer receivers and really any other reputable company's gear. I think its' mainly a question of features although many will say that some receivers &quot;sound&quot; better than others. In reality they should all have no particular &quot;sound&quot; of thier own (barring DSP modes) and should strive to deliver a clean, neutral signal to the speakers.

Speakers on the other hand usually will have a &quot;house&quot; sound or sometimes refered to as &quot;voiced&quot; (some more pronounced than others) so its' important to audition as many speakers as you can. I personally go for speakers that sound the most &quot;honest&quot; to me with the least distortion. Of course everyone has a different opinion as to what sounds &quot;honest&quot;.

When buying new equipment, I think you have to rely on a good mixture of opinins, reviews, and finally home auditions when ever possible.

mwc

P.S: See ya at the Axiom forum.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis