Excess cables and wire.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
I know that I should keep the power cords away from the audio and video cables/wires, however, what should I do with the excess cable? I tried to use relatively similar length for my front 2 speakers, but one is 1 foot away from the rack and another is 15. For the one that is 1 foot away, should I create one big loop or a smaller coil? Does it matter?

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
It does matter, do not coil your speaker wire. Let it lay randomly.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Ineed, wire coils create inductance. You don't want any more than your cables have naturally.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The best way to avoid having to coil up you speaker wire is to use only the length you need for each speaker. There will be no difference whatsoever in sound if one speaker cable is 1 foot long and the other is 15 feet long.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Keep it short and sweet

Anonymous said:
The best way to avoid having to coil up you speaker wire is to use only the length you need for each speaker. There will be no difference whatsoever in sound if one speaker cable is 1 foot long and the other is 15 feet long.
Yep, sums it up. leave just enough length in case you need to move your equip. rack for easy access, otherwise keep it short as possible.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Sleestack said:
I know that I should keep the power cords away from the audio and video cables/wires, however, what should I do with the excess cable? I tried to use relatively similar length for my front 2 speakers, but one is 1 foot away from the rack and another is 15. For the one that is 1 foot away, should I create one big loop or a smaller coil? Does it matter?

Use the cable lengths you need, but if you need to coil it, go ahead. Fred Davis, publisher of a JAES cable article measured a large spool of cable with minor variations only, insignificant. He even wrapped it around a steel rod with the same results.
Don't forget, and I think the others may be, that this coil, is not a single wire making an inductor but a two wire coil with signals in opposite direction at the same instant.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis