ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
These are possibly questions not normally asked by someone doing this project. My experience is more in the cabinet building then the sound inside it:D

1. Design calls for 17-18 oz of fiberfill - split between the two speakers i assume?

2. I have the fiberfill (dacron) two layers thick on the sides, back and top (in the upper 22") - sufficient?

3. Port length 2 3/4" - total length or interior?

Thanks for any help.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome to Audioholics!

1. Design calls for 17-18 oz of fiberfill - split between the two speakers i assume?
That's 17-18 oz per cabinet. Use generic polyester fiberfill (pillow stuffing) or Acousta-stuff. It's sold in 16 oz bags, and people have used 16 oz per cabinet without apparent problem.

2. I have the fiberfill (dacron) two layers thick on the sides, back and top (in the upper 22") - sufficient?
The fiberfill is meant to be loosely fluffed and spread evenly throughout the upper 22" of the cabinet interior. It's meant to fill that space, not just line the walls.

3. Port length 2 3/4" - total length or interior?
The total interior length of the port is 2¾" - that's from one end to the other.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask :). Good luck with your build!

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Thanks!

I was working on it today but decided to take the rest of the day off. Due to inadequate attention I tested which was tougher, my thumb or the 3/4" straight cut bit @24000 rpm. Afternoon off it is!

Remember kiddies, power tools are for adults only....

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
Is this the design you are building?
The Seas ER18DXT ported two way

I just finished a pair of these about a month ago. They are amazing speakers...and even more so when they come in under $1000. Here is a link to a picture of mine.
Mark K's ER18DXT Build Thread.

This is the batting I used. It is not exactly like what he uses, but it does the trick. It really seems like a lot with the polyfill and the batting...but it is what he calls for. Please post pics when complete. I recommend building your own cabinets, just because I think the parts express cabs are ugly.

http://www.kmart.com/warm-company-batting-white/p-1990000000262104P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Is this the design you are building?
The Seas ER18DXT ported two way
I assumed ARES24 was talking about the ER18 MTM tower design posted here. I hope I'm right about that, or the info I told him is wrong.

I just finished a pair of these about a month ago. They are amazing speakers...and even more so when they come in under $1000. Here is a link to a picture of mine.
Mark K's ER18DXT Build Thread.
Nice. There are several designs using the Seas ER18 woofer, a really good driver, combined with various different tweeters.

Please tell us more about them, I'm curious.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Swerd is correct, I am working on the ER18 MTM tower design. Suppose I should be more clear.

I will throw up a couple pics when I get them a bit farther. (AKA actually assembled!) Might be a while still though, went to router my front baffle and my plunge router is broken!! (lots of blue arcing along the motor.... lending tools to friends....)

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
HAHA SUCCESS!!!

Another set of speakers done for the DIY section! The finish that I was going for was the same as Skylines'. However, I do now have access to a sprayer so the going was a slower. I think that the finish is ok but everyone tells me that I am crazy:rolleyes:

The reason I stopped before I was satified; with a two year old and a newborn in the house time has gotten more precious and I cannot guarantee the safety for the speakers!! :D Perhaps I will finish them to my satisfaction when I am not worried about toy cars, flying legos and ballistic children!

Besides, the true reason for these speakers is not visual beauty. They sound spectacular!! :eek: Now I have to listen to all my music AGAIN!:cool:

The only down side to these speakers that I have found is the fact that bass output of these speakers makes my sub 'look' bad;) The only solution I can think of is starting a DIY sub build.........

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Besides, the true reason for these speakers is not visual beauty. They sound spectacular!! :eek: Now I have to listen to all my music AGAIN!:cool:
:D Great to hear that! :D
I think that the finish is ok but everyone tells me that I am crazy:rolleyes:
Remember that while you were finishing the speaker cabinets your eyes were in "super upclose detail mode" and you could see all the little flaws and mistakes that no one else would notice.

Ignore how they look for a good while. Let the kids do what they will (fish out the legos, half eaten graham crackers, and other surprises from the rear ports), and in a while you'll see them like every one else sees them now :D.

Enjoy them.

mattsk8

mattsk8

Full Audioholic
HAHA SUCCESS!!!

Another set of speakers done for the DIY section! The finish that I was going for was the same as Skylines'. However, I do now have access to a sprayer so the going was a slower. I think that the finish is ok but everyone tells me that I am crazy:rolleyes:

The reason I stopped before I was satified; with a two year old and a newborn in the house time has gotten more precious and I cannot guarantee the safety for the speakers!! :D Perhaps I will finish them to my satisfaction when I am not worried about toy cars, flying legos and ballistic children!

The only down side to these speakers that I have found is the fact that bass output of these speakers makes my sub 'look' bad;) The only solution I can think of is starting a DIY sub build.........
We need pics or this never really happened :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis