BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HELP!

All of my equipment is stored in my basement in a large Middle Atlantic rack, but my wiring allows for my DVD player, VCR, and PS2 to be in the family room with the projector and plasma at the end of the couch.

My problem is, I can't find any reasonably priced stereo cabinets that are actually short. I keep finding 4 feet tall models - or those that are low enough are wide enough for a TV.

I really want something almost identical to the Salamander Designs Synergy 30 model... But, when I price up the Synergy with sides, a front door and some rack rail - it comes out to $950.00!!! :eek:

That's just insane. If I'm going to spend almost a grand on a 30" cabinet, I am going to have it custom built. But, I would really prefer a nice Ikea type of furniture that is more in the sub-$200.00 range. I'm not putting a TV on it - just a few pieces of gear inside and I can put rack rail in myself.

IDEAS? EXPERIENCES?

Thanks!

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
When I was installing we would make custom cabinets and just use the stand alone rack rails. That way you can make it however you want and still fit the equipment.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Diy?

I almost hate to post this as I'm not sure if this is even on target with what you want. I built this rack myself (and if I can do it, a blind monkey with one eye can do it). For the record, I ignored all the snake oil peppered through and just used the design. Disregard if not what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
mrnomas said:
I almost hate to post this as I'm not sure if this is even on target with what you want. I built this rack myself (and if I can do it, a blind monkey with one eye can do it). For the record, I ignored all the snake oil peppered through and just used the design. Disregard if not what you are looking for.

Nice rack mrnomas, seems like I saw another almost identical to that over on the Club Rotel site. I like your Axiom setup as well.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well - some things are a must:

1. It must be enclosed & lockable - or be able to accept a tot-lot. My 16 month old is all about seeing how well a piece of bologna will play in the DVD player.

2. I am currently thinking about going custom which will likely be a fair bit less expensive than Salamander - but not much.

3. Rack rail is something I can install myself if the rough opening is about the 19" that is required.

I love the look of the open cabinet, but since I have no amps or serious heat producers inside the cabinet, ventilation is not a primary concern. Security from young prying hands is for sure. Open just doesn't work. Thanks.

Anyone else? Anything stock?

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I am also looking for a cheap lockable cabinet. I have a 10month old, that loves playing with the receiver knobs, and the power buttons.

The cabinet I am looking for has to be 20-24U, < 17" in depth, plexiglass front, and no more then $400.

Any help or links are always appreaciated.

Reorx

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I ended up buying today - found something that will accomodate some rack rail and seems to be just about the right size - I may have to go with a smaller drawer though...

http://www.homeaudiosuperstore.com/audio-furniture.html

I went with a Wood Technology AR-3 and got it delivered for just over 200 bucks. Similar to that was what I was looking at with Salamander... for $1,000.00!

No, no lock built in, but I can slap a tot-lock on it in about 10 minutes I figure. It'll keep my kid's prying hands away from the DVD player. I have to add some rack rail as well - no problem.

You may want to consider the larger AR-2 from them - but that's at your budget limit. Take a look around that site as well as
http://www.standsandmounts.com
http://www.racksandstands.com

You should get closer than you will wandering through stores I imagine.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I didn't bother locking my equipment away from my 2 year old but you may not want to listen to me.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis