Equalize Frequency Response

A

aceeagle

Audiophyte
Built in EQ in my receiver. Does anybody know how to test to get Flat response from speakers. I have an SPL Meter but don't know where I can get a test tone disc that has indivdual freq tones for measurement tests. Do I have the right idea here? Can anybody steer in me in the right direction?
Thanks! :)

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
I've heard that the automatic equalisation found on some newer AV amps is very good, but it is more difficult to manually equalise.

Here is a quote from the manual for a pair of Tannoys I use:

'The i6AW loudspeaker is designed to need no equalisation or correction to overcome
system limitations. As a result, it will only need equalisation to compensate for difficult
acoustic environments.
Over equalisation can reduce system headroom, and introduce phase distortion
resulting in greater problems than cures. If equalisation is required then it should be
applied gently and smoothly.'

I think the general accepted wisdom is that you should avoid using an equaliser, unless it is of high quality, ie. usually a separate component.

A

aceeagle

Audiophyte
Thanks tbewick,
It does seem difficult to adjust the EQ on the Denon AVR 3805, plus you have to do it for every channel.
All I really want to do is tweak the results of the auto EQ - it seems to low in the middle and too high on the highs
The tone controls don t help much

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis