Epson Projector Owner’s Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I started a few Owner’s threads of various brands, especially back when I was a moderator for Audioholics. :D

I think Epson deserves an Owner’s thread as well, especially since Epson is the #1 seller of projectors in North America and the world.

Epson offers 2 lines of projectors - consumer and commercial/professional. The 2 biggest differences include price and brightness. The commercial PJ‘s can cost as much as $80,000+ for their 4K-8.3-million-pixel laser PJ and brightness goes up to 30,000 lumens!

The consumer PJ’s are usually under $5K with less than 3,000 lumens, including their upcoming 4K-4.6-million-pixel Laser PJ’s.

I recently bought one of the newest Epson commercial laser 4K HDR PJ’s - the Epson EB-PU1006W:

I am extremely thrilled with this new PJ, definitely getting extremely spoiled with all the beautiful bright lumens.

The Epson 6050, 5050 and 4050 are also great affordable consumer PJ’s.

This is mainly an Audio forum, but Video is also important for HT.

Hopefully other Epson owners can chime in and post their experiences. :D

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Full Audioholic
Nice projector. My wife would kill me if I spent that much on one. I'm a 2× Epson Projector owner myself. The first one was my Epson Powerlite 8350 1080p Projector that I bought in 2016:

20210104_144326.jpg

It served me well for the 5 1/2 years I used it. Only replaced the bulb once. It was recently supplanted (in July) by my new 5050UBe:

20210708_213617.jpg

The difference between the two is pretty amazing, though I haven't really gotten a chance to test the 5050UBe out fully yet as my RX-A2040 isn't 4K. I purchased a new pre pro that arrived on Monday that is 4K, and will be setting it all up this weekend. Looking forward to seeing what this can really do. Side by side comparison of the two:

20210708_202738.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice projector. My wife would kill me if I spent that much on one. I'm a 2× Epson Projector owner myself. The first one was my Epson Powerlite 8350 1080p Projector that I bought in 2016:

View attachment 51130

It served me well for the 5 1/2 years I used it. Only replaced the bulb once. It was recently supplanted (in July) by my new 5050UBe:

View attachment 51131

The difference between the two is pretty amazing, though I haven't really gotten a chance to test the 5050UBe out fully yet as my RX-A2040 isn't 4K. I purchased a new pre pro that arrived on Monday that is 4K, and will be setting it all up this weekend. Looking forward to seeing what this can really do. Side by side comparison of the two:

View attachment 51132
The 5050 is an excellent 4K PJ. It’s excellent in its own merits. But definitely excellent considering the cost compared to some other PJs.

This lumens business is a dangerous game for sure. Have to see it to believe it. :D

When I was using an 1800-lumen PJ, it seemed bright enough in Natural Color Mode (although dim in Cinema Mode). But Natural Color Mode was bright enough. Then I used a 3000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden, the 1800-lumen PJ became too dim even in Natural Color Mode. Then I used a 6000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden 3000-lumens became too dim. :D

I’ve been using 70% power mode/Cinema mode. But when I was watching “Underworld Blood Wars”, it was too dim. So I had to use 100% power mode (normal mode).

Then I thought, hmm, why don’t I use 100% power mode for other contents? So I watched “Foundation” TV series episode 7 last night using 100% power mode. And WOW! It was even MORE AWESOME!

Now I’m wondering if 8000-lumen is what I WANT/DESIRE? :D

I was going to get the 7000 or 8000-lumen Epson, but they (7000-lumen and 8000-lumen PJ) were not available yet (until the “Holidays”).

So it’s a dangerous game we play.

For audio, we can buy more power amps that cost $10K and Pre-pros that cost $20K and we probably will NOT hear that much of a significant improvement. Maybe the Auto Room EQ software might give some people the sound they prefer. Awesome BASS is a significant improvement, especially if you’ve never heard it before.

But wow, the lumens are something special. Have to SEE it to believe it.

Some people have already asked me what I would want to UPGRADE to?

8K resolution? No, not 8K. Sure 24K would be nice also if the day comes, but they are diminishing returns.

What I want is even more lumens, baby, more lumens. ;) :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic Chief
The 5050 is an excellent 4K PJ. It’s excellent in its own merits. But definitely excellent considering the cost compared to some other PJs.

This lumens business is a dangerous game for sure. Have to see it to believe it. :D

When I was using an 1800-lumen PJ, it seemed bright enough in Natural Color Mode (although dim in Cinema Mode). But Natural Color Mode was bright enough. Then I used a 3000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden, the 1800-lumen PJ became too dim even in Natural Color Mode. Then I used a 6000-lumen PJ and all of the sudden 3000-lumens became too dim. :D

I’ve been using 70% power mode/Cinema mode. But when I was watching “Underworld Blood Wars”, it was too dim. So I had to use 100% power mode (normal mode).

Then I thought, hmm, why don’t I use 100% power mode for other contents? So I watched “Foundation” TV series episode 7 last night using 100% power mode. And WOW! It was even MORE AWESOME!

Now I’m wondering if 8000-lumen is what I WANT/DESIRE? :D

I was going to get the 7000 or 8000-lumen Epson, but they (7000-lumen and 8000-lumen PJ) were not available yet (until the “Holidays”).

So it’s a dangerous game we play.

For audio, we can buy more power amps that cost $10K and Pre-pros that cost $20K and we probably will NOT hear that much of a significant improvement. Maybe the Auto Room EQ software might give some people the sound they prefer. Awesome BASS is a significant improvement, especially if you’ve never heard it before.

But wow, the lumens are something special. Have to SEE it to believe it.

Some people have already asked me what I would want to UPGRADE to?

8K resolution? No, not 8K. Sure 24K would be nice also if the day comes, but they are diminishing returns.

What I want is even more lumens, baby, more lumens. ;) :D
Well, after reading this response and seeing how much you love those lumens. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go all out and get the Christie Griffyn. Comes with 34k lumens!! I think that should be enough to project on to my 250" 2.40:1 AT screen. :p:p:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, after reading this response and seeing how much you love those lumens. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and go all out and get the Christie Griffyn. Comes with 34k lumens!! I think that should be enough to project on to my 250" 2.40:1 AT screen. :p:p:D
34K lumens would be crazy awesome. :D

I just watched Midnight Mass episode 4 using 100% power mode (6000-lumen). It was awesome. :D

WookieGR

WookieGR

Audioholic
I have the UB5050 because I couldn't afford the JVC NX9 but am super happy with it. I wish I could squeeze a tiny bit more black out of it but overall it's fantastic.

20211010_134443.jpg

M

Movie2099

Audioholic Chief
I have the UB5050 because I couldn't afford the JVC NX9 but am super happy with it. I wish I could squeeze a tiny bit more black out of it but overall it's fantastic.

View attachment 51149
Was the NX9 your only option? Haha. You can easily get an NX5 in the $5k range. You might be able to get used for cheaper. Sony 295 for $4500/$5k.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got an update that the Epson 6050UB (4K 2600-lumen lamp-based) is now EOL (end of life, discontinued).

Epson should have a replacement in 2022 - probably the Laser 4K 2700-lumen - the LS12000.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
T
Just got an update that the Epson 6050UB (4K 2600-lumen lamp-based) is now EOL (end of life, discontinued).

Epson should have a replacement in 2022 - probably the Laser 4K 2700-lumen - the LS12000.
That is SUPER screwy. I heard the LS12000 was going to be a good deal more than the 5050/6050 models. I guess you didn't hear if the 5050 was also EOL? That just doesn't seem to make any sense to me if they got rid of the 5050 and the 6050. I guess since the 6050 is closer in price to the laser models it may make a fair bit of sense, but we will see what is in the $3,000 price category when the dust settles.

I really hope they are able to bring their 4K pixel shifting laser right in to replace the 5050. It is a logical progression and really would put pressure on others to make the move over to laser models, which is long overdue. BenQ really has some range as well with their use of high brightness LEDs making the potential for a really high quality entry level model possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is SUPER screwy. I heard the LS12000 was going to be a good deal more than the 5050/6050 models. I guess you didn't hear if the 5050 was also EOL? That just doesn't seem to make any sense to me if they got rid of the 5050 and the 6050. I guess since the 6050 is closer in price to the laser models it may make a fair bit of sense, but we will see what is in the $3,000 price category when the dust settles.

I really hope they are able to bring their 4K pixel shifting laser right in to replace the 5050. It is a logical progression and really would put pressure on others to make the move over to laser models, which is long overdue. BenQ really has some range as well with their use of high brightness LEDs making the potential for a really high quality entry level model possible.
Nope, the email just named the 6050UB as EOL.

But I have a good feeling the future is bright…and laser…and with a good price. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis