Entry level Subwoofer short list - what would you pick?

R

Redbone

Audioholic
The Velo you listened to was probably the PS1000 series II that is a nice sub in a small attractive package. If you liked that you would have really liked the Velo DD12.

If I were in your shoes I think I would order the Hsu in fact I am in a similar position as you and that is what I am doing after lots of research on other brands.

R

Redbone

Audioholic
What about the Mirage LF-100?? Anybody heard any feedback on this sub yet? It may be worth a shot as the FRX10 was very well reviewed and at under $300 it could be just what the doctor ordered.

I

Illuminatti

Junior Audioholic
If you can find an M&K on Ebay thats terrific, but if you wanted it new nothing beats HSU for its price.

U

Unregistered

Someone on AVS or the Hsu forum posted that the STF-1 he bought for his parents bested his friend's CHT-12.

R

remmib

Enthusiast
STF-1 on its way

I ordered the STF-1 and it should arrive tomorrow....Fedex ground isn't all that fast. UPS seems faster and their tracking is updated more quickly.

U

Unregistered

On the Contrary in my area FedEx groung is much faster than UPS and their tracking is second to none. They are also much cheaper, a good reason why FedEx is kicking UPS *** and also why FedEx showed a 42% profit last quarter.

R

remmib

Enthusiast
Update

The STF-1 arrived last week, didn't get a chance to evaluate it until
during the weekend. The HSU is louder and cleaner overall, but I'm not
too pleased with the buying process, the rep was not very knowledgeable
and the spec was inaccurate. Email to HSU was not returned (already over
7 business days) I'll write more details in a new thread when I get a
chance...

U

Unregistered

Hmmm this is truly disapointing... You should look at the Rocket UFW-10

U

Unregistered

remmib said:
The STF-1 arrived last week, didn't get a chance to evaluate it until
during the weekend. The HSU is louder and cleaner overall, but I'm not
too pleased with the buying process, the rep was not very knowledgeable
and the spec was inaccurate. Email to HSU was not returned (already over
7 business days) I'll write more details in a new thread when I get a
chance...
Their forum indicated some system problems.

U

Unregistered

Server difficulty at HSU last week.

At HSU, we were moving to a new server and the administrator didn't have a setting entered correctly. Sorry about that. We should have caught up and answered your email, unless you used the "Recommender Box" between last Thu and Tue, in which case you will need to resend.

I'm curious about which spec was listed incorrectly?

I'm glad you liked the product, though!

Best,
Sasha

R

remmib

Enthusiast
As indicated in my previous postings, I have very limited space and was specficially looking for a small subwoofer.

The STF-1 spec. is listed as 19Hx10Dx16D. I didn't trust the spec so I emailed you Hsu, as there was no reply,I called customer servcie and asked if the spec. was exact. The customer rep. wasn't sure, he asked someone in the background then turned around told me "yeah, these are exact". It turned out the width of STF-1 is more like 11", 10 7/8" to be exact. In my case the the extra 7/8" makes a difference and that was a major disappointment, I wish I had the correct information up front.

I already told Dr. Hsu about that and the web site has since been fixed. That was pretty quick.

U

Unregistered

If your still in the market check out the pinnacle baby boomer at 9 7/8" it is damn compact and really lights up a room.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Good to see you makin' the rounds, Sasha. With all the stuff going on with Hsu I imagine you've been pretty busy. Any news on a potential replacement for the venerable TN1220? I'm almost afraid to ask, as I've been delighted with mine over the years. Still, if the Doc can top it, I'm all ears! :D

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

Enthusiast
Audiopro. Swedish brand now included in Kenwwod catalogue, at least here in Europe. Specialized in reduced size but good LFE. I have the cheapest Cinema sub. Good enough at moderate volumes. Not only for Home Theatre, also for music. Even an option for low-end SACD and DVD-A gear.

Cheers
FA

burningrooster

Audiophyte
I would check out the Athena Technologies Asp-300 or ASP-400 both are reasonably priced at about 350CAN$ for the 300 and about 499$ for the 400 at future shop. I am not certain of US$ however both have recieved great reviews and i personally auditioned both. Although the 400 is nicer sounding the 300 is a fantastic econmical equivalant

U

Unregistered

there is a dealer in TO which is now authorized to sell HSU

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis