Enter to Win: HDMI Cable from DVIGear

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
DVIGear wants your opinion about Return Policies
…and we’re willing to give you the shirt off our backs for it !

In the competitive world of online retail, policies and customer service can make or break a company. We want your opinion on return policies for online retailers, so we’re giving away our extremely popular HDMI Super High Resolution cables to five (5) randomly selected winners that respond to the questions below. Each winner will be able to choose one cable of his or her choice up to 7.5 meters. Also, five (5) randomly selected winners will receive a DVIGear t-shirt in the size of their choice. Each t-shirt and cable will be delivered at absolutely no charge!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their return policies?
  2. What do you think is a fair and realistic return window (days after purchase) for an online retailer like DVIGear?
  3. What do you think is a fair restocking fee percentage when products are not returned in immediately saleable condition?

Extra BONUS for Audioholics Readers!!!
Don't want to wait for the contest? As they say, “Seeing is Believing”. Use discount code AH-0306 to get a 5% discount on ANY of our Super High Resolution DVI and HDMI cables.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aphotog

Audiophyte
When buying from an online retailer I would rate a fair return policy as an important consideration (price, quality and a fair return policy in order of importance).

A reasonable return window for an online retailer should be 30 to 45 days.

When products are not returned in saleable condition I think that a 10 to 15% restocking fee is reasonable.

A

amp74

Audiophyte
return policy

I rate the return policy rather low in importance, as i would be shocked if it werent very, very sympathetic to the consumer. i expect all online retailers to have at least a 30 day return policy. as a cable retailer, i expect no restocking fee, as packaging is a minimal price to pay versus annoying or alienating a consumer. word of mouth, especially the bad kind, is infinitely more expensive than any money lost in restocking.

aaron pelc
amp74@yahoo.com

N

nygren

Enthusiast
> 1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their return policies?

Quite a bit, although it depends on what I'm buying.
For products that are also carried by retail stores with higher prices than online,
I have higher expectations for the retail stores. The exception is for products
that I'm buying online sight-unseen.

> 2. What do you think is a fair and realistic return window (days after purchase) for an online retailer like DVIGear?

30 days after delivery (or 45 days after purchase).

> 3. What do you think is a fair restocking fee percentage when products are not returned in immediately saleable condition?

It may depend on the product, but restocking fees generally annoy me
and make me much less likely to purchase a product. If the product is
damaged, that's my fault and a restocking fee is fine. If it simply
had packaging opened in such a way as to be not immediately saleable,
there shouldn't be a restocking fee within the return window.
This should be baked into the cost/markup of the product or otherwise
absorbed as a part of doing business. Providing opened products
for sale at a 10-15% discounted price (but still having them be returnable)
seems like a way to limit the losses from getting products that need
to be restocked.

G

golfermafia

Audiophyte
1. It is not that important to me. I just read a bunch of reviews before.

2. 30 days

3. prolly around 10%

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
[SIZE=3[list=1]
[*]When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their return policies?
[*]What do you think is a fair and realistic return window (days after purchase) for an online retailer like DVIGear?
[*]What do you think is a fair restocking fee percentage when products are not returned in immediately saleable condition?[/list]

1.Return policy is important. Some polices, you can't return the item if you open it. Well, how are you gonna know if you like it if you don't use it. That's crazy.

2. 30 days, even thogh it's online, you're still a store, just like a brick n mortar store. Even though Best buy is a rip off, I'll buy a product there, test it at home, return it and then buy it online. That's a pain, but it saves a buck or two.

3. 5%, need I say more?

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
1. It depends what product I am buying. When I am buying something cheap like cables, I don't really care about the return policy because the product is probably not going to fail. When a product is expensive (more than, let's say, 100 bucks per item), I would presume it would have a good return policy just to back it up, so I would be confident of the product working perfectly.

2. probably 14 business days...but as a consumer, I would like to have 30 days.

3. 10-15% restocking fee if the product cannot be immediately re-saleable.
Otherwise, no restocking fee should be charged for a product that is in excellent/perfect condition.

D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
1 very important exspecially if i can not test the equiptment before purchase.

2 30-45 days

3 i am not a fan of restocking fee but to keep prices cheap i suppose 10%

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
1. Return policies are very important. Too often, problems arise after packages have been delivered and opened, and sometimes, they happen well after that. If I can't return or exchange an item, it's a pretty long shot that I'll ever give my business to that company, no matter how good their prices are.

2. Since cables (particularly digital ones) either work or they don't, then 30 days is fair. [Although to be honest, I answered 60 days without even thinking about it.]

3. 10%. We customers are unfairly taken advantage of enough as it is, so 0% would be nice, but unrealistic. 10% seems fair to me.

cheers,
supervij

C

Cozmo

Audioholic
Return policies are one of your only forms of protection since you cannot test out the equipment in a B&M store.

I would think 30-60 days is sufficient, however it should be based on reciept of said items not on ship date.

I think 5-10% is fair depending on the item in question.

C

cthomp

Junior Audioholic
[*]When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their return policies?
[*]What do you think is a fair and realistic return window (days after purchase) for an online retailer like DVIGear?
[*]What do you think is a fair restocking fee percentage when products are not returned in immediately saleable condition?[/list]

1) Return policies give buyers a certain feel of security. I would say it is important but secondary to service.

2) 30 days is adequate

3) 20%

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
retailer return

A retails return policy is extremely important. I do business with companies like newegg because of their excellent return policy. I am willing to pay a premium for this... though not more than 5% of the items price vs. competitors.

I think a 30 day restock return policy is reasonable. a 10% restock fee is max that I would be willing to accept. Regardless of the manufacturer of the item, the reseller should be willing to handle rma's for at least a year.... without telling the customer to call the manufacture.

P

paintrodsey

Enthusiast
1. The return policy is very important for online buying becuase alot of the time you can't try out the product before hand, and it helps me, the customer that if I don't like it, I can return it without the worry of me losing my money.

2.The 30 day standard is good

3. 15% is about what I think is fair, and 15% what alot of other charge for a restocking fee if the package has been opened.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their return policies?

I expect that regardless of the retailer, online or in-store, I should be able to return a defective product, or a product that fails to do what I purchased it for (for whatever reason) for a full refund. No questions asked. I'll eat shipping/driving costs.

What do you think is a fair and realistic return window (days after purchase) for an online retailer like DVIGear?

Thirty days.

What do you think is a fair restocking fee percentage when products are not returned in immediately saleable condition?

Assuming I'm returning things in the original packaging, there should be no restocking fee. If I'm returning something without the original packaging, or the packaging is such that it is impossible to open and use the item without destroying the packaging, well, I'm not sure. I don't like that kind of packaging to begin with.

S

star2sound

Enthusiast
1) A good return policy is a prerequisite for any on-line retailer

2) 45 days after purchase is a fair return window for electronics and cables since it takes time to break in the product and to fully evaluate it

3) The restocking fee should be prorated to the condition of the returned product. For example 5% for missing literature, 10% for missing packaging, 15% for missing accessories, ...

B

bearearz

Junior Audioholic
HDMI Cable from DVIGear

When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their return policies?
What do you think is a fair and realistic return window (days after purchase) for an online retailer like DVIGear?
What do you think is a fair restocking fee percentage when products are not returned in immediately saleable condition?
1).Return Policies are even more a consideration with on-line purchasing as naturaly your buying sight unseen and without previous purchasing from a given retailer their return policies warrent due consideration. 2)Fair & Realistic return window:30day's from date received. 3)Generaly speeking restocking-fee's should be based on a "case by case"Clear parameters" regarding nature of returned condition.A fee should be assed on clearly abused product sholuld be the only time a restocking-fee should apply!

F

fteixeira

Enthusiast
Return policies are factored into my purchase decision. If the item is expensive, I always look for a solid return policy. I would quickly pass on a retailer if there was no return policy.

30 days after DELIVERY is reasonable.

I feel a 10% restocking fee is warranted if the only issue is damaged packaging. If all the packaging is intact and the item is in new condition, I feel that there should be no restocking fee. I understand the retailer has to run a business, but having a generic restocking fee for all items, regardless of condition, is not right. Reselling an open box for a 10%-15% discount should be part of doing business. The selling price should take this into account.

R

roydonaldson

Audiophyte
1. When buying from an online retailer, how much do you take into consideration their return policies?

I look to check that they are a minimum policy, but don't take it into account when purchasing from a retailier.

2. What do you think is a fair and realistic return window (days after purchase) for an online retailer like DVIGear?

30-60 days for returns.

3. What do you think is a fair restocking fee percentage when products are not returned in immediately saleable condition?

I think a zero restocking fee for opened, but resaleable kit. However if it is not resaleable, then up to 20% seems fair.

Roy.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
1. High concern especially for high cost items.
2. 30 days is plenty.
3. 15% restocking fee if package is damaged. Otherwised nothing.

A

ArnCapo

Audiophyte
1. High concern especially for high cost items.
2. 30 days is plenty.
3. 15% restocking fee if package is damaged. Otherwised nothing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis