Enter to Win: Free HD DVD upgrade with any SLIM or higher model from VidaBox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
VidaBox wants your opinion!

VidaBox is offering free HD DVD upgrade with any SLIM or higher model to three (3) lucky eligible forum member. VidaBox encourages the winners to review the product in the Audioholics forums.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the questions below in this contest thread.

Contest questions: Which high definition format do you think will win, HD DVD or Blu-Ray? Or will they both peacefully co-exist? What are your thoughts on VidaBox's recently released DualHD Media Center with HD DVD & Blu-Ray playback on one system?

Note this contest ends on December 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
Which high definition format do you think will win, HD DVD or Blu-Ray? Or will they both peacefully co-exist? What are your thoughts on VidaBox's recently released DualHD Media Center with HD DVD & Blu-Ray playback on one system?

Both will will peacefully co-exist. Useful since it has the capability to play both formats.

A

aeneas3

Enthusiast
Contest questions: Which high definition format do you think will win, HD DVD or Blu-Ray? Or will they both peacefully co-exist? What are your thoughts on VidaBox's recently released DualHD Media Center with HD DVD & Blu-Ray playback on one system?

I think that sony and their delays for release of blu-ray players will hurt them in the end. They are competing with themselves - they have limited resources and most of the lasers and similar parts are going to put out more ps3s causing delays in players. This will cause hd dvd to win out in the end which unfortunately for sony will cause the ps3 to be the sole utilizer of blu ray technology. I think that a dual player is an excellent option and a great idea! The current uncertaintly of the market makes this a very viable option.

jz3569

Audiophyte
Hd

I think that one format will eventually win the battle. It will come down to price point and obviously supply of movies. I think that Blu-ray is too expensive for the average (read majority) consumer at current prices. A dual function HD DVD player is a great idea to enjoy media from both developers. I wish the XBOX 360 had a dual function DVD player. Too bad their competition is Sony.

S

sharmaravi

Enthusiast
both the formats will coexist (maybe not peacefully). Have capability to play both is a great option.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
My vote is for Blue-Ray primarily because of the PS3 launching the technology to a vast number of people. I think having both technologies is great but I do believe one will become extinct well before the other.

B

bluecaps

Enthusiast
HD def

Which high definition format do you think will win, HD DVD or Blu-Ray?
HD DVD

Or will they both peacefully co-exist?
No

What are your thoughts on VidaBox's recently released DualHD Media Center with HD DVD & Blu-Ray playback on one system?
Great, but it costly.

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
My answer.

I feel that ultimately Sony is doomed to repeat their record of failure due to the heavy handed nature they adopt.

HD-DVD is merely a logical extension of an existing format so there is less for the consumer to adapt or change to. Storage is a moot point in that the theoretical capacities have yet to surface and the currently shipping HD-DVD has enough for a full length feature film in HD including sound. More is not better.

Beta was the better format but JVC played nicer. We all know who won that battle.

As to the Vida box it is gret for early adopters who must have both but I feel the market will determine one over another and with shipping players and software now it will be hard to unseat HD-DVD. Cool idea though.

F

fattyboombah85

Enthusiast

Well, HD I think is more properly named. I would go with HD because for all the people out there that have money and don't know what the **** blue ray is, well at least they know, HEY I HAVE A HD TV, I could get an HD DVD and watch some amazing action films!

HD is cheaper atm. Yes Blu-Ray has more capability, but who will really utilize it? What do I care for? I care for TITLES. And so that is why I think the Dual HD media center is great. Perhaps it will be too expensive though.

If I won the least I could do is review the product.

R

rabbit_ears

Audioholic Intern
those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it

my money's on HD-DVD. for no reason other than marketing.
i think sony has some genius development people but their marketing people are retarded. it's been said before and i'll say it again, people are generally stupid. if i know i have an hd tv and i want a dvd player that will perform better than my progressive scan dvd player i must need an HD-DVD player. "what's this? Blu-ray? what difference does the color of laser have to do with anything?" go to your neighbors house i bet he has a progressive scan dvd player, i bet in 80% of the cases the progressive scan hasn't even be enabled. consumers are led around their local electronics/big box store by commission scavenging snot nosed punks and HD-DVD is just an easier sell because it has the right acronym, people are stupid.
sony i think will ultimately lose out because they won't share the rights to blue ray. Beta was better than VHS, beta lost 'cause sony was greedy. 15 years ago minidisc was poised to take over the world but sony again was greedy and it faded into obscurity (small resurgence recently but minimal), blu-ray i'm afraid will be next.
people on this board are very knowledgeable (almost to a fault) about A/V gear and electronics in general, but i hate to break it to you, you're in the minority. neither format has really endeared itself to the general public, but blu-ray even less so. do i think a dual format player is a good idea? absolutely. will i buy one? hell no, my money is too hard to come by. for my money i'll stick with an upscaling dvd watching fake hd-dvd and when the wad of money left in my pocket makes it uncomfortable to sit maybe then i'll buy an HD-DVD.
I guess i won't be winning the free hd dvd upgrade huh?

enob

enob

Audioholic Intern
Which high definition format do you think will win, HD DVD or Blu-Ray?
Blu-Ray
Or will they both peacefully co-exist?
Blu-Ray will prevail Sony will make this happen
What are your thoughts on VidaBox's recently released DualHD Media Center with HD DVD & Blu-Ray playback on one system?
I think it is a great idea for a long term investment allowing you to purchase both formats until one prevails in which time you still have a unit that can play both

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bearearz

Junior Audioholic
Free HD DVD upgrade

Both the formats will coexist Haveing the capability to play both is a great option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis