Enter to Win: Custom Wall Plates and T-Shirts from DVIGear

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
1) When designing or installing a home theater system, do you always terminate cable runs into finished wall plates? Please explain your preferences.

I am in the first leg of getting ideas for building a home theater. finished wall plates are in the future.

2) What are the most important Audio and Video connector types you need to have on a custom wall plate?

For me it would be HDMI, DVI, Component...maybe firewire for computer hook-up

3) If you won this contest, what type of custom wall plate should we build for you?
integrate a remote acess for my computer and enable me to play mp3's on my receiver

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
[1) When designing or installing a home theater system, do you always terminate cable runs into finished wall plates? Please explain your preferences.
No. I prefer to use the least number of connections in any circuit. Plus, once your walls are closed up it's very difficult to modify your setup.

Tom Andry said:
2) What are the most important Audio and Video connector types you need to have on a custom wall plate?
If I were to go the way of inwall wiring, I would have to say that at least my surround speakers would be wired this way. Therefore, speaker power wiring connections in my wall plates. However, if I had a front projector I could use a wall plate there as well. That would consist of coaxial, component, S-Video, component, DVI, and HDMI connections. If I went through the effort of hiding my wires I would make sure that I have as many options available as possible.

Tom Andry said:
3) If you won this contest, what type of custom wall plate should we build for you? Please click on the link to the website below to explore all the possibilities.
Wow. Impressive. I like your wall plates. Given my current setup I would have to go with a multi composite/s-video/component/DVI wall plate. Assuming that all fits on 1 wall plate. Your design looks similar to the decor switch/receptacle plates. Do you also offer 2, 3, and/or 4 gang wall plates?

L

lincolnhayes

Audioholic Intern
1. It's currently terminated in the wall, but the folks that ran the wiring did a poor job.

2. Most important Audio would be termination for 7.1 surround, & Digital coax. & video would be a DVI plate.

3. A custom plated would consist of a DVI & HDMI plate.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
1)I always terminate my connections to wall plates. It looks a lot cleaner, and to most people this is important. I don't think you loose a lot of quality this way either.

2)Speaker, Cat 5/6, Coax, DVD/HDMI. With these you can do most anything.

3) Unfortunately I would need a monster wall plate. I am just finishing building my own house and my central location terminates the Big Screen theater, the speakers located throughout my house, remote sub wire, and about 6 sets of extra speaker. So it would need to be a BIG plate with Cat 5, speaker and Coax. OH, and I would wear the T-shirt to the Golden Globe. :D

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
1) When designing or installing a home theater system, do you always terminate cable runs into finished wall plates? Please explain your preferences.

I've designed and built 1 home theater thus far. Yes, I used wall plates. If you don't, imho it looks very unprofessional.

I think it depends on which wall plate we're talking about. If it's next a speaker, I'd want stereo audio. If it's video next a projector I'd want HDMI/DVI/Component. All of my equipment is soon to be in a rack, so next to the receiver, I'd need a large enough wall plate for a 9.2 speaker system.

3) If you won this contest, what type of custom wall plate should we build for you?

I would want a HDMI/DVI/Component/Svideo plate for my projector. I added svideo in there becuase my current receiver doesnt upconvert to component. But, that'll be upgraded soon enough.

Reorx

majorloser

majorloser

1) all of my speaker connections are terminated with wall plates and binding posts. I ran conduit and junction boxes for the projector.

2) Most important: binding posts, RCA jacks (audio & video), S-videos and HDMI.

3) Well, I'd like to clean up the projector run in the component closet. I would need 1 ea.HDMI, 1 ea. S-video, 5 ea. BNC video and 1 ea. composite video. Would also be nice to add a 1/4" jack for trigger.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic

No, I prefer to run cables through "vanity panels" thus making it easier to cnhange room configurations at a later date

2) What are the most important Audio and Video connector types you need to have on a custom wall plate? Examples:
If I use them, definitely speakers.

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
1.) Although I currently do not have ALL my runs terminated on wall plates, now that I think I have my speaker placement complete, I will be adding them for the speakers. I already have a plate for the cable TV, telephone, and ethernet runs to my HT system.

2.) My needs are very simple since I have all my components in the same area.

Audio = speaker
Video = coax

3.) Speaker runs would be first on my list. Since my room would not accommodate a 7.1 system, I would probably only need a plate with 4 speaker pairs (2 fronts, 2 rears) and then 4 single pair speaker plates. I guess I would consider an 8 pair and 4 double pairs, but I do not think I would bi-amp any of my speakers. Another wall plate that I would consider if you made one was a coax, RJ11, and an Ethernet switch (either 4 port of 8 port).

-Lou

B

blksnday

Enthusiast
1)
Running cable thru wall & installing wall plates are my current concern, I cant stand the cables hanging around.

2)
Cable Coaxial, TV antena coaxial cable, speaker wires

3)
Plate with 2 Coaxial connector (1 for satellite, 1 for tv antenna)
2 paris of speakers --> total 8 binding posts (for current surround speakr pair and furture use for sur back pair)
1 Ethernet connector (not very important since I'm considering wireless solution)

R

royw

Audiophyte

yes, i like the clean finished look of wall plates, really ties the whole system together asthetically

2) What are the most important Audio and Video connector types you need to have on a custom wall plate? Examples:

Audio: 5.1 rca, rca for spdif
Video: HDMI and component

3) If you won this contest, what type of custom wall plate should we build for you? Please click on the link to the website below to explore all the possibilities.

I'd like a wall plate with HDMI and 3 rca ports for stereo audio and spdif for all kinds of backwards compatability with DVI

Last edited by a moderator:
P

petimager

Audiophyte
Contest

1) When designing or installing a home theater system, do you always terminate cable runs into finished wall plates? Please explain your preferences.I would use wall plates and run cables within the walls, ceiling, and floor DON'T LIKE CLUTTER
HDMI into the wall. Stereo audio I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE
3)
3) If you won this contest, what type of custom wall plate should we build for you? WALL PLATE FOR SUROUND SPEAKERS, Stereo Audio, Coaxial Digital and with DVI, HDMI, and component video .also for my desktop Pc

B

biorep

Audioholic Intern
i'm using a homeade wallplate now and it looks horrible! i terminated the surrounds into the plate, and 1 sattelite coax. I have a second sattelite coax (had to get the 2nd dish for VOOM ;) ) and an OTA antenna. Problem is I dont have room for all so the other 2 go thru the wall just next to the plate. If I won I'd like 1 power, 3 coax (or at leat passthru holes) 4 sets audio (but then I would need 2 plates for the fronts and 2 for surounds), 1 hdmi, 1dvi, 1 phone, 1 ethernet for a "superplate"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis