Enter to Win: $75 off Carada Order and FREE SHIPPING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Carada wants your opinion!

Carada is giving away a coupon worth $75 off your Carada Projection Screen AND free shipping to the continental US to five (5) randomly selected eligible winners. The coupon must be used within 6 months of the drawing date.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Respond to the questions in this contest thread.

Contest Question: Black velvet has long been the industry standard as THE high performance finish on projection screen frames thanks to its wonderful ability to absorb light, enhance perceived contrast, and remain color-neutral. But if Carada offered other choices, would you rather buy a screen with some OTHER finish on the frame? If yes, what finish would you prefer over black velvet? Other colors of velvet? Woodgrain? Brushed aluminum? Something else?

See Carada.com for information on their current product lineup.​

Note this contest ends on August 31st 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Question: Black velvet has long been the industry standard as THE high performance finish on projection screen frames thanks to its wonderful ability to absorb light, enhance perceived contrast, and remain color-neutral. But if Carada offered other choices, would you rather buy a screen with some OTHER finish on the frame? If yes, what finish would you prefer over black velvet? Other colors of velvet? Woodgrain? Brushed aluminum? Something else?

A dark red or dark brown color option might provide a reasonable compromise of masking performance and asthetics. Another non-fabric finish might be easier to maintain like a matte black paint or a black aluminum finish. You could rate the finish options based on their absorption properties. I would also like to see some non-fixed (pull down, portable, etc.) added to Cradas product line because my house doesn't have a dedicated HT room.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I would not be interested in any color other than black, and I think velvet already does an excellent job of absorbing light to prevent reflections.

C

Cozmo

Audioholic
projection screen frames

I think a choice of other dark colors (navy, maroon, etc..) would be beneficial.

-Coz

T

TVJon

Audioholic

Black is the best color choice, but a finish that does not collect dust and is easy to clean might have advantages. What about anodized aluminum in a matte finish? It's not exactly black, but it's close. It's easy to clean and might work well in some situations.

TVJon

S

se-riously2

Audioholic Intern
No other finish than velvet black. Tried and true never hurts. Everything else is a fad.

V

Vanhoecke

Junior Audioholic

I'd stay with the black -- works well, classic look -- anything else would most likeloy be a compromise in performance.

J

jigesh

Enthusiast
I, like many others here, would prefer black. The room is typically dimly lit if not totally dark while viewing movies; and ideally the screen should "disappear" - so other-than-black finish might become distracting especially during lighter scenes. And if the other color offered is a darker shade of say, navy blue or brown, etc. then why not black itself?

R

RelievedSimplet

Enthusiast
I personally would always buy a black velvet screen. As previously mentioned though I would think it would be beneficial to offer other colored velvet such as a dark maroon color, a dark green and a dark blue color, for example. The reason I would say that is, my parents actually had me reapply velvet to the screen they own, in a dark maroon color, to match the painting on the walls. I figured it would have a greater impact on the image but it didn't seem to be much of a difference to my eyes. But yes, I would like to see other colors, just for the purpose of "accessorizing" with the room. To finish it up, wood grain, in my opinion, might work for some people but is a little old fashioned in my eyes, which doesn't belong in a high tech home theater, however a nice black brushed aluminum frame might look nice, as long as it didn't reflect too much, which I suspect it might.

F

frogpond1

Enthusiast
There is a reason Black Velvet is an industry standard, it works and works extremely well. There is a reason scrims and flags in the film/video production field are a black cloth/felt, they absorb and cut the light the best. 'Don't fix what ain't broke' as the old saying goes. Aluminum, even brushed would be too distracting. If anything a dark color but then again I still say it would be distracting. Matt or flat black is the only way to go. There is a reason scrims and flags in the film/video production field are a black cloth/felt, they absorb and cut the light the best.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Midnight blue would be cool....but that's so close to black, you may as well stick with one color only.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I'm planning on buying a Carada screen in a couple of months. If they offered another finish on the frames I might consider it. But only dark colors, like if they offered a nice dark brown maybe. But it would have to be dark and not distracting.

E

erick.s

Junior Audioholic
I'll stick with black velvet - it looks classy and absorbs light.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
My top picks would be wood grain, brushed aluminum, and platinum.

Shugs1037

Shugs1037

Audiophyte
I agree with most in this thread that the black velvet is a fine choice for the frame. Unless there is something else out there that will do a better job, I see no reason to fix something that isn't broken. Choice is always good but to have one just to have one....I prefer to stick with the tried and true.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I like the black velvet best. I would be open to other dark colors in blue, brown or grey to match room colors as well.

bigbangtheory

Audioholic
As long as it could absorb light comparably to black velvet, I think it would look slick to have some sort of brushed aluminum colored option.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
I don't think I would want anything other than Black Velvet. I did do an install for a gentleman who wanted some kind of wooden surround, however. He has a very rustic looking room. We went with an electrically retractable, acoustically transparent screen from www.seymourav.com instead. We mounted it in the celling so it could disappear completely. But, if that hadn't been an option, I would have had to help him make some kind of wooden cover for the existing black surround. *shrug*

C

cjschrot

Audioholic Intern
alternative border

I would like to see dark brown. if the performance can be the same, it would match room setup in the theater I'm building and look much better (at least when the lights are on). Wood trim would also be good, but probably hard to make look nice and absorb the light.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Black velvet has long been the industry standard as THE high performance finish on projection screen frames thanks to its wonderful ability to absorb light, enhance perceived contrast, and remain color-neutral. But if Carada offered other choices, would you rather buy a screen with some OTHER finish on the frame? If yes, what finish would you prefer over black velvet? Other colors of velvet? Woodgrain? Brushed aluminum? Something else?
Black velvet is nice. Brushed aluminum (satin-nickel) would match the rest of the decor in my room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis