Enter to Win: 50% off DVIGear Order

How important is it for you to own a reference quality HDMI Test Pattern Generator?

• I already own one and it’s an essential part of my system

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I think this is an important item to acquire ASAP

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I feel this might be important, but I’d like to know more

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Not really that important

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
DVIGear is giving away 50% discount coupon codes (see below) that can be used on your ENTIRE order for DVIGear products to five (5) randomly selected winners that respond to the questions below. In addition, five (5) randomly selected winners will receive an attractive DVIGear T-shirt in the size of their choice. Each T-shirt will be delivered to the respective winners at absolutely no charge.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Take the poll above and answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
  1. What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator?
  2. What type of audio outputs and audio test signals should be provided ?
  3. What other features and /or connectivity should be offered ?
  4. What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device, assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p ?

Extra BONUS for Audioholics Readers!!!
Don't want to wait for the contest? As they say, “Seeing is Believing”. Use discount code AH-0206 to get a 5% discount on ANY of our Super High Resolution™ DVI and HDMI cables.

Notes:

1. These coupon codes are good for 50% off any single order with an aggregate MSRP value of up to $500. Coupons are non-transferable and may not be redeemed for cash or credit. All unused coupons expire as of July 31, 2006.
  2. This contest ends on February 28th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.
Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
1. What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator?
Not sure - I would assume the usual assortment found on DVE or Avia

Again, I would assume the same as found on DVE or Avia

Maybe connection for other video signals to be able to calabrate across different video sources (i.e. component for PS2, S-video for sat boxes, composite for VHS - yes some people still have vhs)

4. What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device, assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p ?
I'm not sure I would be willing to purchase it. It might make more sense to set up a rental program. I find with most calabration equipment it is cost prohibative to purchase given the infrequency of use. I typically perform a calibration during set-up and then a tweaking/refining once a year (if I remember)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI Tester

All the standard grayscale and color adjustment test patterns included on Digital Video Essentials should be included.

2. What type of audio outputs and audio test signals should be provided?

I don't think full audio testing as a primary function of this device, but a set of individual speaker test tones would be convenient for adjusting speaker levels and a variable frequency sweep/tone for calibrating the sub and frequency response

3. What other features and /or connectivity should be offered?

Easy to use On Screen Display. This is not achieved by current consumer products like DVE.

4. What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device,
assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p?

I think that individuals might be willing to spend $1-200 for this device, but custom installer might be willing to pay more.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic

Full Audio and Video. At least comparable to other comercial test discs.

Not sure.

Not sure.

When I take the next step in my Home theater, my budget will determine what I would be willing to spend. More research/information will determine the necessity of such a product as well.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
1. All color and gray-scale.

2. Avia style full frequency sweep..adjustable.

3. Connectivity should include EVERY device that is being used in HT in this decade.

4. 100-200 bucks seems right.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
1) What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator?

Video:
COLOR BARS
CROSS HATCH
STAIRCASE
SPECTRA-RAMP
MULTIBURST
OVERSCAN-BOUNCE
PLUGE
NEEDLE
CHECKER
LUMA 10 STEP
RASTER (White)
RASTER (Yellow)
RASTER (Cyan)
RASTER (Green)
RASTER (Magenta)
RASTER (Red)
RASTER (Blue)
RASTER (Black)

2) What type of audio outputs and audio test signals should be provided?

PINK NOISE GENERATOR
White Noise Generator
Full frequency sweeps from 20Hz to 20 kHz
Selectable sine wave test tones of 100, 250, 400, 1k and 10 kHz

Audio connectors: Analog Audio (5.1), Digital (optical and coax)

3)What other features and /or connectivity should be offered?

Selectable modes including 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and NTSC

Make it "Backwards" compatible with non-HD connectors

Multi connector output: HDMI, DVI, RGB, S-video, Composite

Audio connectors: Analog Audio (5.1), Digital (optical and coax)

4) What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device, assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p?

MSRP: $500-900

Last edited:
B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
Dvi Contest Reply

Your normal greyscale and color patterns as well as new and unique options.

The more the better - allows more more user compatability and increased sales.

The ability to use it easily on mutiple devices, portability.

If the quailty was there, $300

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
1. What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator? Haven't a clue.
2. What type of audio outputs and audio test signals should be provided ? Digital coax or optical with 7.1 full band tests
3. What other features and /or connectivity should be offered ?A good set of easy to use instructions and demo DVD
4. What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device, assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p ? Free would be nice. I don't know what is reasonable

majorloser

majorloser

1. What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator?Grey scale, Convergence, Pluge and Snell Wilcox......
2. What type of audio outputs and audio test signals should be provided ?Anything didital and 7.1
3. What other features and /or connectivity should be offered ?All digital and RGB connections
4. What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device, assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p ?Whatever she says I can spend:D

B

BobBart

Audioholic
Same pattern currently offered on Avia
Digital and 7.1
Rgb and digital
Wouldn't buy it, probably rent it if needed.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
All the standard test patterns found in Avia and Digital Video Essentials.

Analog 7.1, digital coax, and digital optical. The audio test signals should give a 20 Hz to 20 KHz sweep, provide test tones for all speakers, plus something to help calibrate the sub (levels and crossover).

Connectivity should definitely include all the standards: HDMI, DVI, RBG, Component, S-Video, and Composite. On-screen display would be great too. An easy-to-read manual and demo DVD would help. And it would be nice if it worked for TVs of any resolution.

Ideally, it'd be free! :p Okay, I figure maybe a hundred bucks. That's more than Avia, after all. :D

cheers,
supervij

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
1. What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator?[/I]

All the standard grayscale and color adjustment test patterns included on Digital Video Essentials should be included.

2. What type of audio outputs and audio test signals should be provided?

I don't think full audio testing as a primary function of this device, but a set of individual speaker test tones would be convenient for adjusting speaker levels and a variable frequency sweep/tone for calibrating the sub and frequency response

3. What other features and /or connectivity should be offered?

Easy to use On Screen Display. This is not achieved by current consumer products like DVE.

4. What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device,
assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p?

I think that I might be willing to spend upto $100 for this device, but custom installer might be willing to pay more.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator?
The same as one would expect on a DVE or Avia "calibration" disc: Black Level, White Level, SMPTE Color Bars (w/ Pluge?), Convergence/Overscan (while this *should* be superfluous for digital sets, it wouldn't hurt to throw it in), 100% and 75% each color (red, green, blue). 100% white, 0% (black)

Tom Andry said:
What type of audio outputs and audio test signals should be provided ?
White Noise, Pink Noise, 100Hz, 1KHz, 10KHz

Tom Andry said:
What other features and /or connectivity should be offered ?
XLR and RCA audio, HDMI/DVI video. Component/S-Vid/Composite would be a sweet bonus.

Tom Andry said:
What would be the most you’d be willing to spend for such a device, assuming that it provided high quality output signals at various resolutions including 1080p?
If I was making money setting up people's systems, I would easily pay over $1K for such a device. As a hobbyist who hasn't even built his own system yet... might be kinda tough to justify. Maybe if it was in the $500 range I could split the price with a few friends.

G

greenhill

Audioholic Intern
1... a better test for Contrast/Picture..... some type of Shadow Detail Test would be great.... maybe a Back Light (LCD) Test???
2... Some kind of Dialog EQ test for Center Channel would be cool... Some kind of Phase test for the SUB and Mains would be nice too...
3... ease of use is Key
4...100 bucks.

H

HiJon89

Audioholic

Not sure, whatever patterns allow for accurate calibration of brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.

Coaxial and Optical digital output would be nice, as to test signals I'm not really picky.

Hopefully an HDMI connection, DVI and component would be good too.

Well it would not be of great use to me so I'd say $40.

escrawford

Audiophyte
What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator?

I would assume all the standard test patterns available on the existing two standard DVD test discs. If there are any test patterns that would help determine if a cable is too long or has quality issues that would be very beneficial.

Output should be coax and fiber, and I assume HDMI.

Simple, easy to use and VERY durable, so that I don't have to pack it special in my truck/tool box.

If it had the ability to actually confirm certain runs could support clean, sharp images at 1080p, probably $250-$300.

S

ScottMayo

Audioholic

I'd like to be able to load in .bmp files, creating pixel by pixel definitions of patterns in arbitrary resolutions.

Allow it to hook to a PC sound card to generate tones. Support 7.1 channel sound. I'd like a HT tester, not a video tester. :) If you want to do onboard sound generation, make sure you can get down to 5Hz (to test for rattles in the room) and up past 20Khz.

USB, because as you can guess, I want to use a laptop to control everything. I have to have a laptop anyway, after all.

Well, if you use a laptop for all the settings and controls, USB for power and data, and include custom software to talk to it, and have a lot of image and sound files on an included CD... $250? $200?

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
From a laymans point they should be as easy to use as possible with function and accy factored in

This should be geared towards the future so pc should be included as the standard hi res audio , test signals that can be applied to mulit channel and separate bass channels

Once again looking forward computer based connecitons should be considered

perhaps a few hundered or so depending on the value of such a device and ease of use.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
1. What kinds test patterns should be offered by such a HDMI Test Pattern Generator
Normal greyscale and color patterns.

PINK NOISE GENERATOR
White Noise Generator
Full frequency sweeps from 20Hz to 20 kHz
Selectable sine wave test tones of 100, 250, 400, 1k and 10 kHz

The ability to use it easily on mutiple devices, portability.
Backwards compatible with non-HD connectors
$100

kia303

kia303

Junior Audioholic
rjbudz said:
1. All color and gray-scale.

2. Avia style full frequency sweep..adjustable.

3. Connectivity should include EVERY device that is being used in HT in this decade.

4. 100-200 bucks seems right.
What RJ said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis