Enter to Win: 3x5 Component Switch AND $200 of Merchandise from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Impact Acoustics wants you to win!

Impact Acoustics is giving away the chance to win one (1) 3x5 Component Video Matrix Selector Switch AND a $200 merchandise credit to three (3) eligible forum members!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Come up with a fictional short story featuring Impact Acoustics' new 3x5 Component Video Matrix Selector Switch. The short story needs to feature the product and mentions some of its features. Stories should be 300-500 words in length. The top 10 stories will be posted on the Impact Acoustics websites.

Note this contest ends on July 31st, 2008. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Here is my story:

It was another boring day sitting behind my desk at work. As I am working I have an overwhelming feeling that I am being watched. When I looked around everything seemed completely normal but I could not shake that feeling that some one was watching me.

On the way home I stop by the video store to pick up a movie and again that feeling that I was being watched but again looking around I see nothing out of the ordinary. What gives? Why am I feeling this way?

Arriving home something does not seem right. The doors and windows of the house are all locked. But I can’t help but feel there is some one in the house with me. When I sit down to watch the movie nothing happens, I have no picture on the screen. What’s going on? I soon find the problem; my 3x5 Component Video Matrix Selector Switch from Impact Acoustics is missing.

Getting that strange sensation of not being alone again, I turned to find a strange alien creature holding the switch in his hands. I had caught him in the act; he was stealing a vital piece of my home theater. Knowing he had been found out, I asked him why he did it.

His reply was startling. He said: “I am sorry for trying to take this advanced technology from you. The reason you felt like you were being watched is because you were! You see our monitor does not have enough A/V inputs so we were forced to just leave it on YOU all day. This selector with its three video inputs and five outputs allows us to hook up all our equipment. So we can now watch other things.”

Wow, my life was just part of some intergalactic show and all these guys really wanted to do was watch something else. Feeling sorry for him for having to watch such a lame show, I let him keep the 3x5 Component Video Matrix Selector Switch.

P

project86

Audioholic
Once upon a time there were 3 bears. They were neighbors who lived in a nice little row of 3 houses. Each bear had a nice family of 5. I don’t know if you are aware of this, but bears love technology. All 3 bear families were constantly trying to 1 up each other with the latest and greatest devices. It started with typewriters, turntables, and microwaves, and is still going strong with computers, mp3 players, and of course home theater systems.

The each bear family was constantly on the prowl for more high tech gadgets. As such, the bear families were often disappointed with the quality of performance of their latest acquisition. But bears, being stubborn, refused to wait until the technology was proven. Instead they would jump in as soon as a product came to market. The bears had all owned laserdisc, betamax players, minidisk players, various video game systems, and many other items, all the way up to HD DVD. Each family was getting ready to expand their home theater system to include the new Blu-Ray players that had just been released, and each was also planning on upgrading various other components at the same time. The only problem was that the bear economy was not doing well at all, and each was on a limited budget.

The first bear family went out and spent top dollar, mostly with credit cards. They purchased a high end projector for the living room, and plasma displays for each of the bedrooms. Each room needed its own Blu-Ray player, as well as a home theater receiver and speakers. They ended up spending a lot of money, but were pleased with the results.

The second bear family was not willing to go into debt on this endeavor. They decided to stick with their older plasma and regular DVDs. They were not very happy.

The third bear family took a middle ground approach. They also purchased a projector for the main room and plasmas for the bedrooms. But they decided to use a 3x5 component video matrix selector switch from impact acoustics. This allowed them to purchase a single Blu-Ray player, but pipe the feed into each room via component cables. They also were able to route the audio from that player via TOSLINK cables to the surround receiver in each bedroom. This bear family mostly liked watching movies at different times, so this was a great solution for them. They took the money they saved by not buying multiple Blu-Ray players, and eventually used that to purchase a media center PC, which was also piped into each room via the matrix selector.

This bear family then invited all their neighbors over to watch movies, putting aside any rivalries they used to have. Even bear family number one, with their high end system, had to admit that bear family three made a wise choice.

amagiri

amagiri

Enthusiast
This tale starts as many do:

T’was a dark and stormy night and the first mate turned to the Captain and said, “Cap’n, can ye spin us a yarn?”

“Aye,” Rob the Pirate replied.

So began the tale that I like to call “Enter the Matrix”...

When I first came aboard to learn how to navigate the treacherous reefs that lurk behind the beauty of audio video nirvana, the second mate gave me a task. “Rob, ye scurvy dog. We acquired some nice booty just before the merchant ship WOOFERS went down. We found five HDTV's but only one satellite receiver, a DVD player and a gaming system. Now get yerself below to the cable deck, sort out that rat’s nest of cable and make it all work before stand-easy or I’ll be using ye as an boat anchor just like we did to that HTPC a fortnight ago.”

The cable deck was located in the furthest bowels of the ship. N’er a Jack Tar had been down this deep since the ship was careened three years ago. Spider’s webs and dust bunnies ruled this space. What a mess! Cables of all sizes and types festooned throughout. RCA, component and TOSLINK optical fell from the deckhead, pierced the bulkheads and sought to entangle me. Something grabbed my leg. I screamed and pulled. I panicked. Flailing my arms only entangled me further. I was drowning in sea of cables. “Idiot!” I said to myself, “Calm yerself down and think.”

How was I going to get myself out of this fix? The ship’s bell sounded the change of watch. I needed an answer and I needed it quick. Not just any quick fix would do. I needed a bullet-proof solution. Something that would work in any kind of sea.

As I slowly extracted my arms and legs from the cables I remembered something I had seen tucked away in the scran locker. An item that we took off of that private yacht, which was not using her gear to it’s full potential. Sad really. T’is a good thing that there are privateers around to help ensure that quality is not wasted in the world. I remembered that it was a video matrix switch by Impact Acoustics. Now there is a fine name in the A/V world.

I quickly scrambled up the ladders and flew through the passageways to get the switch. Three component video inputs, along with analogue and TOSLINK optical digital audio for the input would easily handle the audio video switching to my HDTV monitors using the five outputs. I was saved! It even came with an IR remote that I quickly used to program into the ship’s universal remote. The RS-232 would not be used for our ship, and I thought that mayhap during our next adventure I might see if I could acquire some advance controls for our vessel.

Working like a dog I finished the installation, cheesing down cables and making everything tidily. No sooner did I finish than I heard the sound of the Second mate coming down the passage. Upon entering and spying the switch, his scowl slowly turned to a smile.

“Good job lad,” he said, “Ye just might make a sailor out of ye yet.”

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Component Switch Contest

So, last year I won the lottery. After the trip to Disneyland, what is a multimillionaire to do? Design a state of the art home theater, of course. I had the whole thing laid out with a nice 60 inch plasma for daytime viewing, 1080p front projection and 120 inch retractable screen for night time movie watching, Emotiva pre-pro and amplifier, Oppo Digital DVD player, Playstation 3 for BluRay, you name it. All the latest technology that money can buy. So as not to miss out on the action I thought I would route HD video to the kitchen, cabana, and the bathroom for good measure. Easy right? Think again.

Enter the villain, HDMI. The latest and greatest digital video interface had me seeing stars on cable runs over 10 meters or in some cases a blank screen. I also didn’t want to blow all of my new found millions on a couple extra long monster cables or a fiber optic solution. How hard could it possibly be to watch the BluRay, DVD, and satellite feed in the comfort of my bathroom and 4 other convenient locations?

Enter the hero, the Impact Acoustics Component Video Matrix Selector Switch. In addition to routing any of the 3 HD sources to all 5 displays, it will also switch toslink or analog audio. Good old coax has none of the limitations that plague HDMI. It is inexpensive, can handle long runs, is easy to terminate, and 3 cables can handle a HD video feed. The serial interface allows seamless integration with my Crestron touch panel so anyone can easily control all the high end gear. What more could you ask for, it is simple, it is inexpensive, and it works.

Now I can get back to enjoying some of the finer things in life, good music and movies, good food, good company, with HD video routed wherever I roam.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
With the amount of people participating in this, Its practically "in the bag" So, Heres mine!

It all started the day I went crazy. Let me elaborate. I refused to buy a "Reciever" (Ooogh that word makes me shudder) Why you ask? Because I dont want an all in one do it all and wash your socks box of nasty audio gremlins. I am a man. I like having 14,000 buttons I need to press in a specific order to get my stereo working. Here lies the problem. Super high quality audio components do not contain Video switching (that word makes me shudder too... Almost as bad as Equalizer) While I do like my ritualistic pressing buttons and start up procedures, I dont like having to unplug and plug in Component video (because HDMI sucks) at the back of my TV. Number one, Tilting the tv really messes the feng sheui of my system. And if I tilt It I need to then get out my microfiber to wipe off the fingerprints. So instead of going through that mess I decided to get the best thing I could think of.

Enter the Impact Acoustics 3x5 Component Video Matrix Selector Switch which is available directly from impact acoustics! Let me start out by saying the real reason I like this is the External. Yes External power supply. Why is this good you ask? Keeps those powersupply gremlins out of my video thats why! With the touch of the button, on a remote no less I can easily switch between my DVD player or my Cable box or my BluRay or my HDDVD And even my Apple Tv And not only does this switch video, But AUDIO as well. Toslink or Analog. Its all there. This is basically everything you need in a reciever. Without the reciever. So you can still keep that super high end audio system and have your video switching. Its like having your cake and eating it too... with your ears and eyes. And its not that disgusting fruitcake you get at christmas your eating just because there is nothing else. Its that holy grail of cakes that makes your mouth water with just the thought of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis