Enter to Win: $100 off Rives Consulting Service!

Where are you on the continuum of “fixing” your room acoustics?

• I don’t know where to start

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I’ve looked into room treatments/EQ’s but I don’t know which is for me

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • I have put up some room treatments [b]OR[/b] an EQ

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I’ve put up some room treatments [b]AND[/b] an EQ

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I’ve had my room professional treated

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other (please describe below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Rives Audio wants your opinion!

Rives Audio is giving away one (1) $100 off any consulting service coupon to an eligible forum member. This coupon is good for 6 months from the drawing date (August 31st, 2006).

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and the question below in this contest thread:

Contest Question: What would it take to get you to the next level on the continuum listed above?

Note this contest ends on August 31st 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
EQ continuum

A cople of the biggest obsticles on improving my living room HT are money and WAF. I will probably get a sub EQ first, because it avoids the WAF issues. However, if I have the opporunity to build a dedicated HT room, it would justify room treatments and professional measurements.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
To get to the next level, I would need some extra income. Winning this contest would help that greatly!

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Need to get bass traps, not sure which of the options would be most effective on my 2.1 system.

Nick

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
Basically, I would like to put up some acoustical panels in my listening room. I have the resources to manufacture them myself, but it's mostly a time/aesthetic factor that keeps me from making the investment. I live with my younger brother, our living room is the listening room, and I don't think he (or I) is (am) ready to have a bunch of acoustical tiles hanging in the living room. The sound is pretty good as is--though I've never accurately measured it with a computer program. In any case, were I to add acoustical treatment I'd probably start with the primary reflection points and EQ from there. My Denon AVR-3805 provides some decent parametric EQ options. If only AV123's R-DES was available for Mac!!! We'll see...

J

jsmcwilliams

Audiophyte
I have read quite a bit about room treatments and eqing but what holds me back is time and money. I enjoy doing things myself and I am working on finishing some wiring and lighting in my entertainment room before I move onto treatment. Hopefully when these get done I can find the time to take some basic measurements and see where I am. Then hopefully the money will follow to add some treaments.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
Rives Question

There are two things I need to improve. The first is to get a better bass frequency analysis of my room so I can set my BFD up better. (I currently have used Rives Audio Test CD but would like a real spectrum analysis.) The second would require me to move. My current room is all windows on the left side and back with a 9' opening in the back right to the dining room . I have put up theater curtains to soften treble reflections as well as light reduction and that helps some but this room is just an acoustical mess. I end up with my sub crossover frequency set to 120hz because of a null at around 90hz that I can boost with the BFD but can't do anything about through my receiver. The configuration of the room also prevents me from placing my surround speakers (7.1) in optimal locations.

T

Tumara Baap

Enthusiast
I currently use a Rane PE17 for room eq, and implement treatment of most first reflection points. I'm skeptical about using professional services. Firstly, all manner of measurements usually lead to a handful of universal solutions; copious bass traps in the corners, OC 703 at first reflection points, a ceiling thickly interspersed with QRD diffussion and absorption, strategic area rugs on wood floors, and flutter echo measures with drapes/linacoustic and at least a few RPG Diffractals eight feet or more from listening seats. A lot of relevant acoustic performance can be gleaned from just using a mac laptop, Fuzzmeasure Pro, M-Audio Mobile Pre, and a Shure mic. Beyond that, I wonder how much more a professional consultation will provide, and how good that advice will be. Not everyone is a Russ Berger or John Storyk, and there's a risk an "expert" might do more harm than good. And then of course there is the question of value; the typical price of a consultation can otherwise procure a handful of Diffractals in gorgeous Honduran Mahogany...
Tumara Baap

Last edited:
SMM

SMM

Audioholic
Haven't decided yet

I'm just completing construction and I've started to order my electronics. I've looked at several options but haven't decided which way to go. i which there was a way to demo the products so I could make and educated decision.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
I am at the stage where I have my sub in a decent spot, and I have my speakers positioned in my room based on the space need for furniture, etc... My Denon receiver as an Auto EQ function with the mic, and it seems to smooth out the sound a little, but I haven't taken the time to really check to make sure the EQ is actually doing what it is supposed to. I have recently done some research on acoustic treatments, but it is hard to decide what to try. The options that seem like they would look nice AND actually have a positive change in the sound are more money than I currently can spend. I have also considered contacting Rives audio to see what kind of pricing I can get for some consultation, but then again, I probably wouldn't have the cash to implement the plan. *grin* Of course, my wife plays a big part in how the room will look when it is all done, and she also doesn't think we can actually make an improvement in the sound. I must admit, I have gotten pretty used to the way it sounds, and my Denon receiver and infinity kappa speakers are pretty decent. I guess I am having a hard time actually making the decision to go that extra mile and really making the sound and room the best it can be. I wonder if I should actually go visit with the people at Rives... They are only a couple hours from me here in Iowa, and maybe I would be more willing to find the money for the project if I understood more about what they can do.

Bastia

Audiophyte
Money is really the only obstacle. I'm working what overtime I can, but the money still isn't coming in fast enough for me to beat my home theater into shape. I'm working on rounding out my audio gear, and then it'll be moving into the basement at some point, and that's the room that I'll need some sort of consultation on.

C.V.

P

Phillip Tran

Enthusiast
a great advanture...always starts with a small first step!

DIY project requires a lot of research and work, and Professional service requires a lot of money.

Answer: a free consultation will do!

Goodluck everyone!

Phillip

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Next level

Buy and become proficient at using measuring equipment to verify results of treatments.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
id need to hear a significant difference... maybe a demo that wow'd me

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Cash and time. I built the room to be as close to acoustically perfect as possible to minimize the amount of treatments I would need - just haven't gotten to the treatments. Thinking about the DIY absorbers discussed here at Audioholics.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
My next upgrade is to purchase absorption panels for the first reflection points.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
Once we have a house built and move out of the one we are currently renting, we will look into these options.

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
Still learning. So much to learn about this, so little time

T

tenxelit

Audiophyte
To be educated enough on the subject to know where to spend and what to buy within reason would get me to the next level with respect to room acoustics. But this is such a black box full of smoke for me right now I would like to find a good economical way to let the smoke out.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Contest Question: What would it take to get you to the next level on the continuum listed above?
I'm planning on worrying about this once I build my house.
To me, Room treatments seem very complex, and not a easy thing to implement.
I am planning on bringing in a professional, and learn from them. Also, possibly assist / volunteer on some contract work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis