EMX Surround 2004: Show & Conference Report - Day 2 - SACD Dead???

Wow. Day 2 of the the Entertainment Media Expo (EMX) conference held some major surprises including some information regarding Sony's SACD format and the new DualDisc format, namely:

Sony might be pulling the plug on SACD
Dual Discs that had become scratched or had oily fingerprints on them, would continue to play only 30% of the time!​
We report, you decide... But there was certainly some interesting and honest conversation regarding the formats. Again, Audioholics' own Patrick Hart was there to provide coverage. Take a look at Day 2 of the Conference which really stated some plain talk about surround sound formats and methodologies.

Get the Full Report

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'd be pretty surprised if they dropped SACD already, but you never know I guess. Even so, few of my SACDs are on Sony labels, anyway.

It'd be a shame to see them throw in the towel so soon, but whatever happens we'll have to live with it.

Just don't take away my DVD-A and there'll be no problems! :D

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Maybe Sony should adopt a new marketing philosophy. Take mini-disc for example, there are very few people out there that know how versatile this format is. To have technologies like SACD and mini-disc, just to let them fizzle out is just a shame. :mad:

IMHO, its in their marketing.

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
Rob Babcock said:
Just don't take away my DVD-A and there'll be no problems! :D
If SACD goes, DVD-A won't be far behind. It would show that there isn't enough viable interest in high resolution audio. All pointers are that SACD is alive and well and even thriving if you look at the slate of upcoming releases from UMG and others. The Audiophile community has a penchant for getting all excited over rumors and ignoring facts. Announce a new format re-master of any popular title they start screaming about what will be wrong with it before anyone has even heard it. I'd wait for "official" company press releases before I start worrying too much.

U

Unregistered

mikey9fingers

Sony had a great format with SACD. If they had given it more time on the
planning table before they went retail they might have been able to have saved
this great concept. Now folks like myself have given up hope. After a lot of
money and time I realize (like Sony) that I've made a mistake. I am a Sony
fan and they will be back with something better that everyone will enjoy.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Khorn said:
If SACD goes, DVD-A won't be far behind. It would show that there isn't enough viable interest in high resolution audio. All pointers are that SACD is alive and well and even thriving if you look at the slate of upcoming releases from UMG and others. The Audiophile community has a penchant for getting all excited over rumors and ignoring facts. Announce a new format re-master of any popular title they start screaming about what will be wrong with it before anyone has even heard it. I'd wait for "official" company press releases before I start worrying too much.

The interesting part is that you don't have to record hi res with these formats, CD res is just fine but CD discs just don't have the space for multi channel.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
did anybody notice that several engineers professed to using b{l}o{w}se to check a mix?

I wonder how prevelant this practice is?

Mudcat said:
did anybody notice that several engineers professed to using b{l}o{w}se to check a mix?

I wonder how prevelant this practice is?
Probabaly very common. In the studio its common to check your mixes on Aurotones to get the lowest common denominator "boom box" effect. You need to be able to hear how the masses may hear your mixes, not just the audiophiles. I would hope/surmise no one there thought that Bose was the epitome of sound reproduction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis