EMP Tek R55WiR speaker wire terminal question

W

wings

Enthusiast
I am putting together my first home theater and will be using a Denon AVR-X3100W receiver, Emp Tek R55TiR's for front L/R, an R56CiR center channel, and R55WiR's for the surrounds. (Sub is still TBD). My question concerns speaker wire connectors, particularly for the wall-mounted R55WiR's. I plan to use Blue Jeans Cable BJC 12 cable, but am looking for advice from Emp Tek owners concerning which connector type works best within the limited binding post recess in the back of these wall-mounted speakers. I'm not trying to ignite a banana vs spade debate, but as a relative newbie to Home Theater, I am interested in your input concerning this subject.

Thanks in advance!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am putting together my first home theater and will be using a Denon AVR-X3100W receiver, Emp Tek R55TiR's for front L/R, an R56CiR center channel, and R55WiR's for the surrounds. (Sub is still TBD). My question concerns speaker wire connectors, particularly for the wall-mounted R55WiR's. I plan to use Blue Jeans Cable BJC 12 cable, but am looking for advice from Emp Tek owners concerning which connector type works best within the limited binding post recess in the back of these wall-mounted speakers. I'm not trying to ignite a banana vs spade debate, but as a relative newbie to Home Theater, I am interested in your input concerning this subject.

Thanks in advance!
Make it simple. Use bare wire at the speaker terminals and compression bananas at the receiver terminals.

W

wings

Enthusiast
Gene,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you believe that 12 gauge wire is overkill? 12 gauge is apparently a bit large for the satellite binding posts. The longest wire run is about 40'

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Make it simple. Use bare wire at the speaker terminals
No!

Use proper termination and make it safe (for the amp).

All (except R55Wi) speakers will accept regular old banana connectors with no problem what so ever.

For the R55Wi, you need an angled spade connector. Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Spade-Plugs-Pairs/dp/B009KSNVHM/ref=pd_sim_23_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=04E84DGCW65DDVKWXM19

The R55W binding posts looks fairly standard so the Amazon ones above should work, but, just to be 100% sure, you'll need to find out from EMPTek what size to get so that they slot in without too much play and don't stick out beyond the binding post recess. You can e-mail them the Amazon link and they'll tell you, yea or nae.

12AWG is not overkill.

W

wings

Enthusiast
Good info. I've corresponded with Brian at EMP Tek regarding spades, but I will follow up to confirm blade size. Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis