Elac F5's vs RBH R55ti

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern
looking for information and opinions about how these two speaker sets compare. I currently have F5's in a small family room and had some unusual distortion in one of the two speakers so I'm getting that replaced. Having said that I personally have not been quite as wowed as many others I have seen on the forums - but then again my home theater system that I also use has much higher end speakers that I prefer even in just stereo listening. (Happen to be deftech Bp 7000 SC's with anthem avm 30 and ATI 2007 amp).

Anyway I am running the F5's with a Denon 4200w and a set of b5's and and matching center channel in 5.1 setup. I spend about 50/50 time split between 2 channel listening and watching movies with family. After a bit of break in I find the f5's, outside of the distortion I mentioned, to be quite good in fact even great for the $$$, just not quite happy with a few things.

First I find that the highs tend to compress and muddle things together, i.e.: as number of instruments grow in the higher ranges it's hard to distinctly separate them in listening space. Unlike my other system I can't close my eyes and picture (audibly if that makes sense) someone playing a violin next to a cymbal for example. Tracks like sufjan Stevens "come on feel the Illinois" or "Chicago" where there is a lot of horns, some punchy short bursts, some lingering long really lack energy and sound a bit tin-ny and thin to my ear. On the other hand the mids really shine to me and they even handle reasonablely low bass quite well, in fact that's their strongest suit.... Long story short I think they lack the clarity, realism and separation I was hoping for in the upper ranges..

So, the debate I am having really is if I am just simply expecting too much for the money and it's the best out there without shelling out quite a bit more cash...

The closest well reviewed towers I can come across are the Rbh R55ti's and I'm looking to likely do and a/b test with the f5's but wondered what people though who may have listened to either sets and what their personal thoughts are on characteristics. Also, would others on this forum think that's a fair comparison? (Fwiw, on Amazon it's $558 + tx (may get free tax elsewhere), Rbh is $695 free tax although discounted to as low as $520 on special promos)

Thanks,
Brian

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Brian, I was thoroughly disappointed with the ELAC B5's when I compared them to the AA Monitors. They sounded quite dull.
I have heard the R55ti's and it is a great speaker for the cost. Definitely much better than the ELAC if I can assume the F5 has a similar character to the B5 (and they do have same tweeter, IIRC).
Here is my comparison of the B5's to the AA Monitors. The "lack of energy" is a phrase I used for the ELACs just like you.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/elac-b5-vs-philharmonic-affordable-accuracy-new-monitor.97171/

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do the silver trim rings on your B5's sit flush with the cabinet?
Thanks!

B

Brian Mowka

Audioholic Intern
Your description is spot on. Dull/lack of energy. I've gone ahead and ordered the Rbh r55ti's and I should have a few weeks with those that overlap the f5's to make my decision for that room. I'll also compare them in an my home theater with better equipment hooked up to them. I'll also compare the b5's...

Nice to see I'm not alone in thinking the new elacs aren't to everyone's taste. Curious to see what Gene D has to say as he mentioned that he or one of the other more experienced experts were going to review them this qtr if I recall. Maybe we just have different tastes then the people going ga ga over these. I really wanted to feel the same as I thought they would be a perfect fit for the room and budget, but I just can't say I'm as floored as everyone else.

If I were to rate just the f5's, for the money, I'd probably be in the 7.8 to 8.2 range.

Fwiw, I tend to have golden ears as everyone who knows me says my hearing is ridiculously strong as I can hear all the high frequencies like buzzing from overhead lights, mosquito ring tones, etc that nobody else in the office can hear. One time my boss put me in his office and turned on and off a tone generator he found online (so I could not see when he was turning on) as he did not believe I could hear it and had me raise my hand whenever I heard it play. Let's just say he was dumbfounded.

M

Mr_Clean

Audiophyte
Hey Brian, I'm new here and was also interested in both the Elac F5's and the R55Ti's. Have you already received your R55Ti's? And if so, which one do you like better?

D

david8613

Audiophyte
Check out the svs prime series very nice highs, very nice sounding speakers from top to bottom.

M

Mr_Clean

Audiophyte
Thanks guys! Will check out those recommendations.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis