ELAC Debut Reference vs Canton Vento Bookshelf Comparison

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Finally got around to comparing these two. I had previously listened to the ELAC and let bias run my comments - I loved Andrew Jones' Pioneer branded speakers for the value they represented, and as such, did not put the time in to really listen.

Here I have each speaker connected to its own Emotiva UPA-1 which were used as the switching mechanism to listen to one speaker or the other.

The Canton's sensitivity was a bit lower, so it needed to be turned up about 1 - 2 dB to match. However, the Canton was much more willing to play loudly - the ELAC's tweeter really started to sound strained as volume increased. So I tried to keep the volume at or slightly below 70 dB from my couch.

But that's really where any in-depth reviewing ends with the ELAC. As I commented before, the ELAC sounded good on axis, but as soon as you move one or two seats over, there is a significant timbral shift. Sounds like the ELAC is playing through a tube, the further off axis you go. Perhaps if it was 1980, the ELAC would fair better, but it's pretty disappointing to hear that anyone today is designing a speaker with no regard for off axis performance.

My initial impression of the ELAC was very positive, because on axis, there is excellent frequency extension for a soft dome tweeter. But it seems that is the price being paid, you gain sibilance in brass and cymbals that is not common in soft domes, but you lose the ability to produce consistent sounds across the width of a couch.

Additionally, the Canton being only slightly more expensive at MSRP (and often found on sale) was a world away in cabinet quality. Knuckle test nearly embarrassed the ELAC on its own, but when you factor the rounded cabinet and quality painted finish of the Canton, the cheap feel and likely easily scratched vinyl wrap on the ELAC really fall short in comparison. It should be noted that the Canton series is roughly 5+ years old with the ELAC being brand new.

I listened to most of Tool's 'Fear Innoculum', various Rush, even Adele, and every single song was a landslide towards the Canton. Even with bass notes, the Canton could play lower and sound much more detailed.

Just to be sure I wasn't being unfair in some way, I called upon my associate with far better ears to offer his opinion:

As loyal as he is, he too wanted to be sure and got up close:

Even to his superior ears, both Bass:

And High frequencies sounded better:

Sebastian agreed, the Canton was the clear winner!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Finally got around to comparing these two. I had previously listened to the ELAC and let bias run my comments - I loved Andrew Jones' Pioneer branded speakers for the value they represented, and as such, did not put the time in to really listen.

Here I have each speaker connected to its own Emotiva UPA-1 which were used as the switching mechanism to listen to one speaker or the other.

The Canton's sensitivity was a bit lower, so it needed to be turned up about 1 - 2 dB to match. However, the Canton was much more willing to play loudly - the ELAC's tweeter really started to sound strained as volume increased. So I tried to keep the volume at or slightly below 70 dB from my couch.

But that's really where any in-depth reviewing ends with the ELAC. As I commented before, the ELAC sounded good on axis, but as soon as you move one or two seats over, there is a significant timbral shift. Sounds like the ELAC is playing through a tube, the further off axis you go. Perhaps if it was 1980, the ELAC would fair better, but it's pretty disappointing to hear that anyone today is designing a speaker with no regard for off axis performance.

My initial impression of the ELAC was very positive, because on axis, there is excellent frequency extension for a soft dome tweeter. But it seems that is the price being paid, you gain sibilance in brass and cymbals that is not common in soft domes, but you lose the ability to produce consistent sounds across the width of a couch.

Additionally, the Canton being only slightly more expensive at MSRP (and often found on sale) was a world away in cabinet quality. Knuckle test nearly embarrassed the ELAC on its own, but when you factor the rounded cabinet and quality painted finish of the Canton, the cheap feel and likely easily scratched vinyl wrap on the ELAC really fall short in comparison. It should be noted that the Canton series is roughly 5+ years old with the ELAC being brand new.

I listened to most of Tool's 'Fear Innoculum', various Rush, even Adele, and every single song was a landslide towards the Canton. Even with bass notes, the Canton could play lower and sound much more detailed.

Just to be sure I wasn't being unfair in some way, I called upon my associate with far better ears to offer his opinion:

Strange that the Elac speakers should change timbre off, axis, according to these measurements it should have pretty consistent off-axis response up to high treble.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Strange that the Elac speakers should change timbre off, axis, according to these measurements it should have pretty consistent off-axis response up to high treble.
Thanks for this, I could not find any decent measurements!

You can see resonances starting at 600 hz up through 2khz - The peaks and dips are consistent in the early reflections.

It begs the question of if ELAC bothered to take these comprehensive measurements themselves, because this shows multiple resonances at and around the crossover of 2200 hz. Directivity peaks and then dips before and after the crossover - that is a timbral shift. And being right in the midrange, is very audible!

Seems like they employed their waveguide to produce excellent listening window (+/- 30deg) response up to 20 kHz which is not common for soft dome tweeters. But somewhere in its design and implementation, the midrange performance was ignored.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief

No fair - I see that you hid some dog food behind the Canton tweeter!!! :cool:

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Which Canton model is that? I'm sure you've posted it elsewhere, but I can't remember.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Canton Vento offers a surprising amount of bass for its size!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like Vento 830.2 or 820.2 from the color of the driver.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My bad, it is the 830.2

The MSRP was something like $1499 but they are easily found NEW for around $800/pr. Again, it is an older design so I think that helps drive down the cost.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis