Egg carton for soundproofing?

A

Aalin Galyna

Audiophyte
Why can't we use egg carton as soundproofing foam is a fairly often asked issue. Because of their shape and composition, egg cartons have a theoretically proven ability to act as sound absorbers. The egg carton's jagged design scatters and deflects sound waves, which lessens echo and reduce the sound to certain frequencies. This soundproofing technique is just temporary and may not always yield the desired results. You can choose this for short-term use. However, it is always advised to purchase soundproofing items or materials from the market to achieve the necessary sound reduction coefficients, which vary depending on the material and thickness.

Egg cartons are inexpensive, easy to install and can be used to some extent for your studios and rooms.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why can't we use egg carton as soundproofing foam is a fairly often asked issue. Because of their shape and composition, egg cartons have a theoretically proven ability to act as sound absorbers. The egg carton's jagged design scatters and deflects sound waves, which lessens echo and reduce the sound to certain frequencies. This soundproofing technique is just temporary and may not always yield the desired results. You can choose this for short-term use. However, it is always advised to purchase soundproofing items or materials from the market to achieve the necessary sound reduction coefficients, which vary depending on the material and thickness.

Egg cartons are inexpensive, easy to install and can be used to some extent for your studios and rooms.
Egg cartons absorb squat. The diffuse the sound, but that's not absorption. Also, I'm not aware that anyone has created a tested NRC for them, so it's impossible to calculate the coverage needed when using egg cartons. Also, are you referring to the paper ones, or the foam type?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Putting egg cartons on your walls is against fire codes and very dangerous. Just don't do it.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Soundproofing is one thing:
Keeping outside sounds out
and keeping sounds in the room in.

Sound absorption is another:
Reducing sounds bouncing off the walls, floor & ceiling.

Egg cartons don't do a good job of absorbing, because they only absorb a narrow band of frequencies.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Too thin to be an effective absorber for anything other than high frequencies.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
OP sells egg cartons?
Maybe a chicken farmer , I can’t understand why anyone would think if this worked everyone would already do it . o_O ;)
I can understand asking about foam-but egg cartons?!!?? I don’t know much about soundproofing but cmon man.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Its Phillip is right. Note the link in the first post. OP is just spamming to promote the link.

highfigh

highfigh

Maybe a chicken farmer , I can’t understand why anyone would think if this worked everyone would already do it . o_O ;)
I can understand asking about foam-but egg cartons?!!?? I don’t know much about soundproofing but cmon man.
The first time I read anything about using egg cartons was in the '70s, by Craig Anterton in Guitar Player magazine. Never thought it was a valid method, partly because I was studying Architecture at the time and we took all kinds of building materials classes that included discussions about acoustics.

Egg cartons are OK for scattering upper midrange or HF sound but that's all, unless they're installed over something that actually absorbs sound and that is a possible way to achieve different results from just absorption or reflection, but I'm not aware of any testing that has been done to quantify the results from the foam vs cardboard versions.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The first time I read anything about using egg cartons was in the '70s, by Craig Anterton in Guitar Player magazine. Never thought it was a valid method, partly because I was studying Architecture at the time and we took all kinds of building materials classes that included discussions about acoustics.

Egg cartons are OK for scattering upper midrange or HF sound but that's all, unless they're installed over something that actually absorbs sound and that is a possible way to achieve different results from just absorption or reflection, but I'm not aware of any testing that has been done to quantify the results from the foam vs cardboard versions.
Yeah I just noticed how low bass waves cut threw walls, didn’t expect egg cartons to help. Maybe it was a valid question or hi frequency?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis