Echo sound of my tv when my receiver is on

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No problem. If you have time for a quick adjustment, check the TV speakers settings on the TV settings menu. You should have a choice of TV Speakers or Optical Out. Set it to TV Speakers for watching TV when you are not using the PS4 and Receiver.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
No problem. If you have time for a quick adjustment, check the TV speakers settings on the TV settings menu. You should have a choice of TV Speakers or Optical Out. Set it to TV Speakers for watching TV when you are not using the PS4 and Receiver.
Hi, when I shift to Optical Out in the sound menu of the tv I don't have anymore sound at all not even from the tv. And of course I still don't have anymore sound from the PS4 to the speakers after you told me to turn off HDMI-CEC in the receiver. I think I told you before that I had to plug the HDMI cable connected to the tv to the HDMI OUT ZONE 2 SUB at the back of the receiver because the tv wasn't synching the receiver "Unknown device". I also want to mention that I connected the HDMI from the cable box to the TV but I saw on the manual for the initial setup guide that the cable box is connected directly to the receiver, I didn't have to do that with my previous Sony receiver and the Sony tv so I don't know if that's the reason why I have these problems...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I missed the cable box if it was mentioned elsewhere. I thought you were using the TV's built in tuner. Yes, it is more difficult when you mix brands. Is there a coaxial digital output on the cable box?

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Hi, when I shift to Optical Out in the sound menu of the tv I don't have anymore sound at all not even from the tv. And of course I still don't have anymore sound from the PS4 to the speakers after you told me to turn off HDMI-CEC in the receiver. I think I told you before that I had to plug the HDMI cable connected to the tv to the HDMI OUT ZONE 2 SUB at the back of the receiver because the tv wasn't synching the receiver "Unknown device". I also want to mention that I connected the HDMI from the cable box to the TV but I saw on the manual for the initial setup guide that the cable box is connected directly to the receiver, I didn't have to do that with my previous Sony receiver and the Sony tv so I don't know if that's the reason why I have these problems...
I updated the new configuration on my devices :

Pioneer receiver connected to Samsung tv :
HDMI OUT ZONE 2 USB to AR HDMI IN 4 (ARC)
ps4 connected to GAME HDMI on the receiver
Cable box connected to tv HDMI IN 3
Optical cable connected to Optical port (back or receiver) and to Audio Out Optical port (tv)

CONFIGURATION PS4 :
SYSTEM :

AUDIO DEVICES :
Input Device (none)
Output Device (TV or amplifier)
Switch output device automatically (checked)

AUDIO OUTPUT SETTINGS :
Primary output port (DIGITAL OUT - OPTICAL)
Audio format priority (BITSTREAM - DTS)

SYSTEM :
Enable HDMI device link (unchecked)

SAMSUNG TV CONFIGURATION :

SOUND :
Sound output (tv speakers)

EXTERNAL DEVICE MANAGER :
Anynet+ HDMI-CEC (unchecked)
Game mode settings :
Game mode (on)
Input signal plus :
HDMI 1 (unchecked)
HDMI 2 (unchecked)
HDMI 3 (unchecked)
HDMI 4 (checked)

PIONEER RECEIVER VSX-934 CONFIGURATION :

SYSTEM SETUP :

INPUT/OUTPUT ASSIGN :
TV OUT/OSD :
HDMI out (main + sub)
Dolby Vision (main)
1080p 4K upscaling (auto)
Zone 2 HDMI (not use)

HDMI INPUT :
BD/DVD : HDMI 1 (HDCP 2.3)
GAME : HDMI 2 (HDCP 2.3)
CBL/SAT : HDMI 3 (HDCP 2.3)
STRM BOX : HDMI 4 (HDCP 2.3)

DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT :
BD/DVD : (no selection)
GAME : Coaxial
CBL/SAT : (no selection)
STRM BOX : (no selection)
CD : Coaxial
TV : Coaxial

ANALOG AUDIO INPUT :
BD/DVD : Audio 1
GAME : (no selection)
CBL/SAT : Audio 2
STRM BOX : Audio 3
CD : Audio 4
TV : (no selection)

SOURCE :
AUDIO SELECT : HDMI
Fixed PCM : (OFF)

HARDWARE :
HDMI CEC : (OFF)
HDMI STANDBY THROUGH : GAME
AUDIO TV OUT (ON)
AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL : (NOT HIGHLIGHTED - NO SELECTION)
AUTO DELAY (ON)

I wrote to you earlier today that I couldn't get any signal from the ARC HDMI from the receiver to the tv and I had to connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT ZONE 2 on the receiver. I've noticed something in the receiver configuration in the section TV OUT/OSD I saw ZONE 2 HDMI (not used), I don't know if it is the reason why I have these problems...

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Yeah, I missed the cable box if it was mentioned elsewhere. I thought you were using the TV's built in tuner. Yes, it is more difficult when you mix brands. Is there a coaxial digital output on the cable box?
I have a cable box Motoral "Verizon" QIP 7232-2 and that's how it looks like :
I only have the HDMI connected to the tv "HDMI IN 3" and the FIOS TV IN coaxial cable connected to a splitter

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Connect an RCA cable from the DIGITAL AUDIO COAXIAL(the yellow one in the picture) output of the cable box into the DIGITAL COAX input on the receiver. Leave the HDMI cable of the Cable Box connected to the TV. Set the receiver HDMI output to MAIN+SUB.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sure it is all very frustrating. Samsung Smart TV's want to be the center of your entertainment universe and want you to plug in a Samsung sound bar. They do not really play well with a mix of other brands when you want your AVR to be the boss, especially since there really is no standard for HDMI-CEC that manufacturers all have to follow. Many folks have just turned it off altogether. It is really an annoyance when you don't want things turning on when you just want the TV on and you have to go and turn a bunch of things off and try to get back to what you were trying to do in the first place.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Connect an RCA cable from the DIGITAL AUDIO COAXIAL(the yellow one in the picture) output of the cable box into the DIGITAL COAX input on the receiver. Leave the HDMI cable of the Cable Box connected to the TV. Set the receiver HDMI output to MAIN+SUB.
Well, I tried that and no change... It's weird that I have to deal with the cable box to get sound from the tv on the receiver, I didn't have to do anything with the cable box with the previous Sony receiver and TV. I remember when I set up this Pioneer receiver in the beginning I had sound at the same time from the receiver and the tv in the speakers with an echo. I tried to fix that issue and after I got more problems...

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
I'm sure it is all very frustrating. Samsung Smart TV's want to be the center of your entertainment universe and want you to plug in a Samsung sound bar. They do not really play well with a mix of other brands when you want your AVR to be the boss, especially since there really is no standard for HDMI-CEC that manufacturers all have to follow. Many folks have just turned it off altogether. It is really an annoyance when you don't want things turning on when you just want the TV on and you have to go and turn a bunch of things off and try to get back to what you were trying to do in the first place.
Well I think it's a pain in the butt... I decided to go back to the settings on the receiver to get sound from the PS4 to the receiver for the main time until I can figure out a solution to get sound from the tv in the receiver speakers. I often use a portable drive on which I have movies/concerts that I plug to the PS4. Now on the receiver I had HDMI - HDMI CEC "ON" , HDMI STANDBY "GAME", AUDIO TV OUT "OFF", AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL "unhighlighted" I can't access, AUTO DELAY "ON". I can get sound from the front left and right speaker but not on the center speaker even if I press "AUTO DIRECT" and I press "SURROUND" on the remote I only get sound from the center speaker in "EXT. STEREO" and "EXT.MONO".

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
When you say sound from the TV to the receiver, do you mean sound from the cable box?

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
When you say sound from the TV to the receiver, do you mean sound from the cable box?
Hi, I don't remember what happened yesterday and I'm really getting lost with all this... However I'd like to avoid connecting more cables, I already have so many in the back of all my devices. What I don't understand is that I didn't have to deal with the cable box to get sound from the tv to the receiver when I used my previous Sony receiver and tv. When I also set up the new Pioneer receiver with the TV I was able to get sound without having connections to the cable box but I had the echo of the TV speakers and it's when I tried to turn off the tv speakers when I got more problems... And I wrote to you in my other post that I went back to the previous settings on the PS4 to get sound to the receiver but I still don't get sound from the center speaker except if I press "EXT.STEREO" and "EXT-MONO" on the remote but it doesn't work with "SURROUND".

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Easy. Go into tv menu, and select TV speakers “off”.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Easy. Go into tv menu, and select TV speakers “off”.
Thanks for your reply. Actually I tried that many times but when I go to the sound menu on the TV I have three choices "TV speakers, Optical and Bluetooth devices", to turn off the tv speakers I have to click on Optical, no more sound from the TV but no sound in the receiver speakers...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Without trying to frustrate you more, just hook the cable box and PS4 directly to the TV with HDMI cables and use the optical cable out of the TV to the receiver. Make sure the optical input is assigned to the TV input. When you want sound from receiver, turn it on and set TV to optical out and it should work.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Without trying to frustrate you more, just hook the cable box and PS4 directly to the TV with HDMI cables and use the optical cable out of the TV to the receiver. Make sure the optical input is assigned to the TV input. When you want sound from receiver, turn it on and set TV to optical out and it should work.
OK. I won't have time to do that today but I'll work on it tomorrow and will get back to you afterwards. Thanks.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
OK. I won't have time to do that today but I'll work on it tomorrow and will get back to you afterwards. Thanks.
OK the cable box and the PS4 are connected to the TV, PS4 "HDMI 2". The optical cable is connected to the receiver and to the optical out of the tv. How do I assign the optical input to the tv input?

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
OK the cable box and the PS4 are connected to the TV, PS4 "HDMI 2". The optical cable is connected to the receiver and to the optical out of the tv. How do I assign the optical input to the tv input?
OK I found the settings in the receiver and assigned to optical input. Now I have sound from the PS4 and from the TV in the receiver speakers when I go on Optical. The only problem I have is that I can't access anymore the receiver settings menu when I go on Home Theater and I get the message "Check device power - check that the device is connected properly then try turning on the device by selecting the button below" but the power is already on when I click on it, it turns off the receiver and shift from TV to Game when it goes back on.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Go into the receiver settings under ASSIGN, go passed the HDMI assignments to the DIGITAL assignments, set the optical input to TV if it isn’t already set by default.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Turn HDMI-CEC to OFF in the receiver, PS4 and TV.
HDMI-CEC is already OFF in the TV . For HDMI-CEC in the PS4 I think you mean "ENABLE HDMI DEVICE LINK", right? And it was already "unchecked". But when I click on "HOME THEATER" and click "POWER ON" it turns off "GAME" and I can't access the main menu settings even if I change to TV...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis