J

Jack N

Audioholic
Is there an alternative way to do EARC if your TV isn't equipped with EARC?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Go through the AVR. Better anyways.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Thanks. I'm about to buy my first modern day AVR so I'm not sure how everything works yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What audio do you need from the tv particularly? I'd consider external streamers and just use tv as display.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
As I mentioned, this is all new to me. What do you mean by "external streamers"?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I mentioned, this is all new to me. What do you mean by "external streamers"?
There's a coupla ways you can originate content in a tv....apps or OTA (over the air) content. If you use one or the other ARC/eARC may be a decent way to get that audio back to the avr from the tv, but I prefer just to use a tv as display and avoid the problems that seem to come fairly regularly with hdmi-cec/arc type setups. I use an Amazon Fire Stick plugged into various avrs....inexpensive and was far more capable than the apps in my smart tv. Newest tvs can do a bit more than the ones I use, but I'd still prefer to use them simply as displays....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I like my display to be just a display too. I’ve used a couple BD players as streamers as well as Xbox oneS. The best IME has been appletv 4K. It’s not the cheapest though.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Is there an alternative way to do EARC if your TV isn't equipped with EARC?
The television is a relatively poor way to stream content. It's not bad if you want to just turn on the TV and use the weak internal speakers, or maybe hook up a speaker bar to it. The apps for Netflix and Disney+ may be convenient, and perhaps the TV works okay with this, but there are better ways to stream content. The key takeaway is that you don't HAVE to use what is built into your TV and if going to a surround sound system, there is a more typical way of doing things.

First, you want to make a list of the stuff you want to watch. Typically this may be: Streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, etc.), Gaming (PS5/XBox), Cable TV (cable box), Blu-ray Disc (BD).

Now, you collect your sources, for streaming a AppleTV 4K, Roku Ultra, Fire TV Cube, or nVidia Shield are all good options. I'm a fan of the Roku Ultra. Get your game console, cable box, and a Blu-ray Disc player of some sort.

Connect your sources directly to the AV receiver...
ROKU --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER
PS5 --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER
CABLE BOX --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER
BD --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER

Now your AV receiver should have speaker and subwoofer cabling connected to all speakers as placed in your room according to the owner's manual and online guides. Typically a 5.1 setup is a good starting point, but if you are spending more and the room supports it, you may go to 7.2.4 or beyond for a full Atmos setup.

Finally, you will need video connected between the AV receiver and the display (TV or projector)...
AV RECEIVER OUT --> HDMI --> TV

If you are just hung up on using the TV as a source for something, then you will typically find that the TV may have a HDMI (ARC) connection, or it may have a optical audio output on the TV. Both the optical audio output and the HDMI (ARC) connection can provide 5.1 audio into the AV receiver. Optical is a VERY common connection on TVs because it works reliably and provides very solid audio, especially for things like speaker bars. But for a proper surround sound system and AV receiver, I would follow the steps above and use separate sources for your setup. The only actual additional purchase you would be making would be that streaming device (Roku).

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Thanks for the info. I do use a Roku but not the Ultra. I got it quite a few years ago and works quite reliably along with the Oppo and cable. Sounds like I won't be needing ARC/EARC after all. Looking forward to using a modern day screen & receiver instead of badly outdated stuff.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
When streaming content from Netflix and the like, ARC can deliver Dolby Atmos from the lossy Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 signal from a Smart TV’s built in apps. The extra bandwidth of eARC is only necessary when certain devices have to be connected directly to the TV to pass multichannel lossless audio through the TV to a receiver.

No streaming service or streaming device is perfect and different service apps will behave a bit differently on different devices. A Roku from quite a few years ago will probably not support 4K, Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+ or Dolby Atmos. Roku has quite a few models out there and some homework needs to be done when wanting to purchase one of their more capable devices.

Last edited:
J

Jack N

Audioholic
Sounds like I'll be updating my Roku too. Thanks for the info.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The television is a relatively poor way to stream content. It's not bad if you want to just turn on the TV and use the weak internal speakers, or maybe hook up a speaker bar to it. The apps for Netflix and Disney+ may be convenient, and perhaps the TV works okay with this, but there are better ways to stream content. The key takeaway is that you don't HAVE to use what is built into your TV and if going to a surround sound system, there is a more typical way of doing things.

First, you want to make a list of the stuff you want to watch. Typically this may be: Streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, etc.), Gaming (PS5/XBox), Cable TV (cable box), Blu-ray Disc (BD).

Now, you collect your sources, for streaming a AppleTV 4K, Roku Ultra, Fire TV Cube, or nVidia Shield are all good options. I'm a fan of the Roku Ultra. Get your game console, cable box, and a Blu-ray Disc player of some sort.

Connect your sources directly to the AV receiver...
ROKU --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER
PS5 --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER
CABLE BOX --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER
BD --> HDMI --> AV RECEIVER

Now your AV receiver should have speaker and subwoofer cabling connected to all speakers as placed in your room according to the owner's manual and online guides. Typically a 5.1 setup is a good starting point, but if you are spending more and the room supports it, you may go to 7.2.4 or beyond for a full Atmos setup.

Finally, you will need video connected between the AV receiver and the display (TV or projector)...
AV RECEIVER OUT --> HDMI --> TV

If you are just hung up on using the TV as a source for something, then you will typically find that the TV may have a HDMI (ARC) connection, or it may have a optical audio output on the TV. Both the optical audio output and the HDMI (ARC) connection can provide 5.1 audio into the AV receiver. Optical is a VERY common connection on TVs because it works reliably and provides very solid audio, especially for things like speaker bars. But for a proper surround sound system and AV receiver, I would follow the steps above and use separate sources for your setup. The only actual additional purchase you would be making would be that streaming device (Roku).
I'm not wild about using TVs to stream, but Roku has been slow to update their capabilities at times.

When I first bought my Samsung Q6 I used it to stream because my Roku couldn't stream HDR10+. Due to issues with ARC, I decided to input everything (including my Roku) into my AVR as you suggested. I honestly didn't notice any difference between HDR10 and HDR10+ and the Roku has been less hassle.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like I'll be updating my Roku too. Thanks for the info.
I like Roku, but AppleTV 4K, nVidia Shield, and Amazon Fire TV are all other options. Pick one which works for you and your budget.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I like Roku, but AppleTV 4K, nVidia Shield, and Amazon Fire TV are all other options. Pick one which works for you and your budget.
I like to stream from my HTPC if I can. However Netflix and Amazon will not stream Atmos from Windows, and nor will the BPO Atmos immersive audio which is making great strides. However my LG OLED TV does stream in very high quality from the required apps, and it is surprisingly glitch free. I just am not a fan of hunt and peck remotes. It seems that eARC is very glitch free compared to ARC, which I cold never get to work properly.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I've been happy with Roku and really don't have a reason to jump ship, from what I know anyway.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Roku products are currently on sale at Bestbuy with the Ultra at $79.99. Often, Costco will have their Roku Ultra/Roku Streaming Stick 4K combo pack on sale for $99.99. Its regular price is $129.99.

To sweeten the pot, Bestbuy purchases of certain products include free trials of a few different streaming services. There are currently three service offers included with the purchase of a Roku device.
357164B0-523E-45A4-992D-F74C5D5F53DA.jpeg

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Wow. That's a pretty good sale. I'll have to check into it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis