EA buys Bioware & Pandemic

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
On the heals of Bungie "leaving", MS is losing more exclusivity?

http://www.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idUSWEN162920071011

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Electronic Arts Inc (ERTS.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday it is buying two video game studios for more than $800 million in a deal that fills a weak spot in its games lineup by adding role-playing and action titles.

Under the deal, EA will acquire BioWare Corp and Pandemic Studios, privately held firms that have been partners since a 2005 deal brought them together under VG Holding Group with backing from private equity firm Elevation Partners.

Shares in EA rose as much as 1.3 percent to $59.44 in extended trading after the deal was announced. In the regular Nasdaq session the stock fell 2 percent to close at $58.69.

EA said the deal would be dilutive to its fiscal 2008 earnings by 30 cents to 40 cents per share. Excluding special charges, the purchase would reduce EA's earnings by about 5 cents a share in its fiscal fourth quarter, which concludes at the end of March.

It could also boost EA's revenue by more than $300 million a year, Chief Financial Officer Warren Jenson told Reuters in an interview.

"We're very excited about the revenue potential. We see that in both '09 and '10 to be in excess of $300 million," Jenson said. EA had just over $3 billion in revenue in 2007.

BioWare is the maker of a series of critically acclaimed and best-selling role-playing games, including "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" and the "Baldur's Gate" series.

Pandemic makes military-style action and shooting games such as "Mercenaries", "Star Wars Battlefront" and "Full Spectrum Warrior."

"The reason we did this deal is because it's an incredible strategic fit with EA and there is an unbelievable collection of talent from BioWare and Pandemic," Frank Gibeau, head of EA Games, said in an interview.

"It also puts us in categories that we're not in right now," Gibeau said.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Baldur's Gate games pretty much sucked IMO. Mercenaries is a different story, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with. I haven't been a huge fan of EA recently, but then I don't like too many sports games (just NHL :D )

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
IMHO, the Baldur's Gate series of games is one of the best ever. But then, it doesn't make sense unless you compare within the same genre. If you don't like the genre at all, then that is a different story. To me though, those games (along with other Bioware games) have provided hours of entertainment far surpassing any other game by any other company.

I wonder what will come of this acquisition. Though I have much less time these days to play games, I will be saddened to see Bioware turn out the crap that is more popular. Hope I'm mistaken.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis