Dynaudio Excite X14 Bookshelf Speaker Overview.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
As strange as it may sound, it is hard to believe that Dynaudio is still an unknown audio company to many people. This company was established in 1977 and has been responsible of creating respectable audio products worthy of mention every time good sound and craftsmanship are used in the same sentence. I've had the opportunity of auditioning some of their speakers (including their Excite X12 speakers) and I must say that I really like their products. One of the first things I look for in a speaker is built quality and these guys shine on that department. Not long ago, they updated their X12 speaker with their X14 model which is also a two-way, rear-ported design.
1014dynaudio.promo_.jpg

This model looks identical to the Excite X12 except for the grille. The X14's grille is attached with concealed magnets as opposed to the X12's which uses plastic snap locks. Other than that, they look pretty much the same. The 1" fabric-dome tweeter in both models features a proprietary Precision Coating. Both the X12 and the X14 feature a long-throw, 5.7" woofer with a small, lightweight voice-coil. According to the company, the spider suspension and voice-coil on the X14 were redesigned to improve headroom and the accuracy. Also the tuning of the bass port has been refined, and the crossover is a new design used on their more expensive Focus line. Honestly, the X14 is among are the best bookshelf speakers I have ever heard. Have you heard them or any other Dynaudio speaker in action? Share your impressions!

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • High frequency driver: One 1" silk-dome tweeter.
  • Low frequency driver: One 5.7" magnesium-silicate polymer-cone woofer.
  • Frequency response: 50Hz–23kHz, ±3dB.
  • Sensitivity: 85dB/2.83V/m.
  • Impedance: 8 ohms.
  • IEC power handling: >150W.
  • Dimensions: 6.7" W x 11.2" H x 10" D.
  • Weight: 14.3 lbs.
  • Finishes: Rosewood, Walnut real-wood veneers; Satin Black or White lacquers.
Price: $1,500/pair.

Click on the following thumbnails to zoom in.
1014dynaudio.3.jpg Excite_detail7.jpg 1014dynaudio.2.jpg

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't heard any Dynaudios in a few years, but I was always fond of their sound and build quality as well. These look to continue the traditions :) Only dealer that has them in my area is about an hour away, but I may have to drop by and give them a listen. ("fisheye" tweeters look familiar too :D )

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I put two pairs of the X-14 in a house a couple of months ago and will be adding a pair in the living room. These don't need to be in a book case to fill out the sound and in the house where I installed these, the kitchen is open to the informal dining area an beyond that is the Sun Room, which is close to 50' in total length, 9' high and 12' wide. To the left of the informal dining area is the Living Room and off of the Kitchen is the hallway to the front door and Living Room. The sound is exceptionally full and balanced, with excellent bass- no sense of straining. When I was told they were much improved over the previous model by the manager of the US consumer office for Dynaudio, I was a bit skeptical. Once I had a chance to play them here and install them, I'm a true believer.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
No doubt a well made speaker, I demoed the X12's ($1.2K) twice but u can get a very similar tonal match with a pair of Epos Epic 2's for $400, on sale, with a slight and I mean a slight less depth ... to my ears. maybe the new x-over, grill magnets & bass port tuning are worth it.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
What speakers did you end up with?
I had to put it on hold for the moment. Something unexpected came up, but I'm still searching, my friend.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis