Dynamic range vs frequency response

Y

Yup

Enthusiast
First, appologies if this is not the best part of the forum where to post this question but I landed here after delving a bit deeper into DVD-A vs SACD (and seen a couple of postings on the "dynamic range" in the article series followups). While it is related to that discussion somehow, this is a bit more of a general question.

In short: All the discussions/articles I've seen so far (pointers to the contrary would be highly appreciated) seem to decouple "dynamic range" from frequency response. My EE (actually CE, but _supposedly_ with some signal processing knowledge ;) ) intuition tells me that when measuring the dyamic range of e.g. a speaker it would be different if e.g. 1 kHZ sinusoid was sweeped from 0 dB / noise floor to (whatever_undistorted_max) dB SPL than if the same as done at 20 Hz or 20 kHz (resp. min / max reproductible by the speaker).

Put it simply, from all the info I could gather so far "dynamic range" it seems more of an "aggregate" measuerment (of sorts) instead of a function of frequency i.e. different "dynamic ranges" for different frequncies.

Hoping that the above made some sense and this is not exactly OT in this forum, TIA for any links/enlightment on the matter.

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
"dynamic ranges"

Yup said:
First, appologies if this is not the best part of the forum where to post this question but I landed here after delving a bit deeper into DVD-A vs SACD (and seen a couple of postings on the "dynamic range" in the article series followups). While it is related to that discussion somehow, this is a bit more of a general question.

In short: All the discussions/articles I've seen so far (pointers to the contrary would be highly appreciated) seem to decouple "dynamic range" from frequency response. My EE (actually CE, but _supposedly_ with some signal processing knowledge ;) ) intuition tells me that when measuring the dyamic range of e.g. a speaker it would be different if e.g. 1 kHZ sinusoid was sweeped from 0 dB / noise floor to (whatever_undistorted_max) dB SPL than if the same as done at 20 Hz or 20 kHz (resp. min / max reproductible by the speaker).

Put it simply, from all the info I could gather so far "dynamic range" it seems more of an "aggregate" measuerment (of sorts) instead of a function of frequency i.e. different "dynamic ranges" for different frequncies.

Hoping that the above made some sense and this is not exactly OT in this forum, TIA for any links/enlightment on the matter.
You touch a question here not covered by manufactures of equipment or the education of engineers like me.

The lower the frequence the more power you need at a give frequency as more and more air has to be set in motion. The crossover filters in most laudspeakers divide the input power to the relevant speaker in the loudspeaker.

The more linear the phase of the crossover filter the better, as this is the requirement for a correct signal seen in the time domain. The phase linear filter ensures the signal you here is heard exactly at the right time and provides the best soundstage.

If we assume the speakers are ok, its relatively easy to design amplifiers which seen from the terminals of the loudspeaker shall behave as a current supply with theoretical unlimited upper level. Luckily we don't need an unlimited upper level, as there is a resistance/impedance in the speakers limiting the current and further humans can't stand unlimited sound pressure. The better amplifier you use, the less sensitive it is to the impedance of the speakers.

The more "ideal" or stable the impedance is in a speaker the more compromises will be taken with respect to the phase linearity.

I don't now if have ansvered on "dynamic ranges", but hope I have identified what to concentrate on.

Richard

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis