DVR picture SUCKS ***

D

Dweeb

Enthusiast
I just got my DVR hooked up today and come home to find out the picture looks extremly "pixleated" (SP)? Its not clear... Is there anything i can do to help the picture quality... I have it connected with regualr composte vid cables... IT only supporst s-video :-(.. Would an s-vid connection serve me better?
Thanks
JD

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
An S-Video connection will help some but it won't go from sucks to WOW.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You will want to check many things - immediately after switching everything to S-Video make sure the DVR is setup for the highest quality level of recording available, if there are different varieties.

One of the big things about DirecTV w/Tivo or cable with integrated DVR functionality is that it typically takes the native MPEG stream and puts it straight to the hard drive, unencoded, so you are looking at the original when you play it back.

D

Dweeb

Enthusiast
My receiver is dish network..... And i don't know to check to see what setting its on... I don't know if there is a way to do that even. Could the fact that my tv is 16:9 have anything to do with it?

T

Tee-HTF

Audioholic Intern
Dweeb said:
My receiver is dish network..... And i don't know to check to see what setting its on... I don't know if there is a way to do that even. Could the fact that my tv is 16:9 have anything to do with it?
Hi Dweeb,

I'm using a 510 DVR from Dish Net via S-Video & the PQ has always been realy good. Composite video will not provide bette PQ over S-Video, if you run S-video you should see a change in PQ. I know it was a big difference for me on all my tv's, i have a total of 4 DVR's in the house. I know its a bit much but being able to use the functions no matter what room you are in is great!

Also check your Dish signal to see what your strength # is, i'm peaking out @ 115, and lowest is 99. That might have something to so with PQ being bad, if so have them come out give you th estrongest signal strenght possiable. The one thing i have notice too is the DVR's PQ is better than the one stand alone box (301) we have.

Last edited:
D

Dweeb

Enthusiast
Tee-HTF said:
Hi Dweeb,

I'm using a 510 DVR from Dish Net via S-Video & the PQ has always been realy good. Composite video will not provide bette PQ over S-Video, if you run S-video you should see a change in PQ. I know it was a big difference for me on all my tv's, i have a total of 4 DVR's in the house. I know its a bit much but being able to use the functions no matter what room you are in is great!

Also check your Dish signal to see what your strong it is, i'm peaking out @ 115, and lowest is 99. That might have something to so with PQ being bad, if so have them come out give you th estrongest signal strenght possiable. The one thing i have notice too is the DVR's PQ is better than the one stand alone box (301) we have.
Thanks for that info.. Im going to go ahead and get an s-vid connection... Do you know if monster cable is actually better than any other cable? Ive got monster component cables connecting my xbox but thats only because monster is the only people that make them... Also there was a setting on my DVR for 16:9 televisions.. The picture quality is better but still.. fuzzy.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
1. There are better values than Monster - ask in the A/V interconnects section.

2. What KIND of DVR do you have? Brand/Make/Model
Quality settings would be set within the DVR.

3. If you have a HD capable TV, then I stronly recommend looking into a HD DVR from Dish - it will make a huge difference.

D

Dweeb

Enthusiast
The DVR that i have is the Dish 510... As far as i know its made by echostar i think. Here is apicture of it..

And i am looking to get the HD DVR but thats going to be down the road a little.

Last edited:
T

Tee-HTF

Audioholic Intern
"As far as i know its name by echostar"

You are correct.

I want to go HD but i'm not willing to give up my DVR for so little programming at the momment. The HD-DVR 921 model from Dish can only be purchaced from dealers, and cost $1,000! I will wait until they come down and then i will jump on one and have the best of best world's. Here is a picture of the 921.

DISH Player-DVR 921

Features:

-250 GIG Hard Drive
-1 DVI I
-1 OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
-1 HDTV COMPONENT VIDEO OUTPUT (Y, PB, PR)
-2 DISHWIRES (IEEE 1394 FIREWIRE) Enabled via future software upgrade.
-2 USB 2.0 CONNECTIONS (1 front, 1 rear) Enabled via future software upgrade.

-1 COAXIAL TV OUTPUT
-1 OTA/CABLE 8VSB HDTV/SDTV COAXIAL ANTENNA INPUT

-2 COAXIAL INPUTS FROM SATELLITE ANTENNA/SWITCH

-2 SDTV COMPONENT VIDEO OUTPUTS (RCA JACKS)

-1 SDTV COMPONENT VIDEO INPUT (RCA JACKS)
RECORD 2 WATCH 1, Record Off-Air Digital Broadcasts

-SDTV PIP

-Integrated Off-Air ATSC Tuner
INTERACTIVE
480I 480P 720P 1080I

-25 HRS HDTV Recording
180 hours Standard Definition Recording
Watch and record in Dolby Digital when available.

-Standard Definition PIP
on-screen Caller ID WITH PHONE COMPANY SERVICE

DIMENSIONS 5.25" X 16" X 14.25"

Last edited:
D

Dweeb

Enthusiast
Tee-HTF said:
"As far as i know its name by echostar"

You are correct.

I want to go HD but i'm not willing to give up my DVR for so little programming at the momment. The HD-DVR 921 model from Dish can only be purchaced from dealers, and cost $1,000! I will wait until they come down and then i will jump on one and have the best of best world's. Here is a picture of the 921.

DISH Player-DVR 921

Features:

-Combined standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) two-tuner satellite receiver that provides Picture-In-Picture. (PIP)

-Includes DISH Video-On-Demand Service that allows you to pause live TV, play, stop, fast forward, fast reverse, skip forward etc.

-250 gigabyte hard drive. Up to 180 hours* SD recording, up to 25 hours* HD recording, or a combination of the two.

-Up to 9-day extended Electronic Programming Guide.
im with you on this one...Thats why i got just the regular old DVR.. IM hoping that that thing has HDMI.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis