H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Curious what everyone would recomment for me to set up my 50" Sony Wega KFE TV with from my satellite receiver... Either Monster DVI to HMDI cable or Ultralink Component wires .

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Dvi is a pure digital video single along with a coax or fiber optic cable for sound.The hdmi carries both it's a matter of choice or number of connection you have and proper use of them.Also with dvi and hdmi there is no conversion factor as there would be with comp cables like from analog to digital and visa versa.

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Which of the 2 would give a better overall picture ?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Dvi vs. comp! Dvi should but its very close some could argue that point but digital to digital should out preform digital to analog back to digital!!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I seen it and read it before. It's a good read for sure!

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
I can tell you right now with 100% sureness. Cable and Sat. companies DO NOT SUPPORT DVI or HDMI connections with their boxes. You have a high chance of having fuzzy outside edges, not complete filled screens, lines etc. Component works alot better for the time being. Save the high end connections for DVD etc.

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Jad2 thats kinda what I've been seeing so far.. I've switched back from componet (video 4) and HDMI (video 6) about a million times and cant really tell th edifference at all.. However I do notice a difference on the DVD player so I think I'll stay hooked up the way I was before... HDMI with the DVD player and the Component on the sat box.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

My experience has been there is not much of a difference between HDMI/DVI and component video with a CRT based TV. With the Digital based technologys such as LCD, DLP, and LCoS HDMI/DVI looks better than component. If they both look the same to you, go with the one that works best for your set-up. Or pick the one that costs less.

Last edited:
G

godfatherofsoul

Audiophyte
JAD2 said:
I can tell you right now with 100% sureness. Cable and Sat. companies DO NOT SUPPORT DVI or HDMI connections with their boxes. You have a high chance of having fuzzy outside edges, not complete filled screens, lines etc. Component works alot better for the time being. Save the high end connections for DVD etc.
Funny, I'm looking at an H20PH Direct TV hi-def box and there is the HDMI connection. I've also installed many Direct TV boxes with DVI and had very few problems. Are you saying that they don't know how to troubleshoot these connections or their boxes don't have it?

Cheers!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
rgriffin25 said:
My experience has been there is not much of a difference between HDMI/DVI and component video with a CRT based TV. With the Digital based technologys such as LCD, DLP, and LCoS HDMI/DVI looks better than component. If they both look the same to you, go with the one that works best for your set-up. Or pick the one that costs less.
The bigger the screen, the more noticable it will be. Unless you are watching a LOT of HD programming, I'd say just go component. I compared HDMI and component with a Comcast digital box on a Samsung DLP and component actually looked better on everything but HD programming.

C

Cobalt Cable

Audiophyte
hd newbie said:
Curious what everyone would recomment for me to set up my 50" Sony Wega KFE TV with from my satellite receiver... Either Monster DVI to HMDI cable or Ultralink Component wires .
While the KFE is a HDTV it ultimately displays your picture in analog (uses electrical current to determine shades/brightness of color) so you shouldn't see any appreciable difference in performance using HDMI vs. Component cables.

There are a few variables that come in to play here,
1) If you use Component and the device you have it hooked to doesn't support 720p/1080i/1080p resolutions over its component jacks then your picture will suffer vs. HDMI so it really depends.

2) The type of digital-to-analog converter your HDTV has, which could cause a slight increase or decrease in picture quality HDMI vs. component. The conversion from digital/analog will happen no matter which cable you choose either at your TV or the satellite box. So the internal converter in the satellite box or your HDTV has a part in this twisted tale. ;)

If you are sure your satellite/dvd or receiver supports those resolutions then component is a very viable choice (and a much cheaper one).

When you get into discussions about copy protection (where component is non-compliant) then HDMI becomes the cable of choice. Length of your cable runs can also be an issue so be cautious when using HDMI cables over 10', at this length not all cables are created equal and can adversely effect your image quality. Component however, doesn't have any issues with length of cable runs.

Hope I've helped more than confused you :) Enjoy your awesome HDTV!

H

hd newbie

Audioholic Intern
Thank you everyone for all of your help.. I've decided to stay with my Component cables since I switched back and forth a million times (seems like it anyways ) and found no difference, this way I could use the HDMI cable from the DVD player to the TV (where I did see a difference, slightly).

Cheers !!

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
JAD2 said:
I must respectfully disagree. I've been using my Dish box with both HDMI and Component, and both work flawlessly with my receiver. Theoretically, HDMI and DVI should yield a better picture , but I'm unable to see any differences. In the future, Component will probably go the way of Composite and RF, so if you're buying now, HDMI is probably the best way to avoid early obsolescence.
Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.:rolleyes:

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
Geno said:
I must respectfully disagree. I've been using my Dish box with both HDMI and Component, and both work flawlessly with my receiver. Theoretically, HDMI and DVI should yield a better picture , but I'm unable to see any differences. In the future, Component will probably go the way of Composite and RF, so if you're buying now, HDMI is probably the best way to avoid early obsolescence.
Your not getting what I said. Whether it works or not and it all most always works in some fashion, if you have any problems with HDMI or DVI inputting, the Sat and Cable company will not lend SUPPORT. THEY DONT SUPPORT those connections, their receivers may have those on them!!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Geno said:
I agree with Geno. If you are buying new equipment and you want to future proof your investment as much as possible, HDMI is the way to go. You will need it for HDCP, high bandwidth audio codecs, and higher video RGB bit depths of 10 and 12 (DVI is limited to 8 bit RGB and no audio support) that can help eliminate contour artifacts in many digital displays.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
JAD2 said:
Your not getting what I said. Whether it works or not and it all most always works in some fashion, if you have any problems with HDMI or DVI inputting, the Sat and Cable company will not lend SUPPORT. THEY DONT SUPPORT those connections, their receivers may have those on them!!
You are completely wrong. Maybe I have a fuzzy idea of "support," but Time Warner told me to swap in my cable box for a new one when I started getting occasional HDCP errors over HDMI/DVI.

Maybe *your* company doesn't "support" DVI/HDMI, but your experiences do not encompass the whole world :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Well let me weight in on this my HD box has a dvi out jack but I'm not using it because the cable company said "IT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK,WE DON'T SUPPORT IT."So without asking to many difficult question or passed off from one tech support staff to another,I was happy to go with comp for now!:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis