DVI, HDMI, Component Cables

D

dpjones

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I'm wanting some opinions/advice on video cables. When running all of my wire for my HT, I ran a high quality Component cable to where my projector is going. I later realized that I probably should have used a DVI cable instead. How much better is the picture quality with a DVI cable over a component cable? Also, if the quality difference is small, could it possibly be an issue later down the road. On the same note, if I were to run a new cable, would a HDMI cable be smarter than a DVI cable. I know I would have to use an adapter for now on the ends since I don't know of any components with HDMI connectors. The real bummer is that there isn't any pre-amps that I know of (at least in my price range) that have DVI switching. I've been looking at B&K, Sunfire, and Adcom. If I were to run DVI, I was considering buying an external video switcher to handle this.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

S

shlomore

Enthusiast
dvi cable

dpjones

i can tell you from my experience that dvi cable is far more better then any high end component cable.
ofcourse you should have a proper monitor such as plasma,lcd or projector with it.note that there are few kinds of dvi cables (analog,digital,single,double)so make sure to have the proper one to conect.my advice if you can conect a dvi to your tv ,do it! you wont regreat.
about the hdmi cable,as far as i learn the subject,there is not yet dvd-a and sacd thru hdmi,and beside both (dvi & hdmi )do the same with trasfer video thru the cable. hdmi though will have also the audio in it.
if you have a dvd with dvi out for digital direct video,and i link for digital direct audio you are more then happy-trust me !
i hope i could clear some of it !

U

Unregistered

shlomore,

Thanks for the response. I have not personally seen a system running DVI to know if there is a difference, so I apreciate the opinion on that. Unfortuneately I wasn't thinking when I ran wire and now I'm going to have to perform some drywall work to run a new cable. :(

As far as HDMI, I read that along with the audio, there is a lot more bandwidth available for future video enhancements over a DVI cable. So I'm kind of wanting to run HDMI, but then I have to buy converters to make it plug into the projector and satelite box/DVD player.

M

mercsvt

Audiophyte
Running a HDMI cable would be your best bet, Monster carries a HDMI female to DVI male adapter part#125168 and retails for 29.95 each, partly because of your situation with the dry wall, the head of a HDMI adapter is only 1 1/2" (easier to pull through walls than a large DVI head) and also because of future applications in progressive scan technology. Pricing between HDMI and DVI cable runs are approx the same.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis