DVI and component connection with SAT & DLP

M

machineman

Audiophyte
I bought a new Samsung DLP HD TV and a Samsung HD Direct TV box. Connected everything via component video through my Pioneer receiver and had a excellent picture.
People were telling me the best picture quality for HD is through DVI. So I went and bought a high dollar DVI cable and connected it direct from the SATV to the TV. My picture quality was really bad. I tried several different settings on the SATV box but SATV HD, HD over the air, everything was no where as good as the component video. I had several different people look at it and they all agreed that all picture quality was better through the component video.

My question is why????? :confused:
Any help would be appreciated.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
I had almost the same problem with my cable co. Did you go into the menu and select the proper source for DVI. Maybe you still had it going through your component video source. The cable guys arent much help most of the time with these types of problems.

S

Seismo

Enthusiast
Did you get the proper DVI cable for your DLP?. There are a few types.....I don't know about Samsung, but for my Toshiba I use DVI-D.

Seismo

M

machineman

Audiophyte
Thanks, I didn't know there are special cables. I only saw the one type. Nowhere in the Samsung manual is this mentioned. :confused:

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
machineman said:
Thanks, I didn't know there are special cables. I only saw the one type. Nowhere in the Samsung manual is this mentioned. :confused:
Yeah, my samsung has the DVI-D cable. The bad thing about DVI interface is it can only handle video signals and not multichannel audio like HDMI can.

Rex

Rex

Audioholic
Seismo said:
Did you get the proper DVI cable for your DLP?. There are a few types.....I don't know about Samsung, but for my Toshiba I use DVI-D.

Seismo
A DVI-I cable will not plug into a DVI-D plug.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis